Food concept you'd like to see in Waco?

8,150 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by forza orsi
BaylorGuy314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is there any restaurants or similar that you'd like to see Waco get that it doesn't have now?
BaylorGuy314
I'll start off.

I'd like to see a Babe's Chicken. I think it would do well here.
4th and Inches
Babes chicken would be amazing! Also, a good Korean barbecue restaurant would be awesome. And in the never going to happen category, Papadeaux
bularry
An interesting chef driven concept of New American variety. Like a Pax Americana or Provisions in Houston

Adult sandwich shop like Local Foods or Adair Kitchen
Dia del DougO
La Fiesta back to the same great food they served before they changed the recipes to cheap crap and put in a bar.

Leslie's Chicken Shack reborn.

A really good independent barbecue place with a comfortable indoor restaurant that's open when I'm hungry.

Another Pollo Rico/Regio type place in a decent part of town that won't go under in a year.

A good seafood place with plenty of good non-fried fare that's not too snooty or pricey.

Ludwig von Missi
BaylorGuy314 said:

I'll start off.

Wasn't Gregg Glime floating the idea of a Babe's in the old Wild West space? Did they ever find anything to fill that space?
BaylorGuy314
I had forgotten about that but, yes, you are correct.

Babe's is family owned so no franchising.
davesburgerbarn
Crash Davis said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

I'll start off.

Wasn't Gregg Glime floating the idea of a Babe's in the old Wild West space? Did they ever find anything to fill that space?
Gregg was just trying to create buzz to his listing (Wild West space). I reached out to Babe's 5 years ago about bringing a franchise to Waco. They are not interested in tapping into this market.
Ludwig von Missi
davesburgerbarn said:

Crash Davis said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

I'll start off.

Gregg was just trying to create buzz to his listing (Wild West space). I reached out to Babe's 5 years ago about bringing a franchise to Waco. They are not interested in tapping into this market.
Thanks Did he ever find anything for that listing?
Dia del DougO
Here's a wild concept. How about some well prepared food on a plate instead of a paper basket with a big corporate logo on it? I think that kind of thing could work with the right crowd.
jsb223
I have a way of measuring customer service at a sit down restaurant.

The attention to customer service is directly proportional to the size of the iced tea glass.

The larger the glass, the less you will see of your server.

BaylorHistory
Dia del DougO said:

Another Pollo Rico/Regio type place in a decent part of town that won't go under in a year.

I'm not sure if you've tried El Norteno on 18th and Dutton, but it's damn good and $15 for a whole chicken, onion, rice, beans, 8 tortillas, and salsa verde.

The inlaws are from Mexico and it's just about the only Mexican food they'll eat in town.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Ludwig von Missi
BaylorHistory said:

Dia del DougO said:

I'm not sure if you've tried El Norteno on 18th and Dutton, but it's damn good and $15 for a whole chicken, onion, rice, beans, 8 tortillas, and salsa verde.

The inlaws are from Mexico and it's just about the only Mexican food they'll eat in town.
I'm looking forward to trying Hecho en Waco. I'd be interested to know what your in-laws think about it if y'all try it after it opens.
BaylorHistory
Crash Davis said:

BaylorHistory said:

Dia del DougO said:

I'm looking forward to trying Hecho en Waco. I'd be interested to know what your in-laws think about it if y'all try it after it opens.
It seems like opening day is a few weeks away. I'll give it some time to settle and take them over for sure.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Dia del DougO
BaylorHistory said:

Dia del DougO said:

Trucks are cool, but I gotta have some A/C and sit comfortably. I got no place to take food and hang in Waco when I'm on the road.
Dia del DougO
jsb223 said:

The attention to customer service is directly proportional to the size of the iced tea glass.

Never works for me. The smaller the glass just means the longer I have to wait bone dry trying to eat with no drink before wait person finally comes around.
Pablo Fanque
I'm still holding out with Yogi waiting on a Bennigan's.
Hubbs
Katy Trail Ice House on the river.
BearChick
Pablo Fanque said:

Aren't we all?
BearChick
BaylorGuy314 said:

I had forgotten about that but, yes, you are correct.

