Andy Staples has Dave Aranda as one of top 3 hottest seats

4,227 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Killing Floor
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No doubt some will cheer this news:

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/05/31/on3-lists-dave-aranda-on-top-3-hottest-seats-in-2024/
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Bearsalwayswin
agreed. i understand people's frustration but many fans on these boards just begging for his failure is disturbing.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Well Baylor people aren't wanting him to fail first of all. They just think he's a terrible headcoach and don't expect him to succeed.
IowaBear
This, wanting Dave to fail is dumb because that ultimately means BU had another crap season. But make no mistake Dave's a bad HC until he proves otherwise. I have my doubts about this upcoming season. But I hope Dave proves me wrong because that means BU had a solid season
BigCheese83
Bearsalwayswin said:

agreed. i understand people's frustration but many fans on these boards just begging for his failure is disturbing.

I would even go so far as to argue that, for the long term health of the football program, it's a MUCH better option for him to succeed in winning 6-8 games this season rather than him getting fired. I don't think a '17-'19 or '20-'21 type of turn around is going to happen again if we bring in another coach, even intriguing options like Traylor or Kinne
Johnny Bear
As far as Aranda being on the hot seat, to me that's a "well, duh" type of thing when you consider three of his four seasons have been losing ones and the trend has been solidly going south ever since the 21 championship season. I hope he decisively turns it around starting this season (and sneaking into a minor bowl game at 6-6 isn't decisively turning it around in my view).
OsoCoreyell
He's taking the Patterson approach this season - Dave focuses on the D and lets someone else do the O.

We'll see.
parch
OsoCoreyell said:

He's taking the Patterson approach this season - Dave focuses on the D and lets someone else do the O.

We'll see.
A point of clarification here. Patterson always split defensive playcalling duties with Dick Bumpas until the latter retired in 2015. And we all know what happened to the TCU defense after 2015, so I'm not sure there's a ton of modern precedent out there for a HC being fully in control of the defensive playbook and it working out super well.

Further, I'm not sure we know if Aranda is handling 100% of the playcalling either, or if Powledge is sticking to the DBs (his positional specialty) and Aranda is taking the front 7.
EvilTroyAndAbed
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

Well Baylor people aren't wanting him to fail first of all.
Yes, they are. If they actually do succeed, many on here will make sure that it's because of someone else. People hate Aranda more than Steele around here.
elayer
I just don't want to hear "person over player" ever again. Now if they come up with " person AND player" I'd be down with that.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Yes, they are. If they actually do succeed, many on here will make sure that it's because of someone else. People hate Aranda more than Steele around here.

I'll clarify a few points for you - they think he's a bad coach with a top ceiling of mediocrity. They think the program will be better off long term with a different HC. They think winning 5 or 6 games next year doesn't mean much in terms of long term success and will only prolong our suffering.

Given all of the above they fully expect him to fail long term. But if CDA somehow turned this program into a conference champ contender next year they certainly would be glad. I'd suspect 99% would be glad if we are a convincingly improved program with meaningful wins in excess of 6. Whereas the frequently pronounced "let's keep him at 6 wins" really doesn't indicate much improvement in the new B12 and shouldn't be a basis for keeping him.

In short, they expect him to fail, would rather cut bait than linger, and will be happy with him turning the program around quickly.

What they don't want is an additional 2-5 years of mediocrity before getting rid of him.
PartyBear
Ther have been people belittling the off season developments which have all been very good. But spinning negatively our signees, transfers and new staff members. Yes there are people here invested in him failing just so they can crow on this site about being right. It is bizarre the people obviously with no memory or who are just ignorant who compare where we are now with the Steele era or Morriss' final year and seem to delight in erroneously thinking now is like then.
PacificBear
Shocking!!! Aranda is a hot commodity.
Yogi
About as big of a surprise as dry hot weather coming this July.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
Bearsalwayswin said:

I think one of the greatest problems with "intellectualism" these days is the manner in which personal prerogative interferes with reading comprehension. We read material under the veil of our own subjectivity rather than just discerning utilizing objectivity.

I want to clarify- even for those who are highly emotional or blinded by their own personal viewpoints:

No one here wants Dave Aranda to fail. No one. No one wants Baylor football to fail. No one.

I think you are misconstruing disappointment at the end of last season by some fans when Baylor decided to retain a coach with an overall losing record and a record of 3-13 since November 12, 2022.

