Football
Sponsored by

Book alleges CAB interfered to keep TE off honor code suspension

4,382 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Robert Wilson
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.diehards.com/baylor/new-book-art-briles-kicked-tevin-elliott-off-team-2011?utm_campaign=SF_Baylor_Diehards&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Report: Art Briles blocked Tevin Elliott honor code suspension in 2011

Posted 33 mins ago

New book alleges that Art Briles kept Tevin Elliott on the despite a violation of the Baylor honor code.
Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images
A new book on the sexual assault scandal at Baylor University alleges several incidents where former head football coach Art Briles knowingly kept players on the team despite serious violations.

Violated, written by Paula Lavigne and Mark Schlabach, centers around the the university and athletic department's failures to adequately respond to sexual assault cases. Zach Barnett at FootballScoop.com read a copy in advance of the book's Tuesday publication date and detailed his findings.

The most serious case discussed in the book is that of Tevin Elliott. The defensive end violated the Baylor honor code by committing plagiarism and would have missed the 2011 season. However, Briles stepped in well after the appeal deadline to defend him and prevent the suspension, according to Schlabach and Lavigne.

Elliott violated the terms of his probation several times that semester. He received no punishment from Briles or the university.

Elliott was later convicted on two counts of sexual assault regarding an incident involving a Baylor student that occurred in 2012. A McLennan County jury sentenced him to the maximum 20 years in prison.

The lawsuit filed by Elliott's victim against the university was settled on Tuesday. The victim also asked that Briles and former athletic director Ian McCaw be removed as defendants from the suit. A ruling on that decision is still pending.

Lavigne and Schlabach's forthcoming book also details the rape allegations against Sam Ukwuachu and Shawn Oakman. Both transferred into Baylor with an alleged history of violence against women.

Other allegations in the book include the consistent inability of the Baylor Police Department to handle sexual assault cases and the persistent influence of Briles on university punishment of athletes.

Violated hits bookshelves on Tuesday.
Judge
They are focusing on things already known. Why doesn't someone focus on the BOR and the treatment of females by non-athletes?

Look, it is apparent Art Briles knew what he had to tolerate in order to win. By his own admission these were some "bad dudes" but he probably believed, like Trump, that both sides were to blame and he had games to win.

That cost him. Ian was a miserable failure for not saving Art and the program he inherited. There was so much that could have been done to avoid nuking the program.
80sBEAR
Spiritual Vanity. It is a dangerous thing. Starr, Briles, and McCaw are have left with their fortunes but Spiritual Vanity is still alive and well at Baylor. It is a strange combination of Groundhog Day, Jonathan Edwards, and the Twilight Zone.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Ghostrider
Wait, so football players get special treatment when it comes to plagiarism, attendance, tests, etc? Who would have ever guessed?
boognish_bear
ghostrider said:

Wait, so football players get special treatment went it comes to plagiarism, attendance, tests, etc? Who would have ever guessed?

Yeah...I was a little underwhelmed if this is supposed to be one of the bigger bombshells in the book.
boognish_bear
Review of the book. Based on this review it doesn't look like much investigating was done....it looks like they just pieced together all the various reports that have come out over the last year.

http://footballscoop.com/news/read-book-baylor-scandal-heres-learned/

We read the book on the Baylor scandal. Here's what we learned.

Zach BarnettAugust 16, 2017

The Baylor sexual assault scandal is simultaneously over and very much not over. It's over in that former president Ken Starr, former athletics director Ian McCaw and former head football coach Art Briles and his staff have all been swept out of town. But it's not over in that just last week a judge ordered Baylor to overturn documents related to the wide-ranging Pepper Hamilton investigation to the lawyer representing a group of women who say they were raped at the school. And on Tuesday, the wound of the scandal will be ripped open again with the release of Violated: Exposing Rape at Baylor University Amid College Football's Sexual Assault Crisis.

