Football
Sponsored by

Looking like Aranda is coming back for 2025

4,096 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by trey3216
montypython
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Initially I was thinking Aranda needed 6 wins minimum to keep his job for 2025. Now I'm thinking that lowered to 5. BTW, that's not my bar.

With all of the staff additions and changes, I can't help but think he is coming back for 2025. I just don't see how Mack would approve all of the additions and changes without giving Aranda more time (2 more years) to implement everything and see what the results are.

My guess is now something like this

2024 Results:
0 wins - Fired
1 Win - Fired
2 Wins - Fired
3 Wins - Fired.
4 Wins - probably coming back for 2025. Will come back if a bunch of those losses are close.
5 Wins or more - Definitely coming back.

What do you think Mack's minimum # of wins are?
Daveisabovereproach
Methinks five wins will keep him his job and anything less gets him fired. the bar is definitely being set low
bexar country
He's 40-60 with 5 wins, anything less = gone.

5 wins sucks
PartyBear
It's the best off season since the height of the Briles era thus far.

It is obvious many of you have not experienced much of Baylor football's history but nothing that has occurred since the final game of last season has any markings of a lame duck situation. Good coaches don't jump on board to lame duck situations and good recruits don't sign up for that either. . In fact just the opposite. Which is actually a good thing for the program. I know some of y'all hate that but I agree to some degree with the OP's general premise.
GoodOleBaylorLine
I think Mack understands he is likely following Aranda out the door or at a minimum there will be some very tough questions about why he is the highest paid AD in the B12, so 2024, 2025, 2026, 2030 ... all good in his book with no win minimum.

Whether someone else grows some balls and fires both of them, we will see.
dycbaylor02
I agree with OP. I see Patterson taking over as interim if CDA gets axed mid season.
ScottS
<5 wins he stays

North of this means he could get fired as the plan is to make Sing the top event on campus
CorsicanaBear
Then he's gone. Barring straight up Divine intervention (which I never rule out), he's got no path to three wins. Will do well to beat Tarleton State.
Daveisabovereproach
PartyBear said:

are you serious???? What in the world does it even mean to "have a great off-season"??? it's one of those meaningless, indefinable positive Pollyanna things people say to create excitement when there is none. It's like saying you just ate the tastiest slice of pizza since God created land and water on the third day. Like I said, you and that Azerombie dude definitely work in the athletic department, probably in the marketing group.

Most people enjoy getting paid a lot of money, so I'm guessing that's the motivator. We've also had coaches leave on their own volition for better jobs, so it defeats the point you're trying to make
ScottS
No Quarterback said:

PartyBear said:

are you serious???? What in the world does it even mean to "have a great off-season"??? it's one of those meaningless, indefinable positive Pollyanna things people say to create excitement when there is none. Like I said, you and that Azerombie dude definitely work in the athletic department, probably in the marketing group.

Most people would stick their wiener in a blender if they could make the money that these coaches are making, so I'm guessing that's the motivator. We've also had coaches leave, so it defeats the point you're trying to make

Maybe along the lines of internal improvements??
Daveisabovereproach
ScottS said:

No Quarterback said:

PartyBear said:

are you serious???? What in the world does it even mean to "have a great off-season"??? it's one of those meaningless, indefinable positive Pollyanna things people say to create excitement when there is none. Like I said, you and that Azerombie dude definitely work in the athletic department, probably in the marketing group.

Most people would stick their wiener in a blender if they could make the money that these coaches are making, so I'm guessing that's the motivator. We've also had coaches leave, so it defeats the point you're trying to make

Baylor football has this weird historical culture surrounding it where some fans literally don't care if we win games as long as the image of the program looks good. We are probably the only P5 school that someone could say that about. I don't understand it
Fre3dombear
dycbaylor02 said:

I agree with OP. I see Patterson taking over as interim if CDA gets axed mid season.

