New Orleans Restaurants

17,859 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Biscuits_and_Gravy
CammoTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Suggestions for new places to try?

bularry
"New" in what sense? I guess I'm asking how often you go and where you've been.
CammoTX
bularry said:

"New" in what sense? I guess I'm asking how often you go and where you've been.
I go once a year and usually stay in the quarter.

I would consider a place like Cochon or August "new," even though they have been running for almost a decade.

"Old" would be Antoines, Commander's, Arnaud's, etc.
bularry
Ahh, that helps.

First, I suggest you get out of the quarter, just for a change.

I consider Cochon or Butcher (little sister next door) a must every time I go. I think the food is fantastic. Pesce is same restaurant group, but I have only been once and my service was pretty poor, but others i know absolutely love it. These are in the warehouse district near the museum.

If you want to see a bit different area, a few from the ByWater might intrigue you. Mariza is fantastic. Italian inspired food. I also liked Bacchanal if you are a person who enjoys wine.

If you want a real local fine dining feel, head way out to Uptown to Clancy's or La Petite Grocery. Great spots. Guy's po boy on Magazine is another classic.

Hubbs
I just got back and we go about once a year, my wife goes usually 2-3 times. Here's where we went this last trip:

Mahony's Po-boys- Shrimp and Fried Green Tomato was ridiculous

Meril's- Emeril's new place in the warehouse district. Tapas type restaurant and everything we tried was good, except the grilled zucchini. Excellent old fashioned.

Cochon Butcher- One of my favorites, always something new on the menu.

GW Fins- Excellent seafood in the quarter. Been there forever, but still really good. They even have Stranahan's whiskey

Peche- Also one of my favorites. Seafood based and my wife and I usually get a bunch of small plates and try a little bit of everything.

A few others that I like:
R'Evolution- Death by Gumbo is incredible
Luke
Bacchanal- Wine and Cheese shop, usually have a jazz band playing, dinner is served out back.
Three Muses
Stanley- Breakfast

bularry
for breakfast, I love the Lower Garden District area. Mojo coffee, Surrey's and District Donuts.
JasonPhillips
I'll get on this tomorrow. I go about 10-15 times a year and really try to stay in the food/drink/music know down there. I'll give a bunch of suggestions.
Lund Vernquist
I get out of the Quarter: Dante's Kitchen, Jacque-Imo's, Boucherie.
bularry
cool. i had brunch once at Dante's and thought it was outstanding but rarely see it talked about.
bularry
Quote:

They even have Stranahan's whiskey
if beer or whiskey are your thing, then Avenue Pub is the place for you. Killer french fries too that hit the spot at midnight if one has been imbibing (or so I've heard)
JasonPhillips
bularry said:

Quote:

They even have Stranahan's whiskey
if beer or whiskey are your thing, then Avenue Pub is the place for you. Killer french fries too that hit the spot at midnight if one has been imbibing (or so I've heard)
Avenue is 24/7. Definitely been there well after midnight a time or two.
sicemkentucky
BU_Diehard said:

Jacque-Imo's...man, what a place. Get the Shrimp and Alligator Cheesecake as your appetizer. Holy crap it's good.
JasonPhillips
sicemkentucky said:

BU_Diehard said:

Jacque-Imo's...man, what a place. Get the Shrimp and Alligator Cheesecake as your appetizer. Holy crap it's good.

And go to next door to Maple Leaf, for live music.
CammoTX
We went to Stanley for breakfast a few years back and I thought it was a little overrated.

I have been to Luke in San Antonio and it is quite good. Not sure how SA lucked into a John Besh restaurant, but good for them.

One of my old favorites before Katrina was Old Nawlins' Cookery on Conti. Amazing bread pudding. We usually hit up Mothers for red beans and rice and Central Grocery for a muffaletta. I don't mind waiting in line.

Bularry - I am fine with going outside the quarter. Sucre is one of my favorite dessert places in all of America!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations
JasonPhillips
Elizabeth's is the answer for breakfast in Nola.
bularry
I'm with Cammo, never understood the love for Stanley. Been 3 times and was disappointed every time. No more

Have heard great things about Elizabeth's for breakfast but never been
FranchiseBear
Some great recs already listed. I'll add Tommys (WH district) and Irene's in Quarter. Both creole Italian and very good. Think they were married and after divorcing Irene took menu across town and opened her own place.

Have you experienced Friday lunch at Gallatoires? It is truly an experience worth the effort to sit in main dining room. Plan 2-3 hrs of excessive food, drink and boisterous behavior. Sport coat req'd. One of my favorite things to do.

I Haven't been to Shaya yet but it is one of hottest restaurants in country - not typical New Orleans fare.
Brickhouse
Saint Lawrence for Brunch/Corned Beef Hash

Angeline for upscale southern food and excellent drinks and service.

