Coach Prime setting the standard in Colorado

15,257 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by boognish_bear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
JustWinBears
Lol idk about that. Maybe against other teams where one of your teammates is getting jumped or hit dirty, but that's not something I'd promote amongst teammates.

I get the sentiment though about being together, but how do you be together while fighting against your own teammates.
Hotsauce
How's this man going to preach toughness and grit to his team when he famously avoided physical contact whenever possible as a player?!

"Business decision..."
boognish_bear
I saw an article a couple of days ago where he was quoted as saying he doesn't worry about team culture. Not sure if that is going to work out in the long run.
JustWinBears
boognish_bear said:

I saw an article a couple of days ago where he was quoted as saying he doesn't worry about team culture. Not sure if that is going to work out in the long run.

Yeah it sounds like a recipe for disaster. I don't see his tenure lasting long tbh. The only thing he has going for him is his name, but the shtick of playing for prime time is gonna wear off and if he doesn't have a solid foundation he's gonna be gone sooner than later.

He will get more leeway than most coaches due to his name and he's also fortunate that he's taking over a complete bottom dweller so there is no where to go but up. But all these recruits coming in are gonna want to see results and coming into the Big 12 is gonna be a slap in the face where even Kansas will likely beat them the first few years.
BearlyBeloved
So Deion would approve this??

Fre3dombear
Has he had success elsewhere?
Alf
Fre3dombear said:

He was very successful at hbcu Jackson st 23-3 or something like that.
241Bear
I'd love for him to walk away with a W in Fort Worth next month, but I think the toads are going to give him a rude welcome to big boy football.
JustWinBears
Alf said:

Fre3dombear said:

He was very successful at hbcu Jackson st 23-3 or something like that.

He was able to syphon talent there and win with brute force against lesser competition. He won't really be able to do that in a power 5 conference. The talent he's pulling won't be any better than what any other school in the Big 12 will be getting or at least not enough to brute force his way to a winning record, he will have to out coach many competition going forward.

We will see though, but right now I don't see him as anything but a flash in the pan.
baylorfan1995
JSU under Deion was so poorly coached and developed. CU will win 3-4 games this year. and 4-5 next. Bust!
BluesBear
BearlyBeloved said:

**** TCU......
gobears20
Staff
FLBear5630
Hotsauce said:

How's this man going to preach toughness and grit to his team when he famously avoided physical contact whenever possible as a player?!

"Business decision..."
He did that at the end of his career and it kept him on the field. He hit hard when he was at FSU and came into the league in Atlanta.

The guys is the goat as his position by ESPN. His coaching may remain to be seen, but as a player there is beyond discussion both in College and NFL..

Voting results: Sanders earned 32 of 50 votes (64%)
Career: Atlanta (1989-1993); San Francisco (1994); Dallas (1995-1999); Washington (2000); Baltimore (2004-2005)
Hall of Fame: 2011
Pro Bowl selections: 8
Career stats: 188 games, 53 interceptions
Why he's the GOAT cornerback: Sanders' combination of bravado, talent and desire to win could be seen every time he played. He wasn't consistently challenged by opposing quarterbacks but still finished his career with 53 interceptions, including two in his final season at 38 years old. And that total was impacted by a three-year retirement (2001-2003). Sanders intercepted six passes in 1994 -- his only season with the 49ers -- and returned three of them for touchdowns. And it's worth pointing out that he played in 641 games for four teams in his Major League Baseball career and led the league in triples in 1992. -- Legwold
Stat to know: Sanders displayed his versatility on the gridiron by becoming one of two players in NFL history to score a touchdown six different ways: interception (9), punt return (6), kick return (3), reception (3), fumble recovery (1) and rushing (1). The other is 1966 Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee Bill Dudley. And no cornerback racked up more interception-return yards than Sanders, who collected 1,132 in his career.
What our voters said
It's easy to point to the awards -- six first-team All-Pro recognitions, eight Pro Bowls and a Defensive Player of the Year honor. But it's mostly about the eye test. Sanders dominated receivers unlike anyone else, and I haven't seen teams avoid a defender more than they did with Sanders in his prime. He allowed defensive coordinators to call a different game just because he was on the field. -- John Keim, Commanders reporter
Beyond the chatter and showboating, Sanders defined what it meant to be a shutdown cornerback. Although quarterbacks avoided him, he still had 53 interceptions. And he did it against some of the best receivers in NFL history. Jerry Rice himself said Sanders and Darrell Green gave him the hardest time. That's good enough for me. -- David Newton, Panthers reporter
In his prime, Sanders shut down half the field -- whenever he wasn't busy playing baseball instead. And his legend is based on all the passes that weren't thrown in his direction, not on gaudy interception or passes defensed totals. -- Aaron Schatz, Football Outsiders
A GOAT in any category has to have the skills and accolades to back it up. But did they also change the game? Did they have the swagger? Influence? Charisma? Are they a household name? Prime checks all of the boxes. He was the man. -- Eric Woodyard, Lions reporter
joseywales
gobears20 said:

When he played he was never near a fight,lol.
historian
BearlyBeloved said:

Unfortunately we had a similar incident in 2015 when the Cows came to Waco & then there was the incident in Ames…
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
FLBear5630
joseywales said:

gobears20 said:

People forget how good he was. He was a physical corner at FSU and good tackler. Most on here only remember the 30 something Deion. He Coaches like they coached in Florida in the 70's and 80's. The 1 fights, we all fight is not new.