Damn I forgot that ****** was coaching at baylor lol

Thanks for the reminder.
PartyBear
As I said some of you hate the talent we have brought in and the coaches we have hired. They threaten to take away the most important thing in your life. Running around here bragging on Sicem claiming you are/were right in the Fall.
cowboycwr
No Quarterback said:

PartyBear said:

are you serious???? What in the world does it even mean to "have a great off-season"??? it's one of those meaningless, indefinable positive Pollyanna things people say to create excitement when there is none. It's like saying you just ate the tastiest slice of pizza since God created land and water on the third day. Like I said, you and that Azerombie dude definitely work in the athletic department, probably in the marketing group.

Most people enjoy getting paid a lot of money, so I'm guessing that's the motivator. We've also had coaches leave on their own volition for better jobs, so it defeats the point you're trying to make
It is close behind giving your new coach a blank national championship trophy....

Or celebrating the highest ranked recruiting class in the history of the school or country....

And we know how those two worked out....
Bearsalwayswin
I cannot wait for us to rattle off 8 wins. I'm just so tired of the "I only see one win on the schedule, and that barely." Even if Dave is absolutely the worst coach of all time the staff around him is not.
JP1037
Hype does not equal improvement. A new staff, a new offense, a new quarterback, minimal improvement on the line. Put emotion aside and look logically at our team verses our competition and it's not a pretty picture.

5 wins is about the best I can see (and that is best case) and that sucks.

Baylor admin likes to win, everyone does. But they don't really care if we lose enough to fire a nice coach and spend a lot of money. Aranda is safe with minimal improvement - unless big money donors step in and they might. Not how I would run things but it is what it is.
Daveisabovereproach
No one hates the talent we brought in or the coaches we hired……. not one person has expressed hate over either of those things. Classic example of moving the goalposts
GoldenBear007
Bearsalwayswin said:

I cannot wait for us to rattle off 8 wins. I'm just so tired of the "I only see one win on the schedule, and that barely." Even if Dave is absolutely the worst coach of all time the staff around him is not.

A bowl game should be considered the floor next year. 8 wins is absolutely doable with all these coaching improvements and a more experienced roster
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
PartyBear said:

As I said some of you hate the talent we have brought in and the coaches we have hired. They threaten to take away the most important thing in your life. Running around here bragging on Sicem claiming you are/were right in the Fall.

Maybe some care about being right, and I definitely feel better about next season than I did at the end of the season. Doesn't change how I feel about CDA, still the worst coach we've had in a long time. I'm hoping he proves me wrong, but I don't think he will. Really just hoping these staff changes are good enough to compensate for CDAs low coaching IQ. If so, at least we'll know that someone can assemble a coaching staff, just not sure who was the primary on that.
Bearfan1998
It's not borderline if he's under5
Old Guy
I think that Aranda will be here for a long time, as long as there are not major incidences. Like Drew was hired because he's kept the program clean. Takes a long time for people to forget. Up to me, I'd bring Briles back and apologize.
Mitch Blood Green
Unless one of you whales come with a buyout, he's coming back.
jumpinjoe
No Quarterback said:

Baylor football has this weird historical culture surrounding it where some fans literally don't care if we win games as long as the image of the program looks good. We are probably the only P5 school that someone could say that about. I don't understand it

Reminds me of the John Bridger's days where administration expectations for him was to run a clean program and play .500 won/loss record. He might have finished out his coaching career at BU had he not dropped his record to below .500.

Maybe that's what's in store for Coach now.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
JP1037
GoldenBear007 said:

Bearsalwayswin said:

A bowl game should be considered the floor next year. 8 wins is absolutely doable with all these coaching improvements and a more experienced roster

I mean this question in a friendly tone. What evidence do we have of coaching improvements? Hall can apparently recruit but NIL might be the reason. What great proven difference making coach verses prior year coaches did we get? Are they good enough to overcome an inexperienced HC who has difficulty with game management decisions and play calling?
ImABearToo
Maybe I've drank too much of the koolaid but with the staff and players CDA has assembled, can't help but think we'll see improvement. And no I don't think Spav gets us back to the Briles offense and putting up 60 points and 600 yds. I just have to believe the changes overall should lift the program up to a .500 record at the worst.
PartyBear
ImABearToo said:

Maybe I've drank too much of the koolaid but with the staff and players CDA has assembled, can't help but think we'll see improvement. And no I don't think Spav gets us back to the Briles offense and putting up 60 points and 600 yds. I just have to believe the changes overall should lift the program up to a .500 record at the worst.

