Story Poster
Baylor Football

Gameday Thread: No. 7 Baylor faces No. 8 Ole Miss in Sugar Bowl

December 31, 2021

Depth Chart | Class Scholarship Breakdown | Schedule | Big 12 Standings | Roster

No. 7 Baylor (11-2) will face No. 8 Ole Miss (10-2) in the All-State Sugar Bowl on Saturday evening in New Orleans at 7:45 p.m. CT inside the Superdome. 

Quote of the week...

Dave Aranda: “I think the bowl gives us an opportunity to show who we are. I think there is a stage there. There is a platform that we can -- whether it's people we interact with at the hotel, it's the people that are on our plane, it's the fans that are coming to see us, it's all the people that are going to be watching on TV, it's going to be an introduction to Baylor University. It's going to be an introduction to Baylor football and then to all of our last names in terms of not so much what we do, but how we do it and in terms of what drives us. I think that comes out. And so we want to put our best foot forward in regards to that.”

Craig Smoak’s Players to Watch 

Ole Miss — Quarterback Matt Corral  

As Dave Aranda said earlier this week, Corral is the engine in the Ole Miss attack and a winner. This Saturday will be Corral's finale before hearing his name called as perhaps the top quarterback selection in April's NFL Draft. A true dual-threat, the junior has over 3,300 yards passing and 20 touchdowns with an additional 11 scores and nearly 600 yards rushing. Baylor's defense thrives on turnover opportunities, but Corral has thrown just four interceptions this year. 

Baylor — Quarterback Gerry Bohanon

The starting quarterback position is impossible to snub in this game as Bohanon returns from a hamstring injury that cost him the last ten quarters of play. It would have been fun to see what would have happened if Blake Shapen was available, but Bohanon got the party started and now fittingly has a chance to turn off the lights in sweet style. Aranda sounded confident in Bohanon's ability to move around, which is a plus, but he'll need to keep it clean and sharp in the passing game. It's been a while since he's seen a live-action opposing defense.  

Pregame Show | Saturday 5:45 p.m. CT

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: No. 7 Baylor faces No. 8 Ole Miss in Sugar Bowl

105,686 Views | 1230 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Branch155
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pjaeck said:

Time to go into our playbook from the Russell athletic bowl where we beat UNC without a QB
Lol. We don't have Fedora's sorry defense on the other side of the ball this time
Pjaeck
The over/under was 56... Easiest bet ever on that under
FLBear5630
Aranda doesn't warrant an interview? Every other Bowl both coaches were interviewed.
boognish_bear
Jack Bauer said:

Is this the Ole Miss broadcast?

Could they maybe mention that we had to play the B12 CCG without our starting QB and won the game to even get here.
Futbol Bear
The BU offense is so one dimensional that Ole Miss is teeing up on the run game b/c they know GB isn't likely to throw the ball. Playcalling is not helping GB.
Feel The Floyd
Kiffin gets halftime interview but Aranda not so much
Ghostrider
vanillabryce said:

kbrun said:

When is Aranda going to realize that Gerry is not our QB? Hopefully we can fix this next year and not play him until he graduates like we did with Brewer!

If Shapen were healthy, maybe he doesn't start. But he'd probably be in by now.

Yep, I think we go dual qb's if Shapen healthy. Zeno was an idiot to transfer.
MommaBear
Branch155 said:

Pjaeck said:

Time to go into our playbook from the Russell athletic bowl where we beat UNC without a QB
Lol. We don't have Fedora's sorry defense on the other side of the ball this time
GB has passed for a TOTAL of 15 yards in the first half!!! Can we be any worse?
Jorkel
Louise Romano said:

That is the worst first half of offensive football from BU all year. I think even vs TCU was better.

Well at least we are winning? We were losing to TCU and Texas at half
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Baylorbears111 said:

Branch155 said:

Why exactly did we call a timeout?