FootballScoop reviewed an advance copy of Violated (Center Street, 355 pages), and from the beginning it's clear this is a Baylor University book, not a Baylor football book. In fact, the cover is an image of Pat Nef Hall, not McLane Stadium, a Baylor football helmet or of Briles himself. Yes, Baylor football failed, but so, too, did Baylor's administration, and its judicial affairs office, and its Title IX office (or lack thereof), and Baylor's police department, and Waco's police department. Authors Paula Lavigne and Mark Schlabach who spent years reporting on Baylor for ESPN in advance of this book meticulously lay out exactly each of those levees failed before the entire campus was submerged by this flood.

A reading of Violated led to the following conclusions:

Cases handled by Waco PD involving Baylor athletes too often stayed with Waco PD, and were never shared with anyone at Baylor. Worse, Baylor PD was woefully unprepared to handle the seriousness and magnitude of cases they were tasked to investigate. "He had literally no idea what he was doing at all," McLennan County assistant DA Hilary LaBorde said of one detective's investigation. On campus, Baylor PD viewed itself more of an arm for enforcing parking violations than ensuring campus safety. Baylor was understaffed and untrained at treating and servicing sexual assault victims; for instance, when one victim sought to use the seven counseling sessions provided by her tuition, she was told the next open appointment wasn't until the following semester. Violated tells a number of stories that follow the same pattern: gregarious women who do well in school begin to withdraw inside themselves, classes start being missed, grades fall, scholarships are lost and victims are forced to leave school, all while Baylor administrators consistently miss warning signs and are unwilling or unable to reach out and keep these women in schools.

Furthermore, the sexual assault crisis exposed a blind spot between Baylor's image of campus life and reality. The system and culture in place at Baylor made it as difficult as possible for victims to A) report sexual assault and B) stay in school.

The regents were informed of an interview one regent said was "straight out of a script of victim blaming," between the former Baylor police chief Jim Doak and a woman reporting an assault. There were statements like, "Honey, don't you know that if you wouldn't have been out drinking, this wouldn't have happened to you? What are your parents going to say?" The regents heard about a woman who showed the attorneys a list of twenty-seven people she had to recount her assault to in order to switch majors to the business school so as to avoid encountering her alleged perpetrator.

While this is a book about Baylor that starts with Baylor football, rather than a Baylor football book, it does place a fair amount of dirt on the football program's hands.

And what struck me while reading it trust me, I'm less interested in writing another "rape bad" "Art Briles bad" piece as you are in reading one is how Briles could have stopped the rape scandal that ended his career and irrevocably harmed his entire staff's, many of whom were figurative or literal family to him.

Lavigne and Schlabach devote the first third of Violated to chronicling the crimes and prosecution of former linebacker Tevin Elliott. He was eventually convicted of two counts of sexual assault for a spring 2012 rape, but he should have been kicked off the team by at least fall 2011.

Briles had come to Tevin's defense before, when the player was caught plagiarizing, which was a violation of Baylor's academic honor code. It was his second violation, and after he failed to respond with an appeal, the provost's office suspended him for the fall 2011 semester, which meant he'd miss the football season. More than two months after the appeal deadline, Briles personally intervened on his behalf, emailing then-president Ken Starr and asking for a late appeal. Starr accepted Tevin's appeal later which appeared to have been written by an athletics department academic advisor and overturned the provost's decision to suspend him. Starr also allowed the athletics department, and not the standardly appointed judicial affairs department, to oversee Tevin's probation. Judicial affairs staff complained, and with good reason, because when Tevin failed to show up for class, was in danger of failing, and was caught cheating all violations of his probation athletics department officials did nothing.

So here you have a player is caught cheating in school, his head coach appeals to the school president to bend the rules for him, the president obliges, the player makes no attempt to follow his probation and absolutely nothing happens to him. Elliott played in 12 games that season, though, and finished second on the team in tackles for loss.

