Football
Sponsored by

UCONN right now...

3,625 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by montypython
Yogi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
blackie
Add SMU into that, as well.
montypython

UConn is arguably the best basketball program over the last 24 years

Arizona, while good, isn't any where near UConn's level.

If Arizona was a basketball add, I don't get it. UConn should have been the pick.
Yogi
blackie said:

Add SMU into that, as well.
SMU killed itself and the SWC long, long ago.

University of OU Regents v. NCAA also hurt badly.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
JP1037
montypython said:

If Arizona was a basketball add, I don't get it. UConn should have been the pick.

It's only slightly about basketball.
montypython
JP1037 said:

montypython said:

I thought all of this was about TV Market capitalization.

UConn has a much larger TV market than UA. So if its not TV Market (unless there is a separate way to quantify sports viewers) and only slightly about bball - what else could it be? It certainly isn't football prowess.

Daveisabovereproach
SMU and UConn are great candidates….for the new Pac 12!
Griz
montypython is the UConn AD
JP1037
montypython said:

JP1037 said:

montypython said:

UConn has a much larger TV market than UA. So if its not TV Market (unless there is a separate way to quantify sports viewers) and only slightly about bball - what else could it be? It certainly isn't football prowess.

If it were about market size Big 12 would already have SMU. They quantify sports viewers with ratings.

In the digital age it's more about the brand and running a successful sports program.

UConn deserves power 5. They are an amazing bb school but it's too far and isolated for the Big 12.
Baylor187
montypython said:

If you were trying to add subscriptions to a conference network, then yes. But that's not the big 12's model. It's more about adding as many national brands as possible. Brilliant move by Yormark to think outside the box and grab marquee programs in non-football sports. We definitely have the top billing in men's and woman's bb if uconn and Gonzaga join the conference. Does it bring in as many dollars as football? No. But it does bring in additional dollars.
montypython
JP1037 said:

montypython said:

JP1037 said:

montypython said:

In the digital age it's more about the brand and running a successful sports program.
Not so sure about that. Colorado is literally one of the worst P5 program out there, if not the worst.

I'm starting to think it was a lack of pairing to go with UConn. i.e. There wasn't another school in the region to bring over with them. Perhaps that and distance.
historian
No Quarterback said:

Don't you mean Pac 6!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Fre3dombear
Moment of silence for Gonsaga.
Dia del DougO
historian said:

No Quarterback said:

Don't you mean Pac 6!

The Six-Pac.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
historian
FLBear5630
montypython said:

JP1037 said:

montypython said:

Need to get into the Pacific Time Zone. UCONN takes a slot from the ACC when they implode next.
Baylor187
No Quarterback said:

No, the PAC ___ is dead as a conference. It's not really possible to save it. There is no media rights deal in place and its impossible to negotiate until you have your slate of schools. The buyout for the mountain west is $35 million per school. They have no money to cover the buy out and no way to promise higher pay outs. It's a sinking ship that nobody is going to want to board at this point, unfortunately
boognish_bear
BUGWBBear
Might be an easy football win for us.
BigGameBaylorBear
I have faith in Brett Yormark to do what's right, dude has been awesome for us so far
Assassin
JP1037 said:

montypython said:

JP1037 said:

montypython said:

If it were about market size Big 12 would already have SMU. They quantify sports viewers with ratings.

UConn deserves power 5. They are an amazing bb school but it's too far and isolated for the Big 12.
SMU does not draw viewers from Dallas. Been up here for the most part since 1976 and there is very little coverage of the Mustangs other than from the faithful.
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
ABC BEAR
BUGWBBear said:

Hmm.....does such a thing exist?
montypython
boognish_bear said:

That's an impressive necro post.
BUGWBBear
ABC BEAR said:

BUGWBBear said:

Hmm.....does such a thing exist?

Long Island says, uh huh.
johnnychimpo
montypython said:

Outside of Berkley and Stanford they have one of the best academic reputations in the PAC. UA is the west coast version of UNC or UVA but without the same level of funding/budget and all of those heinous campus "demonstrations". UA football has just been more relevant the last couple of decades than UVA football.
Mitch Henessey
johnnychimpo said:

montypython said:

Outside of Berkley and Stanford they have one of the best academic reputations in the PAC. UA is the west coast version of UNC or UVA but without the same level of funding/budget and all of those heinous campus "demonstrations". UA football has just been more relevant the last couple of decades than UVA football.
I grew up in Arizona. This is not a remotely true statement. Of the Pac 12 schools, here are the schools more highly regarded, academically:

Stanford
Cal
UCLA
USC
Washington

Utah is about on the same level as U of A. Arizona is absolutely nowhere near the level of UNC or UVA and was middle of the Pac(k). For reference, Arizona was my safety school, while UVA was my "reach"/dream school.

Arizona will be towards the top of the new Big 12 academically, however.
montypython
johnnychimpo said:

montypython said:

Outside of Berkley and Stanford they have one of the best academic reputations in the PAC.
TV revenue drives realignment, not academics.

Besides, UA is not even in the same ballpark as the top academic institutions in the PAC.
Texasjeremy
montypython said:

If they were to send football back to FCS (or kill it altogether), their odds would improve infinitely.
BUGWBBear
johnnychimpo said:

montypython said:

UA is also a few million in the hole with a debt no one can seem to explain. I don't think the other PAC schools had that problem.
Aberzombie1892
Arizona is a top 40 institution in the US in terms of federal research dollars, and that plus AAU membership carry its reputation. As with most public institutions, its admissions rate and ACT range leave much to be desired and it's clear from those variables that it's a step down from the tip top public institutions in the eyes of applicants.
montypython
Texasjeremy said:

montypython said:

If they were to send football back to FCS (or kill it altogether), their odds would improve infinitely.
Well shoot it won't embed. This made me think of a moment from the movie Major League.. "I didn't know they still had a team"

https://memes.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/c5c4615d-8122-401b-b3cd-11acbf190998/gif
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.