CEO Phil Knight is supplying #Oregon with unlimited NIL resources

3,596 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by dave714
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Killing Floor
Little apple? Who are they kidding?
Let’s Go!
montypython
Killing Floor said:

Football and basketball and other sports attract students and applicants.
If the average kid is going to a school because that school has a good football or basketball team, then at worst they aren't mature enough to be at school in the first place and at best their priorities are not in order.
Killing Floor
Really? What made you choose Baylor? My own daughter (4.0 BU, PhD candidate now, one of 3 in her cohort, fully funded, somewhat mature, famous quote "neuroscience grad students are dumb and lazy") had 3 criteria when choosing schools; can't be an 'auto admit' (ruled out Texas), must have the major she wanted, and must have a good football program.
Had nothing to do with me or where I went or where I wanted her to go. Mom is a Horn.

If you seriously believe that college football isn't an academic recruiting tool, why then do YOU suppose Baylor concludes undergraduate prospect tours at McLane? Why do you think they take math and engineering and nursing prospects to see the Heisman?
Why do you think Baylor rolls up the gate and has the high school academic prospects run onto the turf? And why is their BU acceptance announcement the picture of that student on the McLane Jumbotron? Why do you think they call it "Line Camp? Why do premed and psychology and physics freshmen even need a BU Line jersey?
Maybe you're the exception.

I'd say weighing one of the most significant parts of the college experience in your decision is mature. You can take 100 level classes Anywhere.
Let’s Go!
Grumpy
I grew up in Oklahoma. If I wanted to make football my greatest priority for choosing a school, I would naturally have stayed in state. I chose Baylor because of the Christian environment, students and faculty who were oriented towards their faith, because of the programs it offered seemed to align with my own interests and ultimate calling, because it "felt" right compared to the other 6 schools I visited, and because the size was exactly what I wanted: not too big, not too small. Baylor was basically pretty good in football (Teaff years) and had been terrible in basketball when I enrolled. (Basketball got somewhat better briefly for a couple years while attending.) The fact that it had football - compared to a number of the schools to which I applied - was "icing on the cake" but not the real substantive reason for choosing the school. That was my story.
Aberzombie1892
Generally, the benefits of having good D1A football positively impacts applications and enrollment at public institutions more than private ones as many of their competitive schools also participate in D1A, however, most students that strongly consider Baylor are likely primarily considering competing schools that do not participate in D1A football.

For feedback here, The Chronicle of Higher Ed documents which institutions a school believes are its peers. Baylor selected SMU, BC, Notre Dame, Miami and Syracuse as peers, and, to no one's surprise whatsoever, none of those schools other than SMU selected Baylor as a peer. The schools that selected Baylor as a peer were SMU, Lehigh, Trinity, Tulsa, Dayton, Pepperdine, Marquette, Belmont, Incarnate Word, Samford, BYU, and Azusa Pacific. Data like this helps with frame of reference when discussing where Baylor is viewed by itself and by other institutions.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/the-chronicle-of-higher-education_who-does-your-college-think-its-peers-are-activity-7201988749340131329-fWRr?utm_source=combined_share_message&utm_medium=member_ios
montypython
I chose Baylor because Harvard and MIT didn't have good football teams.
dave714
86 years old...Wow he's been at it awhile. I say first 5 years in Big 10 No chance at Big title!!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.