Football
Sponsored by

Remember When Regional Rivalries Were The Best?

1,328 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by osogreen
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
?ssl=1
Chamberman
Rice over Aggy 7 - 6

Johnny Bear
Hard to believe that for years Rice had the largest on campus stadium in the old SWC - and there was good reason they did.
Aliceinbubbleland
Chamberman said:

Rice over Aggy 7 - 6

Yes lol. aggy was #1 in the nation before the game. In the following game aggy was upset by a very average UT team which prompted aggy coach Bear Bryant's famous quote. "Longhorns hate the aggies more than the aggies hate the Longhorns" and with that he left for Alabama.
longtimebear
I am a conservative from my toes to my nose. But, the one thing I have wanted to happen, since this mess began, was for our government to step in and put some controls on these Public Schools in regard to conference jumping. Public University's shouldn't have that kind of power.
BigGameBaylorBear
Why did Rice have such a large stadium?
MrGolfguy
Because they used to sell it out regularly
Redbrickbear
BigGameBaylorBear said:

No NFL competition in Houston at the time
Johnny Bear
Redbrickbear said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

There was that plus UH at the time was little to no competition as well and aggy was basically a mid-sized all male military academy. Rice also had a legendary HC named Jess Neely, who ended up being there over 30 years and winning multiple SWC championships and Cotton Bowl championships, at the time the stadium was built.
curtpenn
Johnny Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

There was that plus UH at the time was little to no competition as well and aggy was basically a mid-sized all male military academy. Rice also had a legendary HC named Jess Neely who was there over 30 years and won multiple SWC championships and Cotton Bowl championships at the time the stadium was built.

Similar story in Dallas with SMU, Doak Walker, and the Cotton Bowl: "the house that Doak built". People tend to forget there were well attended sporting events before TV, the NBA, and NFL. Heck, rowing was drawing over 200,000 in Philadelphia 100 years ago.
Aliceinbubbleland
Hard to imagine how Arkansas has upgraded their facilities since we played there back in the 1960's. They struggled to fill the stands. Now look what has evolved from Broyles, Holtz and SEC membership. Plus the area around Fayetteville has grown significantly from 1956 lol.

You need to click twice on the photo in the upper left to get the latest expansion photo to open.
PartyBear
I recall reading that when it was built, the original Baylor Stadium later called FCS was the 3rd largest stadium in the state. Rice had the largest. Meaning at the time it was built it was larger than either Kyle Field or what is now known as DKR Memorial. I can't remember which of the two were larger.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

I recall reading that when it was built, the original Baylor Stadium later called FCS was the 3rd largest stadium in the state. Rice had the largest. Meaning at the time it was built it was larger than either Kyle Field or what is now known as DKR Memorial. I can't remember which of the two were larger.
Rice Stadium opened in 1950, same as Baylor Stadium. Rice Stadium held 70K, Baylor Stadium 48K.

Cotton Bowl (originally 68-70K) opened in 1948.

The original horseshoe of Memorial Stadium seated around around 60-65K when it was built in 1924. The westside upper deck added in 1970 brought capacity

Amon Carter held around 30-35K when it was first built in 1930. Upper deck added in the late 50s/early 60s brought it up to 46K.

The original horseshoe of Kyle Field was probably around 30-35K when built in 1927. Second decks added in 1967 brought it up to 48K. Third decks added in 1979-80 brought it up to 70K.

Harrison Bergeron
Thanks. I never looked it up but always thought Rice Stadium was built in the 1930s.
PartyBear
Well the article I read was roughly around 2000 I think. I'm guessing it was an article around the 50th anniversary of the stadium's opening. But I dont remember for sure that it was for in 2000 that I read it. I just know it was the 20 or so year ago range. I do now remember the Cotton Bowl was specifically mentioned as larger than brand new Baylor Stadium other than Rice I couldnt remember the other one that was bigger. Thanks for the reminder.
osogreen
BigGameBaylorBear said:

The City of Houston chipped in to build a large Rice Stadium in hopes of attracting a pro franchise and compete with the Cotton Bowl as a sports venue.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.