Football
Sponsored by

Baylor has record setting year with 56,000+ new student applications

8,982 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Edmond Bear
Aberzombie1892
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Reverend said:

Certainly there are admissions made before others, because some applications are made earlier, and meet the admissions criteria. So there is an acceptance deadline? As opposed to simply saying the class is full and you're too late to accept?
It varies by school. In the case of Baylor, there is a November 1st deadline for applicants who are applying either Early Decision (binding commitment to attend on the applicant if they are admitted) or Early Action (non-binding on the applicant if they are admitted) and then a separate February 1st deadline for regular admission.

Result timeline is based on application type:
Early Decision (binding) - Decision by December 15
Early Action (non-binding) - Decision by January 15
Regular - Decision by April 10

In the case of Baylor, the Early Decision process allows Baylor to understand what the core of its class will be by December 15 (i.e. binding Early Decision results) and then Baylor is able to forecast yield on Early Action and Regular admission applicants based on prior cycles.
ScrappyPaws
Reverend said:

Certainly there are admissions made before others, because some applications are made earlier, and meet the admissions criteria. So there is an acceptance deadline? As opposed to simply saying the class is full and you're too late to accept?
There are several deadlines that allow the university to establish a baseline number of enrollees and then they can be selectively lenient beyond the deadlines if/when they have space. The May 1 date is essentially your "acceptance deadline" but as I said, based on the numbers you can be selectively lenient based on available space from there on out.

November 1 - Early Admission Application Deadline
February 1 - Regular Admission Application Deadline
May 1 - $500 deposit due
May 15 - Housing Application, Health/Vaccination Forms Due

boognish_bear
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
ScrappyPaws said:

Reverend said:

There are several deadlines that allow the university to establish a baseline number of enrollees and then they can be selectively lenient beyond the deadlines if/when they have space. The May 1 date is essentially your "acceptance deadline" but as I said, based on the numbers you can be selectively lenient based on available space from there on out.

May 1 - $500 deposit due

Thanks. We got our final numbers yesterday, and BU was still close to $50K+ per year. Really was hoping it'd be better. Sadly we decided to go another route rather than swallow that big of a pill. Was hoping to carry on the legacy with my kids but I couldn't justify the $200K per kid.
Redbrickbear
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

ScrappyPaws said:

Reverend said:

May 1 - $500 deposit due

Thanks. We got our final numbers yesterday, and BU was still close to $50K+ per year. Really was hoping it'd be better. Sadly we decided to go another route rather than swallow that big of a pill. Was hoping to carry on the legacy with my kids but I couldn't justify the $200K per kid.

200k a kid for a UT of Aggy level education is criminal

My Dad is a multi-generational Baylor guy and when I told him I could NOT afford to send our kids to Baylor (without drowning them in debt) he said he understood completely.

For reference:

[Purdue UniversityMain Campus' ranking in the 2024 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #43.]

[Purdue University--Main Campus' tuition is $9,992 for in-state students. In December 2023, President Mung Chiang and the Purdue University Board of Trustees approved a 13th consecutive tuition freeze, meaning students at the West Lafayette campus will see no increase in tuition]

Aberzombie1892
Redbrickbear said:

ScrappyPaws said:

Reverend said:

May 1 - $500 deposit due

My Dad is a multi-generational Baylor guy and when I told him I could NOT afford to send our kids to Baylor (without drowning them in debt) he said he understood completely.

For reference:

[Purdue UniversityMain Campus' ranking in the 2024 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #43.]

[Purdue University--Main Campus' tuition is $9,992 for in-state students. In December 2023, President Mung Chiang and the Purdue University Board of Trustees approved a 13th consecutive tuition freeze, meaning students at the West Lafayette campus will see no increase in tuition]

It's unfair to compare private institutions to public ones, as that is a losing battle in many objective metrics (i.e. instate tuition and the resulting ROI advantages vs. private tuition). A better way would be to consider that attending private institutions for undergrad is generally a luxury, and that that luxury would meet a lot of qualitative metrics (i.e. legacy, emotions, etc.) but may not meet a of quantitative metrics (i.e. competitive cost of attendance with public undergrads).
Redbrickbear
Aberzombie1892 said:

Redbrickbear said:

ScrappyPaws said:

Reverend said:

May 1 - $500 deposit due

For reference:

It's unfair to compare private institutions to public ones, as that is a losing battle in many objective metrics (i.e. instate tuition and the resulting ROI advantages vs. private tuition). A better way would be to consider that attending private institutions for undergrad is generally a luxury, and that that luxury would meet a lot of qualitative metrics (i.e. legacy, emotions, etc.) but may not meet a of quantitative metrics (i.e. competitive cost of attendance with public undergrads).