Both are in the FQ
CammoTX
FranchiseBear said:

Have you experienced Friday lunch at Gallatoires? It is truly an experience worth the effort to sit in main dining room. Plan 2-3 hrs of excessive food, drink and boisterous behavior. Sport coat req'd. One of my favorite things to do.

Haven't been there for lunch, but I ate at Gallatoires for dinner the night before the Saints first playoff game after Katrina. During the middle of the meal everyone in the restaurant started saying "who dat" and sang When the Saints go Marching In." I will never forget that experience as long as I live.
bularry
Brickhouse said:

Saint Lawrence for Brunch/Corned Beef Hash

Angeline for upscale southern food and excellent drinks and service.

Both are in the FQ
St Lawrence is a new one for me. I'll check it out.
JasonPhillips
FranchiseBear said:

Some great recs already listed. I'll add Tommys (WH district) and Irene's in Quarter. Both creole Italian and very good. Think they were married and after divorcing Irene took menu across town and opened her own place.

I Haven't been to Shaya yet but it is one of hottest restaurants in country - not typical New Orleans fare.

Shaya is absolutely phenomenal. If you haven't been here, make it a priority to go asap. I've been 4 times now, and it just keeps getting better.
bularry
My daughter says 1,000 figs is as good as Shaya and much, much cheaper. She's 22, so take that for what it's worth, but if you want to eat Mediterranean and spend a bit less, check out 1,000 Figs.
JasonPhillips
bularry said:

My daughter says 1,000 figs is as good as Shaya and much, much cheaper. She's 22, so take that for what it's worth, but if you want to eat Mediterranean and spend a bit less, check out 1,000 Figs.
Shaya really isn't that expensive.

For those that go, I have a suggestion. The middle of the menu is all small plates. You select 3 for $15 or 5 for $23. I would definitely go that route, along with a Hummus (the lamb ragu is my favorite) and the avocado toast and matzo ball soup. The entrees, sandwiches, etc are awesome, but I would definitely say go this route if it's your first time.
J.R.
FranchiseBear said:

Was lucky enough to have Friday lunch and dinner there (never left) during Madi Gras. That was up there! Truly a special place. Stick with whatever fish is fresh, have prepared simply and start with the Crab Maison..... A couple a Sazeracs and Ramos Gin Fizzes and you will be fine.
J.R.
JasonPhillips said:

sicemkentucky said:

BU_Diehard said:

And go to next door to Maple Leaf, for live music.
oh, yes, oh yes.
bularry
I have read recent reports that Gallatoires has fallen off.

Need some ideas for a big group that isn't expensive. Willing to be out of the main city (Metairie, etc.)
FranchiseBear
Bularry- I wouldn't say Gallatoires food is the absolute best in town but man that experience is hard to beat. I went most recently 12/15 and I did not notice a drop off.

How many people are going to be in your party? Chowhound has good forums on various cities where you can get some great feedback. There may be a thread over there that addresses what you are looking for - I use it a lot when traveling to different places and want to eat as the locals do. Enjoy your trip to New Orleans.
JasonPhillips
bularry said:

Need some ideas for a big group that isn't expensive. Willing to be out of the main city (Metairie, etc.)
Drago's
bularry
JasonPhillips said:

bularry said:

Drago's

I was actually thinking Drago's. Really, it is the only place I know of not in the city.

For more info, we'll be there for my daughter's Tulane graduation so it will likely be a big group, maybe 20 people. None of the places I'd normally go can handle that many people and some in the group aren't exactly foodies, so need some options on the menu.
Hubbs
bularry said:

Mandina's?
J.R.
FranchiseBear said:

Bularry- I wouldn't say Gallatoires food is the absolute best in town but man that experience is hard to beat. I went most recently 12/15 and I did not notice a drop off.

How many people are going to be in your party? Chowhound has good forums on various cities where you can get some great feedback. There may be a thread over there that addresses what you are looking for - I use it a lot when traveling to different places and want to eat as the locals do. Enjoy your trip to New Orleans.
Gallatoirs is an interesting place. Is the food great...no. Is the food cutting edge ....no. Is the food all that...heavens no. However, I'd say it's a singular restaurant and that worth something. I'd compare it to Georges. There is nothing really like it and it's been around forever and that's saying something. The deal there is to get in, relax, let you waiter take care of you. Ask him what's the freshest fish and have it prepared simply. Start with the Crabmeat Maison. Order up a Sazerac or a Ramos Gin Fizz or Milk Punch.. Bring on the food and have some decent wine and linger, linger. That's what G's is all about.
CammoTX
Just booked a table at August. Pretty pumped.

Mods - is there a way to move this to the Bear Cave?
bularry
Saw a write up on a new spot in GD called Turkey and the Wolf. Anyone tried it?
JusHappy2BeHere
Joey K's on Magazine is underrated... Shrimp Magazine is awesome...

and Muriel's on Jackson Square is just awesome... try the Crayfish Crepes
Hubbs
Hopefully Joey K's has gotten their act together. I was there a few years ago and it was the worst dining experience I've ever had in NO.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.