Elliott's case is at once a perfect encapsulation of how this was allowed to happen and an outlier. The spring 2012 rape for which he would eventually be sent to prison also got him kicked off the team, but he was accused of raping two women before that and cited for a Class C misdemeanor for assaulting another.

Let's move on to another case.

Tight end Tre'Von Armstead and linebacker Myke Chatman were accused of raping a woman in the spring of 2013. But prior to that Armstead had "a history of being on probation with Baylor University for prior misconduct." (Both players have since been arrested for the alleged assault. Chatman was later kicked off the team for drug offenses.)

While those cases percolated below the surface of the national consciousness, Sam Ukwuachu's case turned the heat on Baylor to a boil, largely because his impending rape trail went largely unreported and unnoticed until just weeks before, when Texas Monthly ran an expose on it. Ukwuachu hadn't found trouble on Baylor's campus before he raped a woman while waiting out his redshirt after transferring from Boise State. The question on Ukwuachu was whether he belonged at Baylor in the first place.

He was kicked off the team at Boise State for "being insubordinate and missing practices." Boise State officials knew Ukwuachu had a long history of violent behavior toward his girlfriend and mental instability, and it's clear Baylor made no effort to know Ukwuachu's history. How much Briles knew ahead of that is up for debate. Then-Boise State head coach Chris Petersen said he "thoroughly apprised Coach Briles of the circumstances surrounding Sam's disciplinary record and dismissal." How much Briles did or didn't know of Ukwuachu's history in Boise missed the larger point, as LaBorde pointed out. "No one ever thought that a freshman All-American was kicked off the team for being late to practice," she said. "It had to be pretty significant."

Finally, there was Shawn Oakman. Oakman was another transfer accused of raping a woman. Before that, though, he was dismissed from Penn State for allegedly attempting to steal a convenience store sandwich and grabbing a female store clerk's wrist in the process. Baylor found that episode sufficiently harmless enough to take Oakman, but only because the Bears never requested Oakman's full student file at Penn State. They instead relied on a recommendation from then-Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien who, in the email advocating for Oakman's second chance, wrote Oakman was, as Lavigne and Schlabach write, "one of five or six players who kept showing up on disciplinary lists, including police matters, which is why he had to dismiss him."

Baylor didn't see the full file because it didn't want to see the full file. Oakman and Ukwuachu, and Armstead, and Elliott could play, and everything else would take care of itself.

Further lawsuits have uncovered a pattern of Baylor officials working to help players skirt disciplinary processes, both internally and externally. There was one text that showed Briles hoping to keep an underage drinking arrest of a freshman defensive tackle away from Baylor's judicial affairs office. Or a 2013 case where Briles and an unnamed assistant huddle to keep a case of a player brandishing a gun at a female student away from judicial affairs. Or the time a player was facing suspension for multiple drug offenses when a staffer texted Briles that "if (Baylor's VP of student life) does not reinstate President (Starr) will."

Another text from Briles to an assistant, this time involving a player caught selling drugs: "I'm hoping it will take care of itself if not we can discuss the best way to move on it." Judicial affairs was never notified. Said an unnamed assistant of the player: "Him just hanging around Waco scares me."

The attitude ran to the top of the athletics department. When one player was arrested for assaulting and threatening to kill a male student, "a player who multiple sources told us had ties to area gangs," Lavigne and Schlabach wrote, McCaw texted, "That would be great if they kept it quiet!"

Just this week, current Baylor AD Mack Rhoades told a Waco radio station that the previous regime did not conduct drug tests. "When I got to Baylor, we did not test," Rhoades said. "We did not have any robust program. We implemented it. It was one of the 105 Pepper Hamilton recommendation. Now I can tell you this: that we would have implemented a policy whether or not that was a recommendation."

Is it any wonder, then, why regents, through the Pepper Hamilton investigation, heard multiple cases of players "running a train" on women?

How could such a culture persist unchallenged at Baylor? One regent explained to 60 Minutes Sports last fall.