Certainly true

I was just pointing out that Purdue is one heck of a deal.

$9,992 a year for in-State kids for a top 50 university
RightRevBear
Edmond Bear said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Edmond Bear said:

I don't understand how someone could come to a thread about the record number of applications and come to the conclusion that Baylor is struggling to sell itself to non-alumni.

The point of the legacy admission stat is that alumni are so pleased with their experience that they are sending their kids there.

There are plenty of data points that can clarify that struggle. For example, what is Baylor's undergraduate acceptance rate and how does it compare to the institutions that Baylor would like to compare itself to? To rephrase, high application numbers don't mean anything if the admitted students don't want want to come.

Circling back to the above question : A ~50% acceptance rate for a high profile private school is not good and shows some degree of difficulty in convincing all of those applicants to actually attend.

Welp, Aberzombie, I did the research and you are right.

The table below is for our watercooler "peers" in Texas and a few nationals that I was just interested in. All of the schools in the table use the Common App for application and have a free application. All of the data is from each school's Common Data Set which is reported to the government and covers 2022-2023 which is the latest year that every school in the list made available.

The Accept% column is Admit divided by Apply. The EnrollAdmit% column is Enroll divided by Admit.

Baylor's 18% in the EnrollAdmit% column means that Baylor has to accept a high number of students to get to the size and shape of class it desires.

Baylor's Common Data Set repository can be found here - https://ir.web.baylor.edu/institutional-reports/common-data-set

Interesting notes from this list:
  • Baylor admits as many students as UT Austin
  • TCU admitted 854 males, Baylor admitted 1,365 males which means Baylor is 60% more male than TCU.
  • Baylor has about as many people apply as Texas A&M and more than Texas Tech

I am still wondering how NYU enrolls more students than they admit.
historian
Probably some kind of scam to squeeze more money from taxpayers.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
ScrappyPaws

ScrappyPaws said:

Reverend said:

May 1 - $500 deposit due

I certainly don't begrudge you that. Had my Son not been offered the full ROTC scholarship we would have done the same.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
ScrappyPaws said:

ScrappyPaws said:

Reverend said:

May 1 - $500 deposit due

I certainly don't begrudge you that. Had my Son not been offered the full ROTC scholarship we would have done the same.

Yep, congrats on that. Really great for your kid and family.
I have to bet that Baylor's high price tag (combined with the aggressive cultural agendas elsewhere) has created some greater interest in the smaller Texas based Christian private universities. Thinking they'll all grow like crazy over the next decade.
Edmond Bear
RightRevBear said:

Edmond Bear said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Edmond Bear said:

Welp, Aberzombie, I did the research and you are right.

The table below is for our watercooler "peers" in Texas and a few nationals that I was just interested in. All of the schools in the table use the Common App for application and have a free application. All of the data is from each school's Common Data Set which is reported to the government and covers 2022-2023 which is the latest year that every school in the list made available.

The Accept% column is Admit divided by Apply. The EnrollAdmit% column is Enroll divided by Admit.

Baylor's 18% in the EnrollAdmit% column means that Baylor has to accept a high number of students to get to the size and shape of class it desires.

Baylor's Common Data Set repository can be found here - https://ir.web.baylor.edu/institutional-reports/common-data-set

Interesting notes from this list:
  • Baylor admits as many students as UT Austin
  • TCU admitted 854 males, Baylor admitted 1,365 males which means Baylor is 60% more male than TCU.
  • Baylor has about as many people apply as Texas A&M and more than Texas Tech

I am still wondering how NYU enrolls more students than they admit.

I probably forgot to carry the 1 or something. The admit number should be 12,539.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.