Moreover, in the off-season we had our athletic director state that the Big XII needs to elevate its football programs in order to be maintain its place as a power conference in the current college athletic scene.

The jury is still out on Dave Aranda. He has made some great hires at various positions, but the fact of the matter is given what is at stake overall, Mack isn't going to allow Coach Aranda a long leash. In fact, without the 2021 Big XII championship and Sugar Bowl wins, Dave Aranda would probably already be off his seat altogether. So, he effectively earned himself an extra season in 2021. That also saved money that could be redirected into facilities and NIL to strengthen the program.

But no Baylor fan wants to see Dave Aranda fail. Mack Rhodes doesn't want to see Dave Aranda fail. And it follows that even if Mack were to fire Aranda at the end of the season, it would not be because he wanted Dave Aranda to fail; it would be because Dave Aranda failed.

I love you guys, but some of your writing styles are better suited for government propaganda than they are for having an honest discussion about college athletics.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
EvilTroyAndAbed
When Aranda "did" succeed (conference championship, Sugar Bowl win, best record in school history, highest season ending ranking in school history), many people on here said he didn't succeed. Rhule's players succeeded (as if any person could have coached the team that finished 2-7 the year before to their 2021 heights). He has never been given any credit for that season.

He shown to be a good coach, and he has shown to be a bad coach. My personal opinion is that he has not been able to establish any sort of identity for his teams, and that has shown in the fluctuating records. I don't know if he's going to be successful this year or in the future. But the one thing I'm not going to do is be disingenuous about trashing him for the past two seasons and then saying "I really want him to do well." No, y'all don't. You are saying it because you're confident the team will not do well this season, and then you can say, "Well, I really was rooting for him, but he sucks, and he's fired and good riddance and never come back."

If you're really rooting for him (you're is a general term, not specific to one poster), then I wouldn't visit this site and constantly see posts for two ****ing years saying "he should have been fired after the Air Force game."

Just be honest about your feelings. Don't say you're rooting for him and then come on here posting about wanting him gone during halftime of the Utah game.

At the very least, give him his ****ing flowers for the Big 12 Championship and the Sugar Bowl win.
blackie
PartyBear said:

There have been people belittling the off season developments which have all been very good. But spinning negatively our signees, transfers and new staff members. Yes there are people here invested in him failing just so they can crow on this site about being right. It is bizarre the people obviously with no memory or who are just ignorant who compare where we are now with the Steele era or Morriss' final year and seek to delight in erroneously thinking now is like then.
Many on previous ancestors of these message boards were saying the same type of things about Scott Drew AFTER he had gotten the program stabilized (which took many years). Yes he started in a much worse situation, but after he got it stabilized the team didn't seem to progress any further providing basis for people saying he performed a miracle but wasn't a good coach. Players continued to make the same mistakes. There seemed to be no discipline.

That opinion of being a good coach or not had nothing to do with the disaster which he walked into, so don't try to compare the two situations. They are not comparable. What is comparable is the knee-jerk reactions on these boards to project the future based on the past without taking into account things that change that cause perceptions and realities to change. Sometimes they change for the good, sometimes they change for the bad. But changes have been made. We have yet to see what effect they will have.

Will Aranda turn into a good coach? That obviously is left to be seen. But for all our sakes we better sure hope he does. Otherwise we start completely over again and any headway that has been made with the off season developments are not only tanked, but the aftermath could lead to a much greater public perception of where Baylor football resides. Plus we will probably have less money for a start over after all that has already been spent.

And I would agree on Party's statement about for some it is more about them being able to crow about being right. That is the most important aspect for them. Same thing happened with Drew. Those then had those "opinions" not because of the situation where Drew walked in, but because he had not shown much to say he was a good coach. In hindsight, he was learning. He showed he had enthusiasm, but had not shown the coaching attributes that some here wanted.....and most of it was based on the W-L record, just as it does here.