Art, in one sense, had us where we've never been before. We were winning, and things were awesome. I think our main problem was: it's hard to mess up awesome. Nobody wanted to mess it up.

The signs that Baylor both inside the football program and throughout the university had a serious culture problem that would allow a sexual assault problem to fester where there. Anyone who looked hard enough could see them.

But no one in Waco wanted to look until it was too late.
hodedofome
ghostrider said:

Wait, so football players get special treatment went it comes to plagiarism, attendance, tests, etc? Who would have ever guessed?

My history professor at MCC gave the test answers ahead of time to the baseball players.

My business law professor at Texas State gave a different test to football players.

My dad almost failed a class at Baylor in the 1970s until the professor found out he was a baseball player. He got an A.

Why does this surprise anyone.
MilliVanilli
hodedofome said:

ghostrider said:

My history professor at MCC gave the test answers ahead of time to the baseball players.

My business law professor at Texas State gave a different test to football players.

My dad almost failed a class at Baylor in the 1970s until the professor found out he was a baseball player. He got an A.

Because there's a pretense that this shouldn't happen...but we all know better.
RickyButler
that book is like my toilet,full of crap
Richard James Butler, '64
RioRata
hodedofome said:

ghostrider said:

So how is ole Henry {Apperson} doing these days? Did he tell y'all about rooming with Bill Glass when they were at Baylor or how he used to be the paster of the Baptist church in West before teaching at MCC?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
RioRata said:

hodedofome said:

ghostrider said:

So how is ole Henry {Apperson} doing these days? Did he tell y'all about rooming with Bill Glass when they were at Baylor or how he used to be the paster of the Baptist church in West before teaching at MCC?
He was one of a kind.
marco
RickyButler said:

that book is like my toilet,full of crap
If by "crap" you mean things that no one wants to acknowledge or take ownership of then you are correct. If by "crap" you mean lies then I'm afraid you're sorely mistaken and may need to re-evaluate.
ABC BEAR
Onward.
ArlingtonFarm Fingercuffs
Improper benefits for Baylor FB players that happen at every other school:
Special treatment in the classroom, second/third/? chances for disciplinary issues

Improper benefits for Baylor FB players that don't happen at every other* school:
Turning a blind eye to accusations of physical violence.

* obviously we weren't the first or last to do this. But this is not a time I'd like to be in company with OU, FSU, Miami, or OU
Ghostrider
Vince Young can't even read and he graduated from UT.
RioRata
Brian Ethridge said:

RioRata said:

hodedofome said:

ghostrider said:

He was one of a kind.

Yes he was.
RioRata
I would like to hear xiled's opinion of this book thus far. It seems that Marco and X had a running feud over it on BFs.
Robert Wilson
That is all entirely redundant.

Whenever you have to lead with a disciplinary process involving plagiarism and try to hook it into the fact that the guy is a rapist you're doing some serious reaching.
3ptSpecialist
I'm pretty skeptical of anyone that has read the book and can give it a fair review since books were delivered to media this week. I skimmed the whole thing last night and this morning. I plan to give it a review and thorough reading this weekend.

I don't think it is a hit piece but I also don't think it is an accurate picture of what went on because it is mostly a one sided telling of events (as most books are). But in fairness, they do quote some players and coaches anonymously for some feeble attempts at balance.

At $27, 37 chapters and 330+ pages, I'm not sure this is going to get widespread appeal.
UniquelyUrsine
RioRata said:

hodedofome said:

ghostrider said:

As he sat around solving the worlds problems with an adult beverage while handing out the kissing cousin to the test and going for a walk down the hall.

Interesting guy.
Chanceux
Robert Wilson said:

That is all entirely redundant.

Whenever you have to lead with a disciplinary process involving plagiarism and try to hook it into the fact that the guy is a rapist you're doing some serious reaching.
True enough. This book is mostly an aggregate of previously disseminated facts.