Bowden and especially Mickey Andrews, his DC, taught brutal football. Mickey Andrews liked unnecessary roughness calls in the first half, especially against the QB. Bowdens teams got more disciplined as the game went on. By 4th quarter, no penalties.
ScottS
Maybe Lane Kiffin needs to meet Coach Prime.
FLBear5630
ScottS said:

Maybe Lane Kiffin needs to meet Coach Prime.
Is this as a rival or a compatriot?
Proud 1992 Alum
Deion is going to look like an idiot when a 2 player fight becomes a 10 player fight and he loses half his starters on offense or defense during a game for being kicked out.
BUMBA1
I definitely remember Deion throwing blows at Andre Rison. He may not dive head first at a full back for a tackle, but I don't think he's afraid to fight.

Colorado has been horrible the last 6 years. They've averaged 4 wins over that time frame. I think it's okay to give Deion some time. In less than 9 months he has brought in a massive amount of attention, merchandise and ticket sales, and has completely revamped their recruiting and roster from what it was. The sold out of season tickets in April.

We'll see over the next few years if Deion can really coach. But what he's done so far off the field has exceeded expectations.
historian
If the reports are correct, Deion is also probably the main reason Colorado will be in the Big 12 next year, along with 3 others.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
FLBear5630
historian said:

If the reports are correct, Deion is also probably the main reason Colorado will be in the Big 12 next year, along with 3 others.
Deion being Deion is already benefiting UC. Just like it did Jackson St.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

Art Briles said the same things in so many words. When boosters would ask him about the character traits he looked for in recruits, he'd always say he recruits talent.

You can win a lot of games doing that, but without program discipline and culture, things are rarely going to end well. We know better than most.
FLBear5630
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Art Briles said the same things in so many words. When boosters would ask him about the character traits he looked for in recruits, he'd always say he recruits talent.

You can win a lot of games doing that, but without program discipline and culture, things are rarely going to end well. We know better than most.
Not going to argue there. Briles had it all crashing down before he didn't need to take the risks to get to the top. Every program breaking through takes risks and some bite them. Briles took the wrong risks.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
montypython
boognish_bear said:

Front page of espn NCAAF this morning is Deion and in that article he makes it clear culture and chemistry aren't important to him. He does make it clear that guys need to be on the same page when they are on the field.

montypython
FLBear5630 said:

joseywales said:

gobears20 said:

People forget how good he was. He was a physical corner at FSU and good tackler.
I guess when he got into the NFL he changed his style, because he was neither physical nor a good tackler. In fact he wasn't even close to either of those things.
montypython
FLBear5630 said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Not going to argue there. Briles had it all crashing down before he didn't need to take the risks to get to the top. Every program breaking through takes risks and some bite them. Briles took the wrong risks.
I agree with the general sentiment.
I would expand on that and say Briles failed by not setting a behavioral standard and following through with consequence. We all know Baylor was not the only program in the country where a few dudes needed a short leash.

In fact, (it has been a while now I guess) there was a guy or reporter that put together total arrests for the "top" 25 programs in the US. I remember washington state was way up there (Leach). Of course, just about all of the SEC teams, at least the ones that were good. CFB is littered with dudes that go out and do stupid **** and I assume they made it to college based on their talent and people's willingness to look the other way at some of that stuff.

ScottS
Will there be a bench clearing brawl vs TCU that results in the whole team fighting??
Alf
montypython said:

FLBear5630 said:

joseywales said:

gobears20 said:

People forget how good he was. He was a physical corner at FSU and good tackler.
I guess when he got into the NFL he changed his style, because he was neither physical nor a good tackler. In fact he wasn't even close to either of those things.

Tbf, he did get physical with Tim McCarver.
FLBear5630
montypython said:

FLBear5630 said:

joseywales said:

gobears20 said:

I think people are putting his comments on not liking to tackle to not being able to tackle. If you look at his yearly stats, his tackles ranged from a low of 39 to a high of 66, right in line with every other great corner. Some had more like Lott, Barber and Green, no one is saying Deion was a Ronnie Lott. But even Lott had years in he 30's and 40's.

I think because the guy was vocal about pretty much everything, he got a bum rap on some stuff. He took less money to go to the Cowboys because they would let him cover half the field and not tackle. The Raiders offered more money, but he had to play in their D. Then when he got to Dallas people made fun of his not tackling.

I think it is a machismo thing in football, you can't say you don't like contact.
texillian
I wonder how many schools put their players social media tags on the back of their uniform for practice. That definitely seems unique.
boognish_bear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.