Poor clock management. Why are you not playing hurry up and wasting a near minute only to a timeout at 8 seconds. Wasted a drive when you need points.
yep, made no sense to run off all that time and then call a timeout, and then run two plays after that.
historian
Jorkel said:

historian said:

Jorkel said:

1) I'm jealous. I love Nick Saban and his rat poison repellent. One poster on here "historian" wish y'all would all die because I think a girl from Alabama broke his heart.
I have no idea what this means.
Not surprised… you think Alabama has had a down year. When it's pretty much been on Par with most of his years.
A lot of people thought Alabama had a down year when they lost too unranked Texas A&M & struggled against LSU & Auburn. I was just repeating the consensus for most of the season. I also said that Bama clearly has improved over the season and are playing great in postseason, as they usually do.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Jack Bauer
The Rose Bowl sucked up all the offense today
FWBear91
4 quarters with no offensive points. That's rough. I hope the D can continue to win this one for us!
Sic 'em!
Ghostrider
RMF5630 said:

Aranda doesn't warrant an interview? Every other Bowl both coaches were interviewed.
they'll probably interview him coming back out of the lockerroom.
Jorkel
Ghostrider said:

vanillabryce said:

kbrun said:

When is Aranda going to realize that Gerry is not our QB? Hopefully we can fix this next year and not play him until he graduates like we did with Brewer!

If Shapen were healthy, maybe he doesn't start. But he'd probably be in by now.

Yep, I think we go dual qb's if Shapen healthy. Zeno was an idiot to transfer.

Dual QBs as in Shapen plays 99% of the game and then GB comes in to get 1 yard for a first down or a goal line TD? That's about all he is good for to be honest.
Baylorbears111
Branch155 said:

Pjaeck said:

No we have Ole Miss. The offense, if only only just mildly competent, should be putting together some drives against this Ole Miss defense.
broncko
Ghostrider said:

Jack Bauer said:

Is this the Ole Miss broadcast?

To be fair, not much to talk about in the game.

This. What are they supposed to do… rehash the pick six over and over and over. Or… talk about how low Bohan's stats are? Or…
Branch155
MommaBear said:

Branch155 said:

Pjaeck said:

GB has passed for a TOTAL of 15 yards in the first half!!! Can we be any worse?
3-6 for 15 yards. Yikes
boognish_bear
Ghostrider said:

What a horrible offensive game to watch. May end up being one of the lowest watched sugar bowls ever.

Which is ironic given all the grief we used to get nationally for playing no defense and having a video game offense that was ruining the game
Married A Horn
Yeah, Abram Smith needs 13 yards in the 2nd half to set the Baylor single season rushing yards record.

Held by Gannaway in 2011.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
DanaDane
RMF5630 said:

Don't they do one coach going into the lockerroom and the other when that team comes out after the half?
Membas09
After this half i know how army fans feel.
Jack Bauer
Joe T set to interview Matt Corral's HS coach in 2nd half...
BearTruth13
Smith rushed for 100+ yards in the first half and we have 0 offensive points. Yikes.
Born_A_Bear
Good answer.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
They're saving the GB run plays for the second half. All part of the genius that is our offensive game plan.
;-)
Forest Bueller
BearTruth13 said:

15 passing yards in the half. Horribad

Yea, Ole Miss rocking it with 35 yards.

Terrible offensive game.
Jack Bauer

Jorkel
historian said:

Jorkel said:

historian said:

Jorkel said:

1) I'm jealous. I love Nick Saban and his rat poison repellent. One poster on here "historian" wish y'all would all die because I think a girl from Alabama broke his heart.
I have no idea what this means.
Not surprised… you think Alabama has had a down year. When it's pretty much been on Par with most of his years.
A lot of people thought Alabama had a down year when they lost too unranked Texas A&M & struggled against LSU & Auburn. I was just repeating the consensus for most of the season. I also said that Bama clearly has improved over the season and are playing great in postseason, as they usually do.

You say it every single year that Alabama isn't that good, down year, beatable. Blah blah blah. It's going to be okay don't have a stroke if they win another title. It's 2022 just forget that Alabama girl who broke your heart 50 years ago
historian
Probably will be interviewed before beginning of second half.
Ghostrider
Jack Bauer said:

Will be interesting with NIL. Do they lose money if they don't play in a bowl
Ghostrider
Who is the backup qb? Drones?
Jorkel
Ghostrider said:

Jack Bauer said:

Will be interesting with NIL. Do they lose money if they don't play in a bowl

If it's written in their contract that they play post season games…I'm sure they will.
Branch155
Ghostrider said:

Who is the backup qb? Drones?
Correct
historian
boognish_bear said:

Ghostrider said:

What a horrible offensive game to watch. May end up being one of the lowest watched sugar bowls ever.
Which is ironic given all the grief we used to get nationally for playing no defense and having a video game offense that was ruining the game
And now much of the SEC runs a similar offense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.