Football
Sponsored by

B12 planning to schedule a bowl game in Mexico

4,031 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by cowboycwr
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Redbrickbear
Good idea
whitetrash
Send BYU to play in it. They will welcome the opportunity to witness and proselytize while there. And the rest of the conference fanbases can avoid getting shot in a cartel war.
cowboycwr
Horrible idea.

Bowl games that require too much travel already have poor attendance.

Add in the risk of getting kidnapped or shot in a cartel war... no thanks.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
cowboycwr said:

Horrible idea.

Bowl games that require too much travel already have poor attendance.

Add in the risk of getting kidnapped or shot in a cartel war... no thanks.
Live a little
Redbrickbear
whitetrash said:

Send BYU to play in it. They will welcome the opportunity to witness and proselytize while there. And the rest of the conference fanbases can avoid getting shot in a cartel war.
According to wiki Mexico has their 2nd most members by country at 1,507,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Membership_statistics_of_the_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints
boognish_bear
The NFL, NBA, MLB, and PGA have held events in Mexico for many years and I think the majority of players and fans have avoided being shot by drug cartels.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
boognish_bear said:

The NFL, NBA, MLB, and PGA have held events in Mexico for many years and I think the majority of players and fans have avoided being shot by drug cartels.
Are you sure? Pretty sure Tom Brady was just fake Tom Brady and why Giselle divorced him when she found out...
boykin_spaniel
No issue with this. Stay in a nice area and don't interact with the cartels or their sicarios and you can have a perfectly safe time in Mexico. They should put the game in Merida. Might need an expanded stadium but it is very safe and a balmy 87 degrees in December and January. Beautiful city.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
boykin_spaniel said:

No issue with this. Stay in a nice area and don't interact with the cartels or their sicarios and you can have a perfectly safe time in Mexico. They should put the game in Merida. Might need an expanded stadium but it is very safe and a balmy 87 degrees in December and January. Beautiful city.

Don't do gang ****, don't get caught in gang *****
Reverend
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

There are plenty of counter examples to the contrary. I'm not going to Mexico and would not recommend anyone else do so. There are parts of Waco, Houston, and Dallas I won't go to either.
boykin_spaniel
I view Mexico the same way. I'd rather be in Merida than a good chunk of San Francisco or parts of Memphis. Most countries are this way. Mexico might have more areas I'd rather not go than the US but it also has areas I'd pick over many US areas.

We need to grow the sport. If Mexico has folks interested in American football and basketball let's get some more fans.
whitetrash
Let's just hope they do a better job of drawing a crowd than the Bahamas Bowl.

Chamberman
Brian Ethridge said:

I think the appropriate phrase is: "Don't want none, don't start none!"

There are parts of Mexico that are fine. Punta Mita, north of Puerto Vallarta, is great. Since we've found it, we've quit going to Cabo, and prefer it over Hawaii.
Jack Bauer
Vamos, Osos!!!

BellCountyBear
Titus and Titus
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

" Country Summary: Violent crime such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery is widespread and common in Mexico. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico, as travel by U.S. government employees to certain areas is prohibited or restricted. In many states, local emergency services are limited outside the state capital or major cities."
Booboo Bear
Titus and Titus said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

" Country Summary: Violent crime such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery is widespread and common in Mexico. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico, as travel by U.S. government employees to certain areas is prohibited or restricted. In many states, local emergency services are limited outside the state capital or major cities."
To be fair, you could say the same thing for parts of Chicago, but I still love going to Chicago.

(Pizzeria Uno and Duo - mmmm...)
Titus and Titus
Please post the USA Government travel advisory for Chicago
whitetrash
I hope they are already in sponsorship negotiations with Chipotle for the Burrito Bowl.

Of course, if it's a Pac12 opponent, it will have to be the Vegetarian Burrito Bowl.
boykin_spaniel
Mexico has somewhat of an American football following. Not sure the Bahamas does. That game also features a mid tier MAC team against a mid tier C-USA team. The game is usually tight and fun to watch but I get the low fan turnout.
Jack Bauer
boykin_spaniel said:

Mexico has somewhat of an American football following. Not sure the Bahamas does. That game also features a mid tier MAC team against a mid tier C-USA team. The game is usually tight and fun to watch but I get the low fan turnout.

Many fans say you can just walk into the Bahamas Bowl, nobody is even taking tickets!
T-REX
Titus and Titus said:

no 1st world government is gonna commit political suicide by explicitly alienating an entire major metroplex. If you think there aren't areas of the US way more dangerous than where any big 12 event will be held in Mexico then you are living under a rock. You will be safer at these games than the neighborhood closest to McLane
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
BUGWBBear
Montezuma's Revenge Bowl. Action in the seats as well as the field.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BUGWBBear said:

Montezuma's Revenge Bowl. Action in the seats as well as the field.

Some fans will actually see their heads pop out.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Chamberman said:

Brian Ethridge said:

There are parts of Mexico that are fine. Punta Mita, north of Puerto Vallarta, is great. Since we've found it, we've quit going to Cabo, and prefer it over Hawaii.

"Excuse me sir, do you speak jive?"
whitetrash
Brian Ethridge said:

Chamberman said:

Brian Ethridge said:

"Excuse me sir, do you speak jive?"

montypython
Yormark is doing more in a year than our prior leader did during his entire tenure
EvilTroyAndAbed
Titus and Titus said:

Dude, just don't go. Everyone's happy.
Redbrickbear
T-REX said:

Titus and Titus said:

no 1st world government is gonna commit political suicide by explicitly alienating an entire major metroplex. If you think there aren't areas of the US way more dangerous than where any big 12 event will be held in Mexico then you are living under a rock. You will be safer at these games than the neighborhood closest to McLane
Confirmed...

[The twenty cities in the United States with the highest murder rates (murders per 100,000 people) are:
[ol]
  • St. Louis, MO (69.4)
  • Baltimore, MD (51.1)
  • New Orleans, LA (40.6)
  • Detroit, MI (39.7)]
  • [/ol]

While Mexico City has a murder rate much lower at 9.96 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants

https://mexicodailypost.com/2022/12/25/cdmx-is-safer-than-miami-denver-and-dallas/

historian
    Also, other US cities such as Washington & New York.
    ilikebu
    I thought maybe Winnipeg, Manitoba would provide an interesting venue. They have the CFL Blue Bombers who played on Friday.
    ABC BEAR
    The bowl mascot could be a dancing bottle of Kaopectate wearing a sombrero.
    boykin_spaniel
    Is it a dome? Been to Winnipeg in December? Lovely weather… if you like frozen beer
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.