Story Poster
Baylor Football

Gameday Thread: Baylor (3-2) Faces WVU (2-3) in Thursday Showdown

October 12, 2022

The Baylor Bears (3-2) are back on the road to face West Virginia (2-3) in a Thursday evening matchup in Morgantown. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. CT and will be aired live on FS1.

Depth Chart | Class Scholarship Breakdown | Schedule | Big 12 Standings | Roster

Quotes of the Week

Senior Offensive Lineman Jacob Gall

"I don't think we played bad and I don't think anybody would say that we played bad. I think it's just, the difference between a good team and a great team is probably five to 10 plays. And that was kind of the difference for us is that those five to 10 plays are really going to decide the game. And when you play a good team like that, you got to be on your stuff for those five to 10 plays that you know are going to be a hard down."

Senior JACK Bryson Jackson

"I think we had an opportunity to go out there and practice this past week and we established our speed and our intentionality as far as defensive play."

Head Coach Dave Aranda

"I think underneath all of the — whether its schemes or techniques — I think there's a level of immaturity or just youth that we're really working on growing. And then I think for some of our vets, there's some complacency that we're working on getting rid of and kind of waking up from.”

Analysis of the Week

SicEm365 Analyst Sam Bradshaw

I view Morgantown similarly to the Stillwater trend: most years BU is not clearly the better team and pair that with bad luck on the years where you should win and it becomes a narrative. In 2012 and 2020 you had pretty evenly matched teams but one side of the ball let BU down. In 2018 WVU was clearly the better team while 2016 saw BU come in and almost win despite a pretty significant injury to Seth Russell. 2014 was really the only year where BU was clearly the stronger overall team and the Bears got caught unprepared for WVU to break coverage tendency and for the officials to call pass interference anytime anyone looked at a wideout wrong. 

The other years where Baylor has been more clearly the better team? 2013, 2015, 2019, and 2021 which BU went 4-0 in Waco. BU almost stole the 2017 game where WVU was a stronger overall team as well.

Video Of The Week

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: Baylor (3-2) Faces WVU (2-3) in Thursday Showdown

46,405 Views | 722 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CorsicanaBear
Hob Howelll
How long do you want to ignore this user?
West Virginia deserved the win here. This is at best a 5-7 team. I'm actually not entirely sure where the other two wins are gonna come from. Kansas beat West Virginia on the road. Let that sink in.
Baylor University class of 2014
Johnny Bear
We deserved to lose this. What a POS performance. Bowl eligibility will be a miracle for this team.
cowboycwr
We fought hard but just gave them too many gifts. Can't win games when committing turnovers, especially for points and bad special teams play. And no D.

It is going to be a long season.

Not a good look coming off a bye week either.
Hob Howelll
The premium board hyped this team up as playoff caliber. If anyone wants me to whisper sweet nothings in their ear for $13 a month I take MasterCard and diners club
Jack Bauer
They went 63 yards in under a minute.
Mitch Blood Green
Legg: What a name for a kicker.
wgeralds
The Hound said:

The premium board hyped this team up as playoff caliber
lmao - i don't think there's a draft pick on this team.
IowaBear
Baylor Mary Hardin could go 60 yards in a minute vs this D
DrCrunkDaddy
For a defensive minded head coach, this defense is absolutely atrocious
Doc Holliday
Can't wait to replace the majority of the this team with better recruits. They just aren't good ball players.
CorsicanaBear
Second game in a row lost on defense and special teams.
Illigitimus non carborundum
BearTruth13
Well we won't have to worry about Aranda getting to many job offers this year
EatMoreSalmon

I hate Morgantown.
Hob Howelll
wgeralds said:

The Hound said:

The premium board hyped this team up as playoff caliber
lmao - i don't think there's a draft pick on this team.

Hey now. Some of these guys will make solid careers in the arena league
Olympia3
Honestly. We aren't a good team. Rb is an issue and defense is an issue.
SIC EM 94
CorsicanaBear said:

Shapen injury certainly didn't help
BUGWBBear
The curse kills us again.
Jack Bauer
At least we play OU...
Hob Howelll
So Aranda has had a terrible season, a great season, and now what is looking to be another pretty bad season. Looking at it somewhat in hindsight, that doesn't exactly scream "give this man a lifetime contract" like we did
sipembeers
This team has to grow up. I'm frustrated as hell, we have zero leadership. Someone… has to step up..

Don't want to hear **** about fans in the stands for the rest of the season.
BaylorGrad09
This team was ranked in the top 10 preseason
EvilTroyAndAbed
The Hound said:

So Aranda has had a terrible season, a great season, and now what is looking to be another pretty bad season. Looking at it somewhat in hindsight, that doesn't exactly scream "give this man a lifetime contract" like we did

Nobody ever did
sipembeers
The Hound said:

Just stop…
SIC EM 94
Drones has got to stretch the field…what the Hell????
BearTruth13
SIC EM 94 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Stop. Drones had a bad turnover like Shapen but he played well. The offense didn't have much of a drop off. The defense was atrocious.
boognish_bear
At least chunk it downfield and see if we can get a PI
sipembeers
BearTruth13 said:

SIC EM 94 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Stop. Drones had a bad turnover like Shapen but he played well. The offense didn't have much of a drop off. The defense was atrocious.

Three turnovers on offense. Can't blame just the defense. Special teams screwed the pouch too.
DanaDane
I knew the back 4 on D were gonna be young and the LBs were gonna be average. I really bought into the hype of thinking we had one of the best and deepest d lines in college football. And, it's just really, really average.
EatMoreSalmon
how far can he throw it
wgeralds
Doc Holliday said:

Can't wait to replace the majority of the this team with better recruits. These just aren't good ball players.
i agree these aren't good ball players..but they should be put in situations to succeed by their coaches...and they consistently aren't. the defensive formations for the offensive calls are poor - like 6 man boxes with 6 OL, 1 TE, and 2 RB's. the defense can't tackle - tries to blow up someone or arm tackle. the special teams is worthless. for 4 games this season we either ran the ball up the gut or threw the ball 40 yards. shapen makes 1 read. drones comes in today - makes 1 read. this is coaching.
PaperBear89
BearTruth13 said:

SIC EM 94 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Agree. If you can't win scoring 40 points then you're not a very good team
Dia-del-oso
We really need a new WR coach
DrCrunkDaddy
This team is **** this year
Jack Bauer
That's a fitting finish to the game.
Hob Howelll
Ha ha now all the mods on the free board are tweeting about how we are not even going to make a bowl. That sure was a 180 from all the articles about we're going to be a shoe in for the playoffs

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.