Football
Sponsored by

The most obscure team every Big 12 team has ever played...

1,979 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Stefano DiMera
Stefano DiMera
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I always knew KState scheduled light under Snyder....

https://instagr.am/p/C6DEoJ7radX
BigGameBaylorBear
It's funny bc a lot of these were played about 100 years ago and then you have UCF playing Moscow in the 90s lol! I wonder if that was a promotional event or something
Stefano DiMera
Yeah I had to Google that because UCF has not been around long.

They beat the Moscow Bears of the Russian Professional League in an exhibition 43-6 in 1992 at the Citrus Bowl.
Stefano DiMera
We went 2-1-1 in our first year of football with a 2 game sweep of Toby ..then a blowout loss to Texas A&M...then a scoreless tie with Add Ran.
Stefano DiMera
I guess the Pacific Fleet was bored in 1948 after the war and was looking at activities to keep them busy.
johnnychimpo
BigGameBaylorBear said:

It's funny bc a lot of these were played about 100 years ago and then you have UCF playing Moscow in the 90s lol! I wonder if that was a promotional event or something

…during the end of the Cold War
cowboycwr
I always find it interesting looking through the game programs or online histories of schools, awards, etc. and looking at those early years of football.

Schools played anyone and there was no method to it. they might play the same school/team twice in a season, have a random game in the spring or summer, and many of the teams were not universities at all. Or how many of the schools on those early schedules don't exist, don't play football at all or are now D2 or D3. The same is true for awards or national championships. You have players and teams that won that are now at schools that fit those categories just listed.

Edmond Bear
cowboycwr said:

I always find it interesting looking through the game programs or online histories of schools, awards, etc. and looking at those early years of football.

Schools played anyone and there was no method to it. they might play the same school/team twice in a season, have a random game in the spring or summer, and many of the teams were not universities at all. Or how many of the schools on those early schedules don't exist, don't play football at all or are now D2 or D3. The same is true for awards or national championships. You have players and teams that won that are now at schools that fit those categories just listed.

Those names are fascinating. Toby's was in Waco at Webster and 4th and some Baylor students attended.]

Had to be tough to make schedules until telephones were widely available in the early 1900's and groups of colleges started forming into conferences.

Found this note about Toby's advertising:

He (Toby) was discriminating in the selection of the student body (no women were admitted for the first several years), eschewing drinkers, smokers, "ill-mannered, badly groomed chaps or men of questionable morals."

"No student below the eighth grade is admitted to the shorthand department of this college," a 1902 catalog promoted. "Consequently, there is not a number of lazy, loafing ignoramuses idling their time away, taking the teacher's attention from desirable pupils."

Gotta assume the ones that could not make it in to Toby's were left to go to Add-Ran College.

johnnychimpo
Nobody must have found it strange to see names like Chaminade and John Brown on MBB schedule several years ago.
Killing Floor
I would not have made it through Toby's
Stefano DiMera
johnnychimpo said:

Nobody must have found it strange to see names like Chaminade and John Brown on MBB schedule several years ago.

Chaminade was a giant killer in basketball in the 80s and 90s...beat#1 Virginia and Ralph Sampson...#4 SMU and Dave Bliss..and Louisville in back to back years..
Fre3dombear
Stefano DiMera said:

Can't say "Fort Hood" no More

What a bunch of Ruhtards
Redbrickbear
BYU playing the Pacific Fleet and Cincinnati playing a guys boat club are both pretty funny
jsstewar
How did Tech fare against the Notre Dame junior varsity?

From Co-Pilot on the 1896 WVU game, "In the 1896 football match between West Virginia and the Mahoning Cycle Club, the Mahoning Cycle Club emerged victorious. The game ended with a score of Mahoning Cycle Club 26, West Virginia 0. This match was part of the season where the West Virginia Mountaineers football team compiled a record of 3 wins, 7 losses, and 2 ties1."
Stefano DiMera
Redbrickbear said:

BYU playing the Pacific Fleet and Cincinnati playing a guys boat club are both pretty funny

Man..they're all cracking me up..I just reread Colorado and Oklahoma State and giggled again.

