Story Poster
Photo by The Eagle
Baylor Football

An open letter to Dave South, a Baylor legend you never knew

August 10, 2017

Dear Dave —

Just like many voices of the radio, the casual Baylor fan would have never recognized you had they seen you without a name tag. They wouldn't have said hello or purchased your meal had they seen you at a restaurant in Waco.

That's not an insult. It's just the nature of the business you are in.

But little do they know they actually know you better than they ever realized. When someone mentions "the Texas A&M radio guy," we promise you that every single Baylor fan knows exactly who you are.

They heard your iconic voice most Saturdays during the fall while you were calling the most recent Texas A&M touchdown as they were preparing to watch their Bears take the field.

For several years they even had the opportunity — or were forced to because of no better option — to tune into your call of the Bears vs. Aggies while the game was in College Station. (That was prior to the television deal that split the two Universities apart, but that's another discussion for another day.) 

Truthfully, however, your personal voice was absent even then. It was only a voice coming across the radio. It meant little to anyone at Baylor, especially as the Aggies were tearing into their Bears for the better part of two decades. Well, it might have been a little bit annoying.

"The Texas A&M version of John Morris is a Baylor grad" even became a believable myth based on the fact that you spent time in Waco early in your career. No one really ever knew if it was true or not. Or even if you actually spent time in Waco.

But one Saturday that voice they had heard prior turned into the voice.

"They are going for two. They are trying to win it at home in overtime. Three wides to the left, two to the right, empty in the backfield. Bell waiting on the snap. Going for two. He's got it and he's looking. He's still looking. He's throwing and it is caught. It's good. Baylor wins."

You are a legend in Aggieland for everything you have done for that University.

But make sure to remember you are also a legend among Baylor fans. Even if they don't know your name.

Congrats on a fantastic career. We look forward to catching you on the airwaves by mistake at least 12 more times before your time is finished.

Sincerely,

The SicEm365 Team
Tags: Football
Discussion from...

An open letter to Dave South, the Baylor legend

6,948 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BellCountyBear
OsoCoreyell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Greatest call ever. The 20 seconds of silence after that touchdown where you can just hear the crowd going nuts was priceless.

Then the sideline ****** makes it even more delicious ("I've got to tell you guys, I didn't think I'd ever see this.").

But Dave South then injected a bit of class ("I'll hand it to 'em. They did not quit. And I'll say congratulations.")
80sBEAR
What a spectacular game and memory that was. My wife could not make the game and heard this on the radio. Excalibear and his young daughter joined me at the game. Not sure what the line was, but I think the Aggies were the #16 in the country.
Dia del DougO
aggy version of John Morris? Not quite. As shamelessly homer as South is, at least he has a great voice for announcing football and actually knows a little about the game. But one thing JM has over him is he doesn't complain about every single thing that goes against his team being some kind of t-sip conspiracy or something.
Johnny Bear
Surprised the "open letter" didn't mention more about Dave South's pre-aggy career as Frank Fallon's sidekick for Baylor broadcasts in the 70's. As aggy broadcaster he has been one annoying dude for a lot of years for anyone who isn't an aggy. And as far as that end of the '04 game goes, I much prefer hearing John Morris losing his mind and J.J. Joe squealing like a little girl over Dave South's call any day of the week.
McCavebear
South's pompous voice is the worst. It is not "iconic" to me. I do like the way his fake aggy macho gets punctured and deflated when the agtards lose -- which is not often enough for my tastes. They lose often enough for me to enjoy the dejection that bleeds into the microphone!
McCavebear Lives!
bearlyafarmer
Dia del DougO said:

aggy version of John Morris? Not quite. As shamelessly homer as South is, at least he has a great voice for announcing football and actually knows a little about the game. But one thing JM has over him is he doesn't complain about every single thing that goes against his team being some kind of t-sip conspiracy or something.
Spot on.
Life is more about asking the right questions than giving the right answers.
Blahbear91
Have to agree with Oso. That call is about the best one ever. I also love the "no kicker" moment where the Dates realize they could actually lose that game. That and unbelievable silence are just golden. Props to South for pulling them out of their stupor with a classy comment to replace the dead air.
Blahbear91
Daves not Dates. Darn autocorrect
Forest Bueller
That call still gives me chillbumps, the total silence in the booth and the fans going crazy in the background.

"They're going for two", with the tone he said that, he easily could have added "oh crap" right in front of it.

I think that's how they felt.
By the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved.
BellCountyBear
No love for aggy homer. No love for anything remotely aggy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.