The dispute lies not with the information at hand, rather how it is attached to the notion that each minor offense somehow contributed to a sexual assault. The writers might contend that something such as the football program's lack of random drug testing is a part of some larger story. I would refer to that as moving the proverbial goalposts due to the fact that any discussion around Baylor's errors in the handling of sexual assaults are convoluted and not easily deduced. I believe that's referred to as speculation.

There is blame aplenty to be divided, which Baylor has admitted. How much each misstep contributed to those failures is a knotted mess and the reason we have a judicial system. Just don't tell me that plagiarism is the first step toward a lengthy prison sentence.

I'll also note that the columnist at footballscoop who reviewed the book is a UT graduate. How convenient.
marco
Good Lord, you read that and saw plagiarism? You didn't see abuse by an official?
We're furked.

UT has a female basketball player who is out for the fall, my favorite rumor is that she may have copied a paper off of the internet. UT did the right thing when they found out.
Robert Wilson
marco said:

Good Lord, you read that and saw plagiarism? You didn't see abuse by an official?
We're furked.
"Abuse by an official"?

I see Briles and Starr trying to get a player out of a plagiarism charge, or at least get him leniency. That's not a good fact pattern. How unusual or outside normal process that is I couldn't tell you. That it is a primary narrative in a book about sexual assault means the authors don't have anything nearly as potent as they'd like to have.

The most troubling part of that rundown is the systemic, campus-wide failures to address sexual assault at all.

Then you have a coach who single-mindedly brings in the best football players he can (*some* of whom are YY chromosome toting thugs) into this Betty Baylor environment, and you just poured vinegar into the baking soda.

Now ponder which one of those two variables is more unusual. Which is a 3 sigma event? Some of our football players being "bad dudes," or the overall environment being incapable of handling bad acts (whether perpetrated by those dudes or by a debate coach or a fraternity president)?
marco
You have to have a rug to tie the room together.
Malbec
Baylor's failure to punish perpetrators resulted in an emboldened culture of sexual assault, but the death penalty is not a deterrent to murder.
Ghostrider
3ptSpecialist said:

I'm pretty skeptical of anyone that has read the book and can give it a fair review since books were delivered to media this week. I skimmed the whole thing last night and this morning. I plan to give it a review and thorough reading this weekend.

I don't think it is a hit piece but I also don't think it is an accurate picture of what went on because it is mostly a one sided telling of events (as most books are). But in fairness, they do quote some players and coaches anonymously for some feeble attempts at balance.

At $27, 37 chapters and 330+ pages, I'm not sure this is going to get widespread appeal.
How does one get quoted "anonymously?" This makes things so easy to makeup and just say you are protecting your sources.
GoochyMane
ghostrider said:

but how was he able to read defenses so well ?
snarebear55
That book is $27? How did anyone rationalize that?
Robert Wilson
ghostrider said:

Underrated post.
3ptSpecialist
ghostrider said:

3ptSpecialist said:

How does one get quoted "anonymously?" This makes things so easy to makeup and just say you are protecting your sources.

One football player said... one football coach said...
BU84BEAR
I just read the first few paragraphs of chapter 1, "The Party". It has some new info.

Apparently Miss Hernandez prefers the gender that Elliott is not.

I wouldn't consider that any of my business, except that she apparently was anxious to tell that to nationally best selling authors to put in the opening of their book..
Chanceux
BU84BEAR said:

I just read the first few paragraphs of chapter 1, "The Party". It has some new info.

Apparently Miss Hernandez prefers the gender that Elliott is not.

I wouldn't consider that any of my business, except that she apparently was anxious to tell that to nationally best selling authors to put in the opening of their book..
Lezbo from Cali decides to attend one of the most conservative, Christian schools in the country.

Story checks out.
RealLarryDon
I keep wondering whether all these media guys are more intent on blowing up Baylor for years to come or ensuring Art Briles never coaches again. I guess both?
JumboShrimper
I think it would get worse with the media if we started winning big again. I got my popcorn ready.
boognish_bear
BT predictably trying to drum up sales...

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.