Story Poster
Photo by @BaylorFootball
Baylor Football Recruiting

Baylor just won its biggest recruiting battle of all time

August 1, 2022

Dripping Springs quarterback and Baylor commit Austin Novosad‍ officially solidified his commitment to Dave Aranda’s program on Monday evening. The Bears held on to one of the hottest targets in the country as Novosad chose to stick with his pledge to instead of flipping to, Ohio State, Notre Dame or Texas A&M, each of which recently pushed hard to flip the four-star.

The news is massive for Baylor’s 2023 class and is arguably one of the most significant decisions in Baylor’s history. I will talk about why here in a little bit but first let's go through a short version of one of the most talked about recruitments over the past few seasons.

$1.00 SICEM365 TRIAL

Can you believe it has only been two months? Novosad got the Ohio State offer on June 1st and that led to one of the most talked about recruitments I have seen in a long time. Things progressed quickly as he went on his official visit to Columbus on June 10th then took his Baylor official visit on June 17th. It seemed like everything was going to culminate at the Elite 11 Finals at the end of June but then another wrench was thrown into his recruitment as Texas A&M offered on June 25th. That offer came the day before he and his family left for California.

@Elite 11
Austin Novosad made the Elite 11.

Of course, he went out to the Elite 11 Finals and performed extremely well — he was basically a top-five quarterback every single day. He ended up being selected as part of the Elite 11 for 2022. Then he got home and got the invite to the All-American Bowl. 

Novosad was able to go home and enjoy time with his family as there were many conversations after that trip but no decision came. Then Notre Dame offered on July 11th which provided yet another wrinkle in his recruitment.

Then the recruiting rankings finally adjusted and just about everyone in the country thought he was going to flip to another school. Novosad jumped all the way up to No. 89 in the country and the No. 8 quarterback in the class according to 247. The thing no one accounted for was that he was simply good enough to move up rankings even as a Baylor commit. The Baylor brand is growing nationally and we saw it with his jump in the rankings. Did the other offers help? Yes. But he never decommitted and he still made the massive leap.

All of this culminated last when the dead period ended. The four-star prospect went on an unofficial visit to Notre Dame on Tuesday, Texas A&M on Friday, and then Baylor on Saturday before making his decision. The Aggies gave him a lot to think about but the immediate visit to Waco on Saturday completely ended things. The staff put together an event with a bunch of the 2023 commits and that family environment built with strong relationships, the Baylor culture, solidified things.

There were tons of pros and cons about each school he was deciding between, but ultimately, the relationships, culture fit, loyalty, offensive scheme, and trust he has with the Baylor staff won out.

This decision signifies a belief that Baylor will be one of the most elite offensive teams in the country over the next few years. Novosad believes in this staff and what they will be able to get done on the field while also developing him for the NFL.

I mentioned this being the biggest decision made in the 2023 class, and honestly, this may end up being the biggest decision in Baylor football history. We will have to see how this plays out but think of it this way. Novosad is at minimum a top 10 quarterback in the country, but I think he is closer to being a top 6, elite talent. You don’t get a chance to land a prospect like this very often, and some schools never get a chance to land a prospect like this.

Going along with this theme, in today’s NIL age of football, it will be tough for a school like Baylor to compete with Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M; especially for a player at the most important position on the field. But this staff did just that.

Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Austin Novosad on an unofficial vist.

Shawn Bell and Dave Aranda went toe-to-toe with Ohio State’s Ryan Day — who is about to produce a third straight top 15 pick at quarterback — and Texas A&M’s Jimbo Fisher — who has been known as a quarterback whisperer for much of his career. They also beat out Notre Dame which is a program that has some of, if not the best, program history in all of college football.

Ohio State is a blue blood that scores 40 points per game and really accentuates the quarterback position in their offense. They are known as one of if not the most explosive offenses in college football and the best place for top quarterbacks and wide receivers to go in order to be successful.

As for A&M… Baylor just beat the Aggies for an Aggie legacy that they really wanted. Yes, the Aggies were late, but they were late because they believed they could offer Novosad whenever they wanted to and they would still get him. That didn’t happen. Don’t take this part for granted as it is tough for any school in the country, including Alabama, to win a battle for an Aggie legacy that is a priority. Baylor won this battle.

The Notre Dame offer came after they missed out on five-star quarterback Dante Moore‍ so they didn’t end up offering till July 11th. They were always a longshot since they arrived so late but they did get Novosad to take a trip to South Bend this past week. The trip went well, but nothing Marcus Freeman and company sold was enough to sway Novosad from his commitment to Baylor.‍

The staff took a gamble by not taking a 2022 quarterback, even though they could have. Instead, they put all their chips in for a 2023 quarterback who they think is the best quarterback in the country. That quarterback is Austin Novosad. Baylor was his first offer thanks to elite evaluations and an immediate offer following Baylor camp in June of 2021. Many thought it was a mistake to not take a 2022 quarterback but it absolutely paid off.

