Pellet smoker v. Big Green Egg

2,189 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hustlenflow
hustlenflow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I fell in love with smoking last fall. Bought a cheap kettle charcoal smoker as a starter, and now it's time to step up my game. People seem to love the BGE, and it sounds like you can set it and forget it. But it's VERY pricey. Any thoughts on this debate would be greatly appreciated.

Sic OSU.
bularry
Yeah, I'm looking to get me a ceramic cooker, too. Agree, BGE is a $ investment and I would use it that often, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger, yet.

those pellet smokers are fairly easy to use I've been told.
J.R.
I have had probably every smoking contraption under the sun. Here is my take. Pellet smokers are "fine" and they are idiot proof. However, Texas BBQ purists will not find them legit. BGE (brand) are also interesting relative to what you what to cook on it. Here is what I found.... I really liked it, but I found brisket and ribs harder to do as there is not an offset other that that plate thing. I really liked it for pork shoulder and whole chickens and chicken parts. I also really liked it for steaks, pork chops and big chops. If you are or get serious about brisket and ribs, an offset smoker is the best for that. It is kinda about what you have and what time would you want to invest. I've actually come full circle in my old age. I spend the extra $ and buy really good BBQ if that is what we want, which has gotten terribly expensive in Dallas and Austin which I'm familiar with. Furthermore, just give me a Weber Kettle and I can make that work for most things I cook and I kinda know my way around smoker and grill Hope this helps. Let me know if you would like anymore info.
hustlenflow
J.R. said:

I have had probably every smoking contraption under the sun. Here is my take. Pellet smokers are "fine" and they are idiot proof. However, Texas BBQ purists will not find them legit. BGE (brand) are also interesting relative to what you what to cook on it. Here is what I found.... I really liked it, but I found brisket and ribs harder to do as there is not an offset other that that plate thing. I really liked it for pork shoulder and whole chickens and chicken parts. I also really liked it for steaks, pork chops and big chops. If you are or get serious about brisket and ribs, an offset smoker is the best for that. It is kinda about what you have and what time would you want to invest. I've actually come full circle in my old age. I spend the extra $ and buy really good BBQ if that is what we want, which has gotten terribly expensive in Dallas and Austin which I'm familiar with. Furthermore, just give me a Weber Kettle and I can make that work for most things I cook and I kinda know my way around smoker and grill Hope this helps. Let me know if you would like anymore info.
Many thanks. I am actually leaning towards the Weber Smokey Mountain at this point. As you said, the pellet smokers seem to be outdoor ovens, which is not really what I'm after. I really enjoy the art of it - for instance, controlling the smoke and flavor using wood chips throughout the smoke. The WSM offers 2 cooking spaces and separate access to the fire box (which I don't have now). I think you could say it's indirect heat because the water bowl goes under the bottom cooking grate and above the charcoal grate. Because of the quality of the design and construction, it sounds like it holds the heat for quite a while compared to mine - though not like the BGE, of course. Have you ever used the WSM?
BearnMI
Since I smoke brisket, pork ribs, beef ribs more often, I chose a pellet over the BGE. If we cook steaks more frequently, I would lean toward the BGE. But we cook Picanha or Tri-tip and I reverse sear those to perfection every time on the Pellet. I prefer to be a purist and if I had time, would buy an offset But, I don't have time to nurse the fire for hours. Just smoke or cook everything based upon internal temperature, not cook time. Pellet vs Offset time will differ. Buy a good pen thermometer and cook to temperature.
J.R.
hustlenflow said:

J.R. said:

Many thanks. I am actually leaning towards the Weber Smokey Mountain at this point. As you said, the pellet smokers seem to be outdoor ovens, which is not really what I'm after. I really enjoy the art of it - for instance, controlling the smoke and flavor using wood chips throughout the smoke. The WSM offers 2 cooking spaces and separate access to the fire box (which I don't have now). I think you could say it's indirect heat because the water bowl goes under the bottom cooking grate and above the charcoal grate. Because of the quality of the design and construction, it sounds like it holds the heat for quite a while compared to mine - though not like the BGE, of course. Have you ever used the WSM?
Yes, I have a WSM at my ranch and I think it is excellent, particularly for the $. Highly recommend. It will smoke anything you want. I've done lots of briskets, ribs, shoulder, beef ribs, chicken, quail, dove, salmon ect
GoBearsGo
There is a pit maker in Houston that makes upright smokers that has a firebox on one side and a pellet smoker on the other.

I wish they had that when I had my smoker built. 5-6 hours real smoke and finish with pellets would be a dream.
hustlenflow
GoBearsGo said:

There is a pit maker in Houston that makes upright smokers that has a firebox on one side and a pellet smoker on the other.

I wish they had that when I had my smoker built. 5-6 hours real smoke and finish with pellets would be a dream.
Wow, that's cool.
hustlenflow
J.R. said:

hustlenflow said:

J.R. said:

Yes, I have a WSM at my ranch and I think it is excellent, particularly for the $. Highly recommend. It will smoke anything you want. I've done lots of briskets, ribs, shoulder, beef ribs, chicken, quail, dove, salmon ect
That's great feedback. One last question: Do you have the 22 inch or 18 inch model?
WILLIS
hustlenflow said:

J.R. said:

hustlenflow said:

J.R. said:

That's great feedback. One last question: Do you have the 22 inch or 18 inch model?

22 is hands down the way to go per other WSM owners feedback.
J.R.
hustlenflow said:

J.R. said:

hustlenflow said:

J.R. said:

22 as I have lots of space. It gives you more flexibility.
hustlenflow
Many thanks for all the info.

Sic WVU
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.