I am not saying Aranda is going to turn out good or bad. What I am saying is that when you change the game plan, it often can be a game changer. Only time will tell. Had those back then gotten what they had wanted, it is highly doubtful 2021 ever happened or we are where we are today in MBB. Not saying Aranda is the guy to get us there. Only saying that when you radically change things as has been done, the predicted outcome does not always come to fruition.
historian
The articles perspective is not just: hot seat duh. It's one of the hottest seats in the country. It might even be true.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
PartyBear said:

Ther have been people belittling the off season developments which have all been very good. But spinning negatively our signees, transfers and new staff members. Yes there are people here invested in him failing just so they can crow on this site about being right. It is bizarre the people obviously with no memory or who are just ignorant who compare where we are now with the Steele era or Morriss' final year and seem to delight in erroneously thinking now is like then.

Name them and let them respond. I'd bet every single person you name, if you can name any, would gladly eat crow if CDA does an amazing job next season.

Let me start since I may be on your list (probably a very short list if you have any names at all). I like CDA and wish he was a great coach, but I've been very clear since early on that he has low football coaching IQ and should be fired. If he does amazing, I will be super happy for him and BU. Until then, it's up to him to prove something to the school and fans.
Big12Fan2024
Way too much emotion being spent in this thread for someone that will be gone the first week in November.
CorsicanaBear
I don't hope for CDA to fail. He already did that in spades.
Illigitimus non carborundum
ZachTay

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

I'll clarify a few points for you - they think he's a bad coach with a top ceiling of mediocrity. They think the program will be better off long term with a different HC. They think winning 5 or 6 games next year doesn't mean much in terms of long term success and will only prolong our suffering.

Given all of the above they fully expect him to fail long term. But if CDA somehow turned this program into a conference champ contender next year they certainly would be glad. I'd suspect 99% would be glad if we are a convincingly improved program with meaningful wins in excess of 6. Whereas the frequently pronounced "let's keep him at 6 wins" really doesn't indicate much improvement in the new B12 and shouldn't be a basis for keeping him.

In short, they expect him to fail, would rather cut bait than linger, and will be happy with him turning the program around quickly.

What they don't want is an additional 2-5 years of mediocrity before getting rid of him.
"they think he's a bad coach with a top ceiling of mediocrity." TRUE

"They think the program will be better off long term with a different HC." TRUE

"They think winning 5 or 6 games next year doesn't mean much in terms of long term success and will only prolong our suffering." TRUE

"Given all of the above they fully expect him to fail long term." TRUE

"But if CDA somehow turned this program into a conference champ contender next year they certainly would be glad." FALSE -- only prolongs the suffering (see 3rd comment)

"I'd suspect 99% would be glad if we are a convincingly improved program with meaningful wins in excess of 6." FALSE -- only prolongs the suffering (see 3rd comment)

"Whereas the frequently pronounced "let's keep him at 6 wins" really doesn't indicate much improvement in the new B12 and shouldn't be a basis for keeping him." TRUE

"In short, they expect him to fail, would rather cut bait than linger, and will be happy with him turning the program around quickly." TRUE

"What they don't want is an additional 2-5 years of mediocrity before getting rid of him." FALSE - no one wants an additional 2-5 years of mediocrity before getting rid of him AND RHOADES !!
BigGameBaylorBear
elayer said:

I just don't want to hear "person over player" ever again. Now if they come up with " person AND player" I'd be down with that.

Haven't heard it in a while, I think Dave's new slogan is Ball, Battle, and Brotherhood or something
Daveisabovereproach
BigGameBaylorBear said:

elayer said:

Haven't heard it in a while, I think Dave's new slogan is Ball, Battle, and Brotherhood or something

That sounds really homo, but it's better than person over player
Robert Wilson
parch said:

OsoCoreyell said:

We'll see.
A point of clarification here. Patterson always split defensive playcalling duties with Dick Bumpas until the latter retired in 2015. And we all know what happened to the TCU defense after 2015, so I'm not sure there's a ton of modern precedent out there for a HC being fully in control of the defensive playbook and it working out super well.

Further, I'm not sure we know if Aranda is handling 100% of the playcalling either, or if Powledge is sticking to the DBs (his positional specialty) and Aranda is taking the front 7.
It's kinda funny. It's almost like we've re-arranged the staff and their duties consistent with the idea that what we have for a head coach is really instead a very good DC.