Baylor has its quarterback of the future and one who has the opportunity to be one of the best in Baylor history.

Discussion from...

Baylor just won its biggest recruiting battle of all time

37,558 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Mothballs
whiattsmith
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Awesome Job GG!
CalmJohn
Best day of my life
2022 Adopt A Bear: Richard Reese - #29, Freshman, Bellville, TX
190 car, 962 yds, 5.1 AVG, 14 TD, 52 LNG, 0 FUM, 13 REC, 89 yds, 6.8 AVG, 17 LNG
Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year
TheDaneCookOfMartialArts
Let's go!!
BUbearinARK
We recruited him?
McCavebear
Yee Haw!!!

How 'bout another Heisman!!!

McCavebear Lives!
903Bear
Welcome home, Austin! You were right all along
vanillabryce
LFG
Johnny Bear
Great news!! This is huge!!!
bearmission8
Awesome news. I can't wait to see this Baylor team that is building. The energy and excitement that is building is crazy I'm a believer in Grayson scale
Bakersdozen
So, sometimes the biggest recruiting wars aren't against Ohio State or A&M but against TT and OK State. I understand your point - our program competed and won, but man I have always loved finding that diamond in the rough, like Jalen Ptire, that no one wanted except us, as I recall. I don't think any player we put in the NFL last year was recruited by Ohio State or A&M. u

So glad we won the recruiting battle against these school. I understand what it says and means, but I still love the underdogs.
Bear2014
its been over a decade since RG3.. Its time we get another one and start a Heisman statue walkway to McLane Stadium
BearlyBeloved
Bear2014 said:

It's been over a decade since RG3. It's time we get another one and start a Heisman statue walkway to McLane Stadium
I'm all for piling up more Heisman's (and RG3 also won other top QB national awards), but we also should provide special ways at McLane to remember ALL the Bears who were the cream of the crop nationally at other positions, such as:

• Biletnikoff Award for Best Receiver--Corey Coleman, 2015
  • Sammy Baugh Trophy for Top Passer--Don Trull, 1962, 1963
  • Jim Thorpe Award for Top Defensive Back--Thomas Everett, 1986
  • Ray Guy Award for Best Punter--Daniel Sepulveda, 2004, 2006
  • Jim Parker Trophy for Top Offensive Lineman--Cyril Richardson, 2013

AND

Consensus All-Americans
  • 1930 Barton Koch, G
  • 1956 Bill Glass, G
  • 1963 Lawrence Elkins, E
  • 1964 Lawrence Elkins, B
  • 1976 Gary Green, DB
  • 1979 Mike Singletary, LB
  • 1980 Mike Singletary, LB
  • 1986 Thomas Everett, DB
  • 1991 Santana Dotson, DL
  • 2006 Daniel Sepulveda, P
  • 2011 Robert Griffin III, QB
  • 2012 Terrance Williams, WR
  • 2013 Cyril Richardson, OL
  • 2014 Spencer Drango, OL
  • 2015 Spencer Drango, OL
  • 2015 Corey Coleman, WR
  • 2019 James Lynch, DL
  • 2021 Jalen Pitre, S

Under CDA, these lists are going to grow.
SonOfZuno
Before you start chiseling on that second Heisman statue for McLane......keep in mind that with the Portal and NIL combo every top player is really nothing more than a year-to-year commitment.
BellCountyBear
BUilt Better
Russell Gym
Great news! Will the other schools intensify their flipping efforts? Their recruitment will definitely not end. Maybe it will become more subtle. How many days until signing day?
Mothballs
Russell Gym said:

Great news! Will the other schools intensify their flipping efforts? Their recruitment will definitely not end. Maybe it will become more subtle. How many days until signing day?

I think they all fired their best shot and came up short. Not too much to worry about from UT, OU or USC joining the competition either as all three seem happy with their current QB situations.
dicenakamura76
Great job covering his recruitment GG!
Johnny Bear
For those that follow recruiting through the years closer than me, assuming we do in fact get the sig on this, how does this compare with signing Jarrett Stidham (to the best of my memory the last consensus 4 star Texas QB we signed out of HS) for the 2015 class?
Mitch Henessey
Johnny Bear said:

For those that follow recruiting through the years closer than me, assuming we do in fact get the sig on this, how does this compare with signing Jarrett Stidham (to the best of my memory the last consensus 4 star Texas QB we signed out of HS) for the 2015 class?
Mothballs
Johnny Bear said:

Stidham's offer list was pretty much a Who's Who list of college football

https://247sports.com/recruitment/jarrett-stidham-32336/recruitinterests/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.