Football
Sponsored by

Who will be QB1 this year?

1,621 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Big12Fan2024
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm assuming it'll be Finn. He was a highly sought after portal QB. Can't imagine him coming here and not getting it.

Is it even necessary to name one in the Spring though?

boognish_bear
bear2be2
I'm just glad Sawyer Robertson was good enough this spring to make it a competition. I really like what we saw from him in the West Virginia game. If he can be that guy all the time, we'll have two good quarterbacks this season.
boognish_bear
bear2be2 said:

I'm just glad Sawyer Robertson was good enough this spring to make it a competition. I really like what we saw from him in the West Virginia game. If he can be that guy all the time, we'll have two good quarterbacks this season.

Do you think we can hold on to both if we announce a QB1 early?
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Do you think we can hold on to both if we announce a QB1 early?
Who knows these days? But the fact that we held onto Sawyer despite taking a presumptive QB1 in Finn leads me believe he's committed to the program and its vision for him.

Assuming we have enough success to avoid a complete staff change (big assumption, I know), I have to think he'll be the starter in 2025 regardless of what happens this fall. For that reason, and Finn's advantage as a playmaker behind a patchwork O-line, I would bet he gets the starting job and we see both QBs at some point this season. But I wouldn't bet much on it at this point. The portal makes these things very difficult to predict.
LTBear19
This poses a rather interesting scenario.

Let's assume Finn takes the lead in the competition and earns the starting job.

Is it possible that (barring injury) you limit Robertson's action to 4 games in 2024, and preserve his final 2 seasons of eligibility? This would assume that he would be a 2-year starter moving forward (2025 and 2026).

I know he redshirted in 2021 at Mississippi State, but played in 5 games in 2022 (which would count for 1 season).

Would a 4-game minimum this year still allow him to play 2 full seasons (2025 and 2026)?

Can anyone confirm this?
Doc Holliday
Finn and it's not even close
Dia del DougO
Hopefully, it will be the best quarterback on the team. That's not a lock.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
boognish_bear
This would be a situation where NIL could help make it easier for QB2 to decide to stay
JustWinBears
Doc Holliday said:

Finn and it's not even close

I think Robertson if we had a solid OLine that can give him time, but with our OLine it's likely Finn hands down with his scramble ability.
Mitch Blood Green
What about ****** Jim? Isn't he competitive, too?
Killing Floor
You know good and well Finn didn't give up being a starter for a dominant team in a weak conference to be Robertson's backup. Aranda won't say anything because he had to be a professional but there is 0 chance Finn has to compete for reps.
Big12Fan2024
At the rate our QBs get injured every year you should put your money on QB3 being QB1 by game 4.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.