The HC should give the team a vision and an identity for everyone to follow. That needs to include complementary approaches on both sides of the ball and an overall approach to the game. The HC should attract, manage, lead the staff and the players. The fact that we are on our third OC in 5 years shows that Aranda has to this point failed to do that. Practically, we're also on a third DC, given that Aranda is the de facto DC. Are we basically putting him back in the position that fits him really well? And hoping that somehow the HC part just works itself out?
Grumpy
It is amazing how impressions are made and lost for college coaches: Just a few years ago after he won the Big 12 he was in the short list for hottest coaches in America.
parch
Robert Wilson said:

parch said:

OsoCoreyell said:

We'll see.

It's kinda funny. It's almost like we've re-arranged the staff and their duties consistent with the idea that what we have for a head coach is really instead a very good DC.

The HC should give the team a vision and an identity for everyone to follow. That needs to include complementary approaches on both sides of the ball and an overall approach to the game. The HC should attract, manage, lead the staff and the players. The fact that we are on our third OC in 5 years shows that Aranda has to this point failed to do that. Practically, we're also on a third DC, given that Aranda is the de facto DC. Are we basically putting him back in the position that fits him really well? And hoping that somehow the HC part just works itself out?
Given that we're now on our third wholesale different offensive philosophy in five years - balanced spread, pro-style, Air Raid-style spread - I think it's fair to say Aranda has no offensive identity of his own. Which is OK in theory for a defensive mind, Rhule was the same way. Briles was the same as well in inverse. Our offense hasn't been amazing, but I've actually never minded his direction on that side. I think Fedora was a bad idea, but jettisoning him early was the right call, Grimes was a good hire at the time, and firing Grimes was the right call at the time. And Spavital was (I think) the right hire. I think he's been stumbling upward year over year on that side, and our O has certainly been good enough statistically for winning seasons every year sans COVID.

I'm actually much more troubled by the defense under Aranda. We were terrible defensively last year, not offensively. No pressure or turnovers under a HC who bills himself as a front 7 guy who emphasizes both is abysmal. Powledge certainly seems like a garbage hire, and he's still retained co-DC duties from what I can tell.

We've dangerously regressed defensively, which is crazy puzzling to me. Losing Roberts should not have had that much impact given Aranda's 425 knowledge base and general defensive mind, but he just sort of collapsed last year.
Robert Wilson
I agree with the last half of that. Our D was abysmal last year and way worse than our O. Troubling that this happens under Aranda, after he fires a guy who was supposedly some kind of mentor to him, and then we regress that badly under a new DC.

I think our offense has been good enough but incredibly pedestrian, other than one year in which we had an absolute sledgehammer RB and an NFL WR who could just go get the ball. Grimes was a one trick pony, and once that trick played out he was toast. We made a bad call on Bohanon, IMO, no one on our staff could develop (or then, by extension, attract) a QB, and our failure to develop or attract functional OL or a new stud RB after Smith ran for 1500 yards is inexcusable.

Briles wasn't active on defense, but he and Bennett figured out what kind of defense complimented Briles' O. The D didn't have to (and couldn't) be statistically great b/c of the pace and # of plays and possessions, but they had to break serve every now and then by forcing turnovers or making a big play. In general, they learned to play complimentary football, and the team had an identity and a brand - fast, loose, fearless, physical, and make your mistakes in motion. The thing made sense, worked together, and we knew who we were. Aranda is the team leader, and he hasn't instilled that sort of identity and cohesiveness on either side of the ball, much less together.
parch
Robert Wilson said:

I agree with the last half of that. Our D was abysmal last year and way worse than our O. Troubling that this happens under Aranda, after he fires a guy who was supposedly some kind of mentor to him, and then we regress that badly under a new DC.

I think our offense has been good enough but incredibly pedestrian, other than one year in which we had an absolute sledgehammer RB and an NFL WR who could just go get the ball. Grimes was a one trick pony, and once that trick played out he was toast. We made a bad call on Bohanon, IMO, no one on our staff could develop (or then, by extension, attract) a QB, and our failure to develop or attract functional OL or a new stud RB after Smith ran for 1500 yards is inexcusable.

Briles wasn't active on defense, but he and Bennett figured out what kind of defense complimented Briles' O. The D didn't have to (and couldn't) be statistically great b/c of the pace and # of plays and possessions, but they had to break serve every now and then by forcing turnovers or making a big play. In general, they learned to play complimentary football, and the team had an identity and a brand - fast, loose, fearless, physical, and make your mistakes in motion. The thing made sense, worked together, and we knew who we were. Aranda is the team leader, and he hasn't instilled that sort of identity and cohesiveness on either side of the ball, much less together.
Oh our offense certainly hasn't been as good as it should be, even in 2021 (Bohanon wasn't exceptional in any way and never would have been, but he was effective), but it's been good enough to win 6+ games every year in the right contexts.