Babe's is family owned so no franchising.

There's a petition here to bring one to Flower Mound. I support that petition. The wife of one of Brian's co-workers is a member of that family. I made sure Brian brought the petition to his attention.
davesburgerbarn
Crash Davis said:

davesburgerbarn said:

Crash Davis said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

I'll start off.

Thanks Did he ever find anything for that listing?

Subzero, Pura Vida and Giddy Up Glamour

Dividing up the space
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/mouthwatering-burgers-tx/

Save 20% when you mention SicEm365
BCL79
How about a rebirth of the infamous Cocky Crow Ice House Pub. Long gone but not forgotten on beautiful Knox St in Dallas before the metrosexuals took over ......
PartyBear
I wouldnt say no to Papadeaux. I know a prominent realtor was showing the Papas Brother's company spots 10 years ago for one of their concepts (not necessarily Papadeaux's). However they concluded at that time that Waco doesnt have a demographic to pay the prices they charge for lunch. I think it is fair to say quite a bit has changed in Waco over the past 10 years. I believe they are being talked to again about coming to the new mall complex slated to be built across 35 from Central Texas Market place. I would say the same about the past 5 years as well to the guy who said Babe's told him 5 years ago they were not interested in tapping into the demographic here.
PartyBear
Pablo Fanque said:

What is funny Pablo is that there are only about 23 Bennigan's left nationwide. That chain is almost gone.
Hubbs
PartyBear said:

I wouldnt say no to Papadeaux. I know a prominent realtor was showing the Papas Brother's company spots 10 years ago for one of their concepts (not necessarily Papadeaux's). However they concluded at that time that Waco doesnt have a demographic to pay the prices they charge for lunch. I think it is fair to say quite a bit has changed in Waco over the past 10 years. I believe they are being talked to again about coming to the new mall complex slated to be built across 35 from Central Texas Market place. I would say the same about the past 5 years as well to the guy who said Babe's told him 5 years ago they were not interested in tapping into the demographic here.
One of my friends calls on the Pappas chain for work. He asked about Waco for expansion and was told the same thing. However, that was pre Fixer Upper blowing up, so who knows if they have taken another look.
Grumpy
I know that a lot of folks don't like Tex-Mex and Mexican chains, but I'd love for Waco to have at least one Pappasito's, El Fenix, Uncle Julio's or similar. Any of these would be better than most of the Mexican offerings it currently has.
Valkyrie
Just for a bump, I would like to see one of those Brazil style restaurants come to Waco.
BellCountyBear
jsb223 said:

I would actually prefer them to just leave the whole pitcher and leave me alone.
BellCountyBear
Pancho's would also be a good resurrection.
Keyser Soze
Picking up Tommie's slack

Naked Sushi

edit - yes, this is a real thing
Buddha Bear
Drove through Waco a couple of weeks ago and saw 2 food items I thought I'd never see there:

1) An $8 glass of iced tea (Magnolia)
2) Cambodian cuisine food truck (not exactly famous for their food)

My how Waco has changed
PartyBear
Is it really 8 bucks for an ice tea? Ouch they need to come up with a new TV show rather quickly to keep bringing people in willing to pay that for just the tea portion of the meal. Just as an aside probably more Californians go eat there (at our old Elite) than Waco folks now. I hope for Waco's sake this bubble doesnt burst after the show is gone for a couple of years.

As to the food trucks. Yes Waco has a decently diverse food truck area down town. Very smaller version of Austin like in that regard.
Gust Avrakotos
A Max's Wine Dive
forza orsi
Carrabba's. Waco has a dearth of good Italian restaurants. The best ones here would be below average in most cities. I would way prefer a good locally-owned one, but if we're talking about chain concepts, Carrabba's does a good job.
CorsicanaBear
Waco has plenty of eye-talian places, but no Italian places. While Moroso's qualifies as Italian, its limited menu (basically just pizza, although pretty good wood fired pizza), extremely limited wine list and no bar make it not so great.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.