U of Miami's new stadium

2,053 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by atomicblast
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just saw some renderings on line. Looks very nice. Somewhat familiar as well in some ways except opening up to the ocean (perhaps could be intercoastal water way though) rather than the Brazos. Interesting is all the landscaping within the stadium. Not outside but within. Palm trees and other tropical vegetation all over the place--I mean on the second and 3rd deck as well. It seems they have sacrificed seating for alot of that.

Looks nice.

On football scoop.

Also an edit here. I just saw an areal plan the water appears to be a natural small lake or already existing man made lake on campus or one that will be built with the stadium.
Stefano DiMera
Yep, East Lake...small man made lake.

They're getting roasted on Twitter for this..not the stadium.. everyone agrees it's beautiful and looks like a spaceship and SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles.

Most comments bring up lack of attendance and why build a 60k stadium for 20k to show up..My favorite comment was ' how many 401ks will be swindled in the building of this stadium '. I guess the major donor doesn't have a good reputation.

Theyre building an entertainment district Miami Live! next to it similar to the one in Arlington next to Globe Life Field and Jerry World.
Johnny Bear
The rendering does look at least somewhat similar to McLane. Is the propose seating capacity similar?

Edit: posted this simultaneously to the post above. If the 60K number is accurate, that is overkill for the typical number of fans the "U" normally draws.
PartyBear
I was wondering that myself. I thought I would get jumped here for mentioning Miami is essentially very similar to a Baylor or TCU. I think I read the stadium will be even a little larger than you were stating. I think it will seat 65K I thought I read. That seems too large for U of Miami.
Mothballs
PartyBear said:

I just saw some renderings on line. Looks very nice. Somewhat familiar as well in some ways except opening up to the ocean (perhaps could be intercoastal water way though) rather than the Brazos. Interesting is all the landscaping within the stadium. Not outside but within. Palm trees and other tropical vegetation all over the place--I mean on the second and 3rd deck as well. It seems they have sacrificed seating for alot of that.

Looks nice.

On football scoop.

Also an edit here. I just saw an areal plan the water appears to be a natural small lake or already existing man made lake on campus or one that will be built with the stadium.

Sounds like a great venue for the Canes. I'm really happy for them. They've always played in Pro stadiums that they struggle to fill including the days of "The U". It always reminds me of the days of SMU and the Pony Express. The games had to be of national significance in order to fill those venues.
Stefano DiMera
BaylorGrad09
This article actually directly relates it to McLane.

https://footballscoop.com/news/renderings-released-for-proposed-new-miami-stadium

Quote:

Located along Tropical Park's East Lake, this stadium would be the South Beach version of Baylor's McLane Stadium.
Johnny Bear
BaylorGrad09 said:

This article actually directly relates it to McLane.

https://footballscoop.com/news/renderings-released-for-proposed-new-miami-stadium

Quote:

Located along Tropical Park's East Lake, this stadium would be the South Beach version of Baylor's McLane Stadium.

That article suggests the stadium would be built for more than just the Miami football program in also attracting possible NFL pro bowls, college bowl games, Final Fours, major concerts, etc. and hence the capacity well beyond the needs of the canes football program.
PartyBear
I thought it was on campus. It appears it will be more like FCS was. Off campus but close to the campus and owned essentially owned by the university.
Stefano DiMera
It does appear 65k is the proposed capacity .

Johnny Ruiz..the donor..is the guy that started all the NIL controversy last year when he signed former KState basketball player Nigel Pack to a 2 year $800,000 deal.
PartyBear
I'm going to guess the city of Coral Gables or Dade County is some sort of partner in this based on the desire to have concerts etc and a seating capacity that seems larger than what Miami would likely need in general,
BluesBear
With all the conference realignment talk, the economies of scale when it comes to building - 55k-65k is the right size. More opposing fans will be likely to attend a game here than the prior venue. it's a win win for the school and students...
GruntTuff
Was HKS the architectural firm that designed McLane? They are on this project.
Redbrickbear
Stefano DiMera said:

Far to big for the University of Miami.

Needs to be 45K

Also, being off campus is a huge mistake.

Baylor made that mistake at one time...and Tulane just corrected it by moving their stadium back to campus.
Stefano DiMera
I feel like they're the only firm out there .they did Jerry World, So Fi Stadium, the old Ballpark in Arlington.

I think they're involved with Foster Pavilion.
Stefano DiMera
I agree .but the entertainment and the bars and restaurants wouldn't work with an on campus site .

Their commute will reduce from about 25miles to 6 miles.
DanaDane
Margins on stadium construction are minimal, particularly compared to the amount of bonding required and headaches encountered. That's why you see very few GC's wanting any part of stadium construction.

And if Miami builds anything larger than 45K off campus or 50K if on campus, then they may as well order tarps like they've used for several years now unless they play Clemson, FSU or Notre Dame.
monsterbear61

Mosaic Stadium in Regina, SK (between Winnipeg and Calgary)

This stadium is very, very similar to McLane.

BTW, suppose college football dumps the NCAA. In that case, the bigger Canadian college teams could apply for membership at the D1 level instead of being stuck in DII.... A couple of those schools have fan bases much more extensive than TCU, Baylor, K-State etc... more like OK State. I was shocked to learn that one team from Vancouver played in the Lone Star Conference!

The Big 12 would find wide-open TV markets in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec, and CBS is already covering some of them.

PartyBear
Stefano DiMera said:

I agree .but the entertainment and the bars and restaurants wouldn't work with an on campus site .

Their commute will reduce from about 25miles to 6 miles.

It actually sounds like the concept for our new hoops arena with the bars restaurants and entertainment, except ours is still just beyond the campus border. Frankly for us that will all be close enough to our on campus football stadium that we have the best of both worlds on campus and bars restaurants and entertainment practically walking distance from it:
Method Man
The U has gone to crap ever since the Orange Bowl got torn down.

Pro Player Stadium is almost in Ft Lauderdale. That stadium is way too far from their campus.
ABC BEAR
This is the kind of school we should add to the XII.
Aliceinbubbleland
PartyBear said:

I was wondering that myself. I thought I would get jumped here for mentioning Miami is essentially very similar to a Baylor or TCU. I think I read the stadium will be even a little larger than you were stating. I think it will seat 65K I thought I read. That seems too large for U of Miami.
I don't like the bowl concept for stadiums with 50 yard line seats furtherest from field. We had that in old Baylor stadium. Much prefer the sraight sidelines of McLane.
Astros in Home Stretch Geaux Texans
PartyBear
I'm trying to figure out if it is enclosed but with a tranluscent top or does it have a giant canopy type ceiling that is translucent and either way is the middle open like the Irving Cowboy's Stadium or not.

I like the palm tree landscaping concept inside but it also seems problematic for some seats.
Stefano DiMera
One article I read said retractable roof.
Jorkel
Retractable roof sounds $$$. But if it's going to be a multipurpose stadium it will be useful. Im sure it's rains a lot and is hot and humid.
Jorkel
GruntTuff said:

Was HKS the architectural firm that designed McLane? They are on this project.

I don't think so? Populous did McLane, and like Minnesota's, UAB, Colorado State. Those come to mind.
atomicblast
Was there like a month ago, a roof is a must in Miami. Shame they cant build it next to their campus, it is unbelievably beautiful there. Just crazy expensive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.