I would disagree on Bennett though, I think Briles had the same imbalance struggles Aranda has had and they never really figured it out. We were up and down all the time, I want to say we were something like 120th in total defense in our best year in 2014, years into Bennett's tenure. It took the most potent offense of all time to overcome that, and we still lost at least 2 games every year. That's unconscionable with that level of offensive production, honestly.

And when our offense inevitably didn't produce at massive levels in a few big games - 2014 vs WVU, 2015 vs Texas, 2013 vs OSU - the defense was incapable of filling the gap. Here's a crazy Briles stat for you. Baylor scored fewer than 30 points (30 points is a pretty freaking lot!) 31 times under Briles. We won two of those games. Two! 30 points! That's nuts! 2-29 in games in which we scored fewer than 30 points! I still can't believe that stat.

The closest thing to a defensive identity we had then was Shawn Oakman's facemask. We never really knew who we were defensively year to year except swaggy, which I guess has it's own merits.

That said, I would say we've always had a very discernible offensive identity under Aranda, even if it's changed three times and had its share of struggles. The insane thing is that we've not been able to consistently say the same about the defense, and our scheme and approach has not changed in 5 years.
Golden Helmet
Anyone who doesn't hates Baylor Football and is likely 6 eggs short of a dozen to boot.
parch
parch said:

Robert Wilson said:

And when our offense inevitably didn't produce at massive levels in a few big games - 2014 vs WVU, 2015 vs Texas, 2013 vs OSU - the defense was incapable of filling the gap. Here's a crazy Briles stat for you. Baylor scored fewer than 30 points (30 points is a pretty freaking lot!) 31 times under Briles. We won two of those games. Two! 30 points! That's nuts! 2-29 in games in which we scored fewer than 30 points! I still can't believe that stat.
And to further this stat, we were 63-9 when we scored 30+ (and almost half those losses were despite us scoring 40+). If that isn't imbalance to the point of insanity I don't know what is. If we didn't get to 30 you could pretty much guarantee a loss, which is no identity I'm aware of. Our defense last year sucked but for different reasons and at a different pace.
CaliBear00
It's one thing to have down seasons. You execute your best and whatever happens, happens. But in Aranda's case, it's a crisis of competence. The decisions we've seen on the field, shouldn't be happening in high school, let alone at the P4 level.
Reverend
You can make pretty much any argument you want to with selected stats, but I'd say scoring over 30 points in 72 out of 103 game's establishes a pretty strong identity. I haven't checked but I'd guess the percentage was even higher from 2013-2016.
parch
Reverend said:

You can make pretty much any argument you want to with selected stats, but I'd say scoring over 30 points in 72 out of 103 game's establishes a pretty strong identity. I haven't checked but I'd guess the percentage was even higher from 2013-2016.
Offensive identity, of course. We're talking about defense.
Robert Wilson
parch said:

parch said:

Robert Wilson said:

And to further this stat, we were 63-9 when we scored 30+ (and almost half those losses were despite us scoring 40+). If that isn't imbalance to the point of insanity I don't know what is. If we didn't get to 30 you could pretty much guarantee a loss, which is no identity I'm aware of. Our defense last year sucked but for different reasons and at a different pace.
I think you're oversimplifying that. Of course our D had bad game and season statistics - they were back on the field about every 30 seconds one way or another. If you weight their stats to possessions, they start to look a lot more reasonable. Any DC who really cared about his stats wouldn't work for Briles. He'd want to work for Rhule (who also did a good job of building a cohesive and complimentary team identity - he knew he "wasn't an offensive genius" but was a solid HFC because he saw the whole picture and ran a good ship). But, I digress, defenses that were put in bad positions a great deal of the time broke serve enough that we usually won ballgames. You're saying Aranda's O isn't that bad because it's good enough to win 6 while criticizing a system that won ... how many?

I also think there was a cohesive identity under Briles, including the D and Bennett. We were going to play fast, loose, and aggressive. We were going to take risks, be physical, crack some skulls and some eggs, and hope that was enough to overcome some mistakes made at full speed. It was a lot of fun and mostly worked.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.