I'm imagining a bunch of Tulsa Businessmen in suits and suspenders with corncob pipes like Teddy Roosevelt on the gridiron.
cowboycwr
One other note about many of the teams on that list, or teams from the late 1800s an early 1900s. Often those teams that were not a school were made up of guys that had just finished college and played athletics. For example the Pacific fleet was probably guys that were 22-28 that had played in college and their "duty assignment" was more or less to be on the football team and sometimes work as a quartermaster or other type of desk job.

Even universities at this time were known to have guys on the team that never even attended the school.
BearlyBeloved
Didn't Toby join a circus??

BearlyBeloved

jsstewar
In the 1902 football match between the University of Cincinnati and Stumps Boat Club, Stumps Boat Club emerged victorious with a score of 23-0. This game was part of the University of Cincinnati's football season where they played as an independent team
aledocrow
Something that has always seemed silly over the past several decades are the early season "warmup" games that Division I teams play. I know, it gives the small, no-name schools a bunch of shared revenue from a home game hosted by a big-time school. All it costs them is total beat down and the possibility of some serious injuries along the way. But hey, money is hard to turn away. It is hard to take those games seriously.

Remember Baylor vs. Long Island U? What about playing Wofford during the days of CAB? I find it embarrassing that we play those games. The fact that it is no different with Alabama or Ohio State makes all the more shameful.

I would much rather see Georgia and Michgan go head-to-head before conference games. Schools that make the playoffs need to earn their way in. Not play patsies.

Rant over
Married A Horn
How does this year's team do against that schedule?

6-10?

Those boat club teams seem pretty tough, but I know we could handle that high school team.
historian
Lots of schools play patsies each year. It doesn't bother me too much if we only have kind of them in September. In 2013, we arguably had 3 and that was one of our best years ever: first Big 12 title, first 11 win season, first blow out win over OU (dominating 41-12). Bama & Other SEC teams play one in November. In essence a freebie to pad the resume.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
cowboycwr
aledocrow said:

Something that has always seemed silly over the past several decades are the early season "warmup" games that Division I teams play. I know, it gives the small, no-name schools a bunch of shared revenue from a home game hosted by a big-time school. All it costs them is total beat down and the possibility of some serious injuries along the way. But hey, money is hard to turn away. It is hard to take those games seriously.

Remember Baylor vs. Long Island U? What about playing Wofford during the days of CAB? I find it embarrassing that we play those games. The fact that it is no different with Alabama or Ohio State makes all the more shameful.

I would much rather see Georgia and Michgan go head-to-head before conference games. Schools that make the playoffs need to earn their way in. Not play patsies.

Rant over
I would be curious to know if there are a higher percentage of injuries in those games than a tough game between two really good teams.

Don't forget it can also be a chance for the lower team to pull of a big upset while getting a big check.

Think about Liberty with us....

Or more famously App State over Michigan when they were ranked number 5 (If I remember correctly)
historian
And the Aggies vs App State
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
ABC BEAR
Cincy got "boat raced" and "stump broke" in the same game.
johnnychimpo
Are any of those 14 schools still around in present day? If so surely they've rebranded into something else.
Johnny Bear
Stefano DiMera said:

Now come on - we all know that was well before Snyder's time as KSU HC. I am wondering, however, if he possibly played in that 1898 game against Junction City High(??).
canoso
Fre3dombear said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Can't say "Fort Hood" no More

What a bunch of Ruhtards
Being a free people, Fort Hood can be said anytime, anywhere, and as long as we want to say it. Moreover, in Texas, it will be.
cowboycwr
johnnychimpo said:

Are any of those 14 schools still around in present day? If so surely they've rebranded into something else.
So I was bored and curious after your comment so I have looked it up

1. Army camp- no longer exists
2. Phoenix Indian School- was a HS but no longer exists (Run by Bureau of Indian Affairs) but B team...was that like the JV?
3. Toby's- no longer exists
6. couldn't find anything
7. could only find a current bikers club
9. couldn't find anything
10. no info
11. There is a JC high school in Kansas and I think this is the one they played
12. no info
13.no info
14.school still exists
15. no info
16. no info
Stefano DiMera
Here's the story on the Kansas City Medics

Actually this website called 'Lost Colleges ' probably has most of these

https://www.lostcolleges.com/university-medical-college-of-kansas-cit
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.