Best beers you can't get in TX

8,079 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BaylorGuy314
rjwellman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I travel a fair amount for work and I'm always trying to find good beers that I can't get at home. Regardless of where they're from, what are your favorite beers that can't be found here in TX?

I would've said Bell's, but looks like that's changing.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds out of IN is great and they only distribute in IN, OH, IL and WI. Luckily, I'll be in WI next week, so I plan to bring some back.

What say you?
BaylorGuy314
I am going to get railed for this but I like light beer. I respect an ale but I like my beer to be light and refreshing. Maybe that's because drinking a stout or ale in 100 degree heat on a boat or at a tailgate or on the beach just sounds miserable to me.

As such, I really like caribbean lagers. My far and away favorite is Carib which I've yet to find stateside. I've seen it online but they won't ship to Texas. I also like Piton out of St Lucia. Kalik out of the Caymans isn't bad either.

tommy1005
Hawaii Nui Brewing Kauai Golden Ale.....Hawaii is the only place I've found it. I even called and they did say they would ship it if I had a liquor license.
Colt B.
Staff
BaylorGuy314 said:

I am going to get railed for this but I like light beer. I respect an ale but I like my beer to be light and refreshing. Maybe that's because drinking a stout or ale in 100 degree heat on a boat or at a tailgate or on the beach just sounds miserable to me.

As such, I really like caribbean lagers. My far and away favorite is Carib which I've yet to find stateside. I've seen it online but they won't ship to Texas. I also like Piton out of St Lucia. Kalik out of the Caymans isn't bad either.

Carib is fantastic.
Colt B.
Staff
I've never been able to find Firestone in Texas. I had it Las Vegas and it might be my favorite of all time.
rjwellman
Colt B. said:

I've never been able to find Firestone in Texas. I had it Las Vegas and it might be my favorite of all time.
I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Spec's here in Dallas, but could be wrong.
BearlyHeardFrom
You are not. You can get it pretty much everywhere in the major cities.

Russian River Brewing from CA. Makers of Pliny the Elder and pioneers of sours in the U.S.
Colt B.
Staff
rjwellman said:

Colt B. said:

I guess I was more referring to draught. I've never taken much time to look for it in a bottle.
GoldMind
Westvletern 12 is tough to find.
Osobuzzed
New Glarus Brewing Co. out of Wisconsin- by far my favorite, but will never distribute outside of Wisconsin. Can't wait to get up there this summer and drink everything i can...Went to GABF this year and they were consistently the most crowded/largest line without running out (looking at you jester king).... Spotted Cow and Serendipity are my favorites.
rjwellman
Osobuzzed said:

New Glarus Brewing Co. out of Wisconsin- by far my favorite, but will never distribute outside of Wisconsin. Can't wait to get up there this summer and drink everything i can...Went to GABF this year and they were consistently the most crowded/largest line without running out (looking at you jester king).... Spotted Cow and Serendipity are my favorites.
I'll be in Milwaukee Wednesday and Thursday. My rep I'm riding with was talking about Spotted Cow and how it couldn't get shipped outside of Wisconsin. I'm planning on taking a larger-than-normal suitcase and packing some home with me.
deemus
My favorite beer seems to be no longer available in DFW, not sure about Texas.

I LOVE. I'm using the word love about a beer here. Love, Murphy's Irish Red Ale. I have looked everywhere, and asked the desks at every place I go to, but to no avail.

If any of you can find said Murphy's Irish Red and bring me some to DFW, I would gladly offer a finder's fee.

Rahr's Texas Red is not as good, and the same for a couple of other reds.
lbtx
rjwellman said:

I travel a fair amount for work and I'm always trying to find good beers that I can't get at home. Regardless of where they're from, what are your favorite beers that can't be found here in TX?

I would've said Bell's, but looks like that's changing.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds out of IN is great and they only distribute in IN, OH, IL and WI. Luckily, I'll be in WI next week, so I plan to bring some back.

What say you?
I know a guy who was traveling for work and bought an extra suitcase to check at the airport to bring beer back home.
snowmanbu
put this in the wrong thread.

I had Bells 2 hears ale last night. it was good.
J.R.
Colt B. said:

rjwellman said:

Colt B. said:

I guess I was more referring to draught. I've never taken much time to look for it in a bottle.
It's all over the better beer bars in Dallas, and Austin. They are one of the best out there. Their Primo Pils is one of my favs. Pilsner with a little hops , but nothing like a pale or IPA.
J.R.
I travel a lot in PA in the summer, and I'll be damned if aren't some amazing breweries there. Yuengling for large mass produced Lager. Dang good on a hot day. Victory, Troegs, Yards and Stouds. Yum.
snowmanbu
I'm going to be spending two days in Seattle and two day in Portland at the end of April. Any suggestions for must see breweries?

