Story Poster
Photo by US PRESSWIRE
Baylor Football

67 Days till Kickoff: Baylor Tops Washington 67-56 in Thrilling 2011 Alamo Bowl

June 28, 2022

As always, keep track of both the stats and roster countdowns in the Offseason Hub!

In 2011, Heisman winner Robert Griffin III led the No. 12 Bears (9-3) to the Valero Alamo Bowl against Steve Sarkisian’s Washington Huskies (7-5). 

Baylor beat Washington by a score of 67-56. The back-and-forth match that featured six lead changes was the highest-scoring bowl game of all time that did not go into overtime. There were 1,397 yards of offense between the two teams, and 777 of those belonged to Baylor. 

Terrance Ganaway led the charge carrying the ball 21 times for 200 yards and five touchdowns. Griffin also recorded 350 total yards and two touchdowns on 24-33 passing. 

The Bears got out to a quick start and led 21-7 after Griffin closed out the first quarter breaking three tackles in the backfield and shooting up the right side of the field for a rushing touchdown.

The Huskies climbed back into the game, scoring 28 unanswered points in the second quarter. UW led 35-24 going into halftime. Terrance Ganaway closed in on the Washington lead with a momentum-shifting 89-yard rushing touchdown right up the middle of the field to start the third quarter.

Ganaway added two more touchdowns in the third quarter to regain the lead for the Bears heading into the fourth. Washington made one last push and took back the lead 56-53.

Ganaway proceeded to add his fourth touchdown of the second half to put the Bears back on top 60-56. After a big stop on defense, Griffin handed the ball off to Ganaway, who finished his incredible Alamo Bowl with a 43-yard rushing touchdown to seal the game.

The No. 12 Bears went on to win the game 67-56. 2011 was Baylor’s second double-digit win season of all time and their first since Grant Teaff’s SWC championship season in 1980. The 2011 season laid the groundwork for the future success the football program would come to have.

Discussion from...

67 Days till Kickoff: Baylor Tops Washington 67-56 in Thrilling 2011 Alamo Bowl

2,087 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Mitch Henessey
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here's a nice shortened version of the Alamo Bowl victory:

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Timbear
My son and I were there. Awesome experience.
historian
I wish I had been. It was great on TV.
JumboShrimper
Id say that's probably the largest contingent of baylor fans at a sporting event ever. There were at least 50-55k there. Wild and exhausting game it was for sure.
tomiathon
This remains the only Baylor football game I've been at that we've won (also the only game ive been to since i was a student in the Dark Years). And it was probably worth all the losses.
Mitch Henessey
I left that game in San Antonio and drove up to Dallas to fly out to Colorado to propose to my wife. We just celebrated our 10-year anniversary. Great memories.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.