Football
Sponsored by

We brought in a coach that can recruit

6,241 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by JP1037
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
https://247sports.com/coach/khenon-hall-4556/
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
gobears20
Staff
https://sicem365.com/s/16470/breaking-baylor-set-to-hire-khenon-hall-as-its-next-rb-coach/2
gobears20
Staff
Smu has been pulling in some recruits

Mitch Blood Green
Gotta have a pipeline to the DFW north and south suburbs. If we don't build it, Tech will.
Bear8084
This is good.
ScottS
So will he flip some SMU commits?
boognish_bear
I am so accustomed to bad news on Fridays for Baylor....what great news this is!

SMU is basically a P5 in waiting now. That seems like a good sign we were able to pull him away for the same position here. Maybe it was money and adding the associate head coach label.
william
dale?

PA.

- UL

.... and, as always, TIA.

BID.

{ sipping coffee }

POE.
boognish_bear
ImABearToo
Now go get us some good "bad dudes" that can make this offense hum.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Daveisabovereproach
A coach with skins on the wall. That's good. They needed somebody to replace juice who was probably our best recruiter after McGuire
boognish_bear
So....is OL our last open position on staff?
RightRevBear
So it sounds like we are only replacing the OC, RB coach, and OL coach. That means we are keeping TE and WR coach.

Crazy enough I found that several schools run ads on Indeed for assistant coaches. That seems insane to me. It must be a policy at some universities.Ball State, Oregon State, and several others have listings.
ImABearToo
Does the style of offense he comes out of mirror what Spav will run? Assume smu did not run a grimes type of offense, rather something more of a spread with uptempo gears.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
boognish_bear
RightRevBear said:

So it sounds like we are only replacing the OC, RB coach, and OL coach. That means we are keeping TE and WR coach.

Crazy enough I found that several schools run ads on Indeed for assistant coaches. That seems insane to me. It must be a policy at some universities.Ball State, Oregon State, and several others have listings.
I think Grimes had been our TE coach in addition to OC. I believe they have now moved Bell from QB coach to TE coach.

I'm not sure what the situation is at WR.
dycbaylor02
Don't let Bell near any qb's
datboiquadzilla
Hopefully he'll flip some of those four stars he recruited
Brooks1969
Hope he is an ace recruiter… but SMU has some big time donors, and I'll bet buckets of cash were involved. Will BU pony up (pun intended)?????
blackie
datboiquadzilla said:

That would be good, but I conceptually have a problem with coaches doing that depending on how it comes to pass. If the recruit reaches out to them they have that option, but I don't really think it is good if the coach who recruited the kid for a school (and being paid by that school to recruit) takes it upon himself to try to flip the kid to the new school. Kind of like in the corporate world where someone leaves a company and then tries to recruit his fellow workers to the new company, especially when those workers were being treated well where they were. But, I guess perhaps that is the way it works in college recruiting. I don't know.
oorahpa
That is how it happens in real world football
datboiquadzilla
blackie said:

datboiquadzilla said:

That would be good, but I conceptually have a problem with coaches doing that depending on how it comes to pass. If the recruit reaches out to them they have that option, but I don't really think it is good if the coach who recruited the kid for a school (and being paid by that school to recruit) takes it upon himself to try to flip the kid to the new school. Kind of like in the corporate world where someone leaves a company and then tries to recruit his fellow workers to the new company, especially when those workers were being treated well where they were. But, I guess perhaps that is the way it works in college recruiting. I don't know.

It happens all the time though.
Dia del DougO
Are we going to be upset like we were with Tech if he snipes some SMU recruits our way?
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Daveisabovereproach
Dia del DougO said:

Are we going to be upset like we were with Tech if he snipes some SMU recruits our way?

Nope. I will be joyful. It's part of the fun of the sport. I guarantee you no one at Oregon felt remorse when they flipped Novosad at the last minute. The great relationship he had built up with the staff and all the promises of being treated well didn't mean jack.
We need to play big boy football and quit trying to hold ourselves to these made up "unspoken rules" that no one else cares about
Daveisabovereproach
oorahpa said:

That is how it happens in real world football

We play person over player football. It's a different sport
Stefano DiMera
Then you're conceptually against the possibility of some game changer coming...like say RG3?
PartyBear
I think flipping recruits who have not signed anywhere at this point is one thing. But using your unfair leverage to try to get current players at another school to transfer becomes something else.
LIB,MR BEARS
As far back as 2019 when Hall was at directional Illinois, he was finding diamonds in the DFW area. He got in on kids early and often and he networked with a lot of local talent evaluators.
Feel The Floyd
blackie said:

datboiquadzilla said:

Feels like the sales employee trying to take customers with them when they leave one company. I see noncompetes signed but hardly enforced in industries with high volume of sales producers coming and going. Like captive insurance agents going independent.
ImwithBU
Huge pick up. Need to establish that DFW pipeline. Now we have to be willing to take guys with a little edge. Doesn't mean they are bad kids but you need some guys with a fire in them
contrario
As far as flipping recruits, these coaches and players are always in contact with each other. If a player wants to play for a certain coach, and that coach leaves, there is nothing wrong with the player going with him. We are playing a new style of college football with no obligation commitments and free agency after every season. This isn't your grandpa's college football anymore.
Bear8084
Another point on top of his recruiting, how is his coaching? The run game was sorely lacking last season, and that's putting it nicely. I know the line needs work too, but can he put playmakers in position to make plays in the new scheme? Has he worked with a spread offense before? (I don't follow SMU much other than a game or two here and there on TV.)
blackie
Bear8084 said:

Another point on top of his recruiting, how is his coaching? The run game was sorely lacking last season, and that's putting it nicely. I know the line needs work too, but can he put playmakers in position to make plays in the new scheme? Has he worked with a spread offense before? (I don't follow SMU much other than a game or two here and there on TV.)
If we can't upgrade our OL or figure out a way to vastly improve what we have it won't matter who he recruits at RB. You could have a combination of Ricky Williams, Earl Campbell, and Duece Vaughn and you still would be hard pressed to have a running game with the line we had.
Krieg
blackie said:

Bear8084 said:

If we can't upgrade our OL or figure out a way to vastly improve what we have it won't matter who he recruits at RB. You could have a combination of Ricky Williams, Earl Campbell, and Duece Vaughn and you still would be hard pressed to have a running game with the line we had.

If they were allowed to block for a hole and run through it immediately we would've had more success, though. The OL would've still struggled, but the backs would've hit the line running full speed ahead at least.
Bigkahunaww
I still believe to this day that Jarrett Stidham was approached by Auburn coaches, and advised him to leave Baylor, sit out a year and enroll at Auburn.
So yes, I do think coaches poach players.
historian
boognish_bear said:

I am so accustomed to bad news on Fridays for Baylor....what great news this is!

SMU is basically a P5 in waiting now. That seems like a good sign we were able to pull him away for the same position here. Maybe it was money and adding the associate head coach label.

They will be P5 next year: joining ACC. The question is how long until that conference collapses?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.