EV - Convince Me They Are Great

2,960 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RegentCoverup
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for a very interesting thread! An old dog is learning new tricks! Actually splitting time between this and OU/Neb..an it's a good game so far..Kudos!
73s de N4WJP
That appears to be just the beginning, Pecos.
MaxTeller
If they can make a true solid state battery it will be a game changer, however, I have been hearing about break through new batteries for 30 years. Still waiting.
RegentCoverup
This is the Musk battery project to which I referred.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-02/tesla-battery-expanded-as-sa-energy-minister-lauds-benefits/12622382

As Pecos stated, it's not the ability to generate energy from alternative sources, it's our ability to store it. Wind and solar are available, it's the part where it's available when you don't need it, ex at night. Thus the problem. So batteries on the grid will help ease a lot of problems in the power cycle. This project would have helped the blackout problem last winter, but the politicians effed it.

Combustion engines won't disappear from the earth, we'll just rely on them less and less. Probably more diesel, too.

You can look at what market share for consumers will look like by looking at the total production of the major automakers, who are cranking out more and more hybrid and EV powertrains. We have reached a sort of inflection point, IMO, where the average family of four should strongly consider a hybrid or EV vehicle if they are purchasing a 4-door sedan. 4 door sedans are damned near commoditized, it's difficult to differentiate between many of the brands, especially if you put them side by side. Good news is, the prices continue to drop.

People that look at it from a purely environmental view, are missing the bigger picture. It's more a game of externalities. People are quick to forget that the cost of transportation is roads, enforcement, traffic, etc. Not just individual vehicle cost. EV vehicles can be made to be safer, since they are lighter and their durability will likely exceed that of combustion power trains. It's entirely possible today to retromod older cars into EV vehicles. Keep an eye on that, because it tells you that demand for EV is beating production on some level.

I'm long transportation and govtech, short auto manufacturer, because the supply chains are gonna be choked a bit. Companies making carburetors, radiators, mufflers, are gonna take a hit. But the automaker that comes up with an mass produced EV/Hybrid in the entry level market that is affordable is going to crush the market. My bet is it will be Hyundai or another Korean co. But they seem enthralled with hydrogen.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.