BUdebater
Sweet Baby Jesus in the DC area. Very heavy and dark and so, so good. Even if you don't like stouts its worth a glass if you happen upon it.
Backporch
Belikin....the beer of Belize.
El Oso
If you find yourself in Illinois and Wisconsin (maybe Minnesota, but I haven't had it there), anything Point Brewery put out is worth drinking. Point Bock may be the best, but it's a seasonal. It comes out in January and you usually can't find it on the shelves by mid February.

I'll have to see if my brother has the list from the stuff we drank in San Francisco last year.
GoldMind
tommy1005 said:

Hawaii Nui Brewing Kauai Golden Ale.....Hawaii is the only place I've found it. I even called and they did say they would ship it if I had a liquor license.

Kona makes several varieties you can only get in Kona. That's part of the reason we go to Kona every chance we get. I need to get to Kauai again as well just to try thisn.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Funky Town Bear
Spending the week in Portland, Maine. Very underrated beer town. Have tried some great stuff. Highly recommend a trip up here. Geary, Allagash, and Shipyard to name a few.
Doc Holliday
TreeHouse Brewing Co.

Pretty much any juice bomb.
Doc Holliday
St. Bernardus Abt 12 is a damn good Quad.
Hubbs
Whistler Brewing Co.
BrutalBear
Anything from Ohana brewing.
BrutalBear
However, if you are in Texas, I highly recommend Cactus Land Brewing Co. in Adkins, Tx.
http://cactuslandbrewing.com/
ColomboLQ
Breweries:

Treehouse (Massachusetts)
Trillium (Massachusetts)
The Alchemist (Vermont)
Hill Farmstead (Vermont)
Other Half (New York)
Kane (New Jersey)
Veil (Virginia)
Tired Hands (Pennsylvania)
Voodoo (Pennsylvania)
Angry Chair (Florida)
J Wakefield (Florida)
Parish (Louisiana)
Central Waters (Wisconsin)
3 Floyds (Indiana)
Toppling Goliath (Iowa)
Perennial (Missouri)
Side Project (Missouri)
Surly (Minnesota)
Bottle Logic (California)
Russian River (California)
Abnormal (California)
de Garde (Oregon)
Fremont (Washington)
Holy Mountain (Washington)

That list should get you started. Good luck and have fun.
UPBaylor
Pliny the Elder by Russian River Brewing in California. (mentioned above, but worth highlighting again)

A buddy of mine pulled out a case of this for the dads at an elementary kids get together at his house a few months ago. Wow! I've had a lot of IPA'a and DIPA's, but this one was in a league of its own. I wish we could get distribution here in Texas.

Anyone have a suggestion for an approximation beer to Pliny that is distributed her in Texas?
BearlyHeardFrom
CA or Lake Tahoe is the only place I've ever been able to find it. The key is to have a friend or relative in CA that will buy some and ship it to you..... to share with me.
#LetsGoBrandon
UPBaylor
BearlyHeardFrom said:

CA or Lake Tahoe is the only place I've ever been able to find it. The key is to have a friend or relative in CA that will buy some and ship it to you..... to share with me.
Yep, my friend got his on a work trip out west.

But, I'm looking for a close approximation that I can actually buy here in Texas. Any thoughts?
BearlyHeardFrom
Ah. You mean a Pliny clone. My bad.
#LetsGoBrandon
ColomboLQ
UPBaylor said:

BearlyHeardFrom said:

Yep, my friend got his on a work trip out west.

But, I'm looking for a close approximation that I can actually buy here in Texas. Any thoughts?
Sorry man, but you won't find anything close here. Plus the trend is now for IPA makers to make more of the NEIPA style than the West Coast Pliny style of IPAs, so it's unlikely you will find a Pliny clone anytime soon in Texas.
Mitch Henessey
I've lived all over, and travel all over for work. When I moved out of Texas to New York a few years back, I thought I'd miss Texas beers. I was wrong.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic beers brewed in Texas. However, there are great beers almost anywhere you go, and the best ones I've had have all been brewed outside of Texas. Current favorites are by Trillium in Boston, Burial out of Asheville, NC, and Lawson's Finest Liquids out of Vermont.
GoldMind
BaylorGuy314 said:

Urban legend that Kalik is made with seawater
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.