That is my feeling as well. Improvement and even substantial improvement is going to upset some here who insist like it is an ideology of their's that they are experiencing what folks my age experienced under Steele which is just absolutely contrary to facts. And they seem to want to just to be right on this board.
LIB,MR BEARS
ScottS said:

No Quarterback said:

PartyBear said:

I drove by the practice facility today and saw a big semi truck but no players pulling it. I don't really know what to think.
LIB,MR BEARS
500 and he will keep his job.

He will eventually put up Teaff-like numbers. The problem with that is Teaff had zero admin/financial support. Aranda has all the support he needs.
PartyBear
.500 is a Teaff like number. In fact we currently are at a 4 year microcosm of a Teaff like era to be honest. Teaff's years on average was a really good year every 4-5 years with mediocre and even bad in between those. We aren't settling for that type of era with what we commit in the modern era. No one in the modern era can afford to be ok with that type of situation for 20 years. We have to be decent to good next season and better than that the next season for Aranda to remain. It suspect that will occur and it is somewhat clear that a few here will be upset if it does occur.
ZachTay
Peeps, it's sadly not that complicated. Baylor Football will never get back to any semblance of "the good ol' days" level of success while Mack Rhoades is around. Don't let yourself be distracted by what comes and goes with other staff/people within the athletic department.

And pray daily that he doesn't run CSD off.
drahthaar
Of course he's coming back. Here's why.
1. Young guys growing up and new guys coming in to help. Recruiting is picking up, despite what some say/think. Needs to get "better" but we've had success with players we've brought in historically.
2. New staffing and schemes deserve time to get past the learning curve and the admin isn't going to move on from them any time soon.
3. Aranda is a great person who know the game.
4. Baylor has a tough time admitting mistakes.

Of course there are always caveats: Gross ineptness might trigger an admin response but these guys won't repeat 2023 IMO.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
drahthaar said:

Of course he's coming back. Here's why.
1. Young guys growing up and new guys coming in to help. Recruiting is picking up, despite what some say/think. Needs to get "better" but we've had success with players we've brought in historically.
2. New staffing and schemes deserve time to get past the learning curve and the admin isn't going to move on from them any time soon.
3. Aranda is a great person who know the game.
4. Baylor has a tough time admitting mistakes.

Of course there are always caveats: Gross ineptness might trigger an admin response but these guys won't repeat 2023 IMO.

2023 was gross ineptness across the program.

CDA may "know the game", whatever you seem to think that means, but he has low headcoach football IQ. He's the worst coach we've had in a long while.
Aberzombie1892
montypython said:

Initially I was thinking Aranda needed 6 wins minimum to keep his job for 2025. Now I'm thinking that lowered to 5. BTW, that's not my bar.

With all of the staff additions and changes, I can't help but think he is coming back for 2025. I just don't see how Mack would approve all of the additions and changes without giving Aranda more time (2 more years) to implement everything and see what the results are.

2024 Results:
0 wins - Fired
1 Win - Fired
2 Wins - Fired
3 Wins - Fired.
4 Wins - probably coming back for 2025. Will come back if a bunch of those losses are close.

It's not as simple as W/L record, as injuries, strength of opponents, etc. will all play a role in how the season unfolds. Without knowing the future, the expectation would be at least 6 regular season wins, however, fewer wins than that may not be a fireable offense if certain circumstances happen.
jikespingleton
Aberzombie1892 said:

montypython said:

2024 Results:
0 wins - Fired
1 Win - Fired
2 Wins - Fired
3 Wins - Fired.

It's not as simple as W/L record, as injuries, strength of opponents, etc. will all play a role in how the season unfolds.
He alludes to something other than simplicity of W/L records when he mentions margin of defeat.

Don't forget about hugs and thoughtful comments. The more of those given out by Aranda and staff, the longer he will stay.
jikespingleton
ImABearToo said:

With all of the new G5 conference members watering down the league (they were 8-28 in conference last year), in the future, anything at or below a .500 conference record should be a firing point.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.