Football
Sponsored by

We brought in a coach that can recruit

6,382 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by JP1037
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
blackie said:

datboiquadzilla said:

Hopefully he'll flip some of those four stars he recruited
That would be good, but I conceptually have a problem with coaches doing that depending on how it comes to pass. If the recruit reaches out to them they have that option, but I don't really think it is good if the coach who recruited the kid for a school (and being paid by that school to recruit) takes it upon himself to try to flip the kid to the new school. Kind of like in the corporate world where someone leaves a company and then tries to recruit his fellow workers to the new company, especially when those workers were being treated well where they were. But, I guess perhaps that is the way it works in college recruiting. I don't know.

IIRC, Mack said that Baylor coaches won't do that & that was a fireable offense.
historian
Bigkahunaww said:

I still believe to this day that Jarrett Stidham was approached by Auburn coaches, and advised him to leave Baylor, sit out a year and enroll at Auburn.
So yes, I do think coaches poach players.

I think it was more complicated. Don't forget, Art Briles & Gus Malzahn are friends.
ImABearToo
Tell us more. Inquiring minds want to know.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
historian
Their friendship is old news. While Art was still at Baylor they visited each other during the off season. I think their friendship probably helped Stidham when he transferred to Auburn. Anything else is speculation as far as I know.
jikespingleton
I don't think ACC collapses. They will shift and invite members if needed, kind of like the Big 12.

They have already invited Cal/Stanford and SMU. Did they invite a 4th team?

From what I remember, the ACC TV contract runs to 2036 or something. Those buyouts usually decrease the closer you get to the end of the TV deal. Any school wishing to leave (FSU for example) will compare the buyout cost to the revenue gained by switching conferences and then make a decision. They could leave as early as 2028, or something like 2032.
historian
I think it was just the three. Strange having an odd number. That count create some scheduling issues. I'm not sure it can last, though, because the numbers don't strengthen them in terms of football. And if Florida State & Clemson do bolt, they will be even worse. Maybe they'll be a basketball conference like the Big East.
boognish_bear
Sicem Khenon!

boognish_bear
bear2be2
historian said:

I think it was just the three. Strange having an odd number. That count create some scheduling issues. I'm not sure it can last, though, because the numbers don't strengthen them in terms of football. And if Florida State & Clemson do bolt, they will be even worse. Maybe they'll be a basketball conference like the Big East.
It makes more sense when you consider Notre Dame's scheduling agreement with the league and membership in other sports. Including Notre Dame, the ACC has 15 voting members currently.
boognish_bear
Wacoraisedbear
boognish_bear said:

Aranda seems highly respected by everybody except Baylor fans
historian
Good point
historian
Wacoraisedbear said:

boognish_bear said:

Correction: Baylor fans on these boards. I wouldn't be too surprised if quite a few still respect him or at least did not jump on the "fire everyone" bandwagon like some here did. A lot of people who follow these boards but post rarely or never. That might be the wisest course of action! LOL
LIB,MR BEARS
Bigkahunaww said:

I still believe to this day that Jarrett Stidham was approached by Auburn coaches, and advised him to leave Baylor, sit out a year and enroll at Auburn.
So yes, I do think coaches poach players.
but what of the gold bullion?
robby44
Mitch Blood Green said:

Gotta have a pipeline to the DFW north and south suburbs. If we don't build it, Tech will.

Absolutely
boognish_bear
JP1037
historian said:

Wacoraisedbear said:

boognish_bear said:

Correction: Baylor fans on these boards. I wouldn't be too surprised if quite a few still respect him or at least did not jump on the "fire everyone" bandwagon like some here did. A lot of people who follow these boards but post rarely or never. That might be the wisest course of action! LOL
You may be right, but I interact with two or three dozen Baylor fans and most of them are not posting or viewing this board. Every single one of them, except one, thinks Aranda should have been fired. Every one of them expects next year to be similar to this one with two or three thinking we might can get to six wins.
historian
I'm afraid that might be correct too.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
CorsicanaBear
I am sure there are plenty of people who respect CDA. He is, after all, a respectable person. Seemingly humble, philosophical, well read, thoughtful. He has demonstrated these traits consistently.

What he has not demonstrated is the consistent ability to win as P5 head football coach. In fact quite the opposite.

Given that he is being paid to win football games (merely being a respectable person does not pay nearly as well), it is not inconsistent to continue to respect CDA and insist he be sacked.
Illigitimus non carborundum
JP1037
CorsicanaBear said:

I am sure there are plenty of people who respect CDA. He is, after all, a respectable person. Seemingly humble, philosophical, well read, thoughtful. He has demonstrated these traits consistently.

What he has not demonstrated is the consistent ability to win as P5 head football coach. In fact quite the opposite.

Given that he is being paid to win football games (merely being a respectable person does not pay nearly as well), it is not inconsistent to continue to respect CDA and insist he be sacked.
Well said. My take exactly.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.