As the recruits keep saying….

12,692 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Killing Floor
Bearsalwayswin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
who's next?!?!!!!!!!
BusyTarpDuster2017
Now that we're Paylor University, should keep coming.
boognish_bear
Tempus Edax Rerum
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?
parch
Tempus Edax Rerum said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?
Yeah what a weird thing to call us out on.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
parch said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?
The NIL has chased me back to the NFL. Screw college football.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
parch
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

parch said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?
I mean do what you need to do, but people calling out Baylor specifically for staying competitive in this market as opposed to just shutting up shop and becoming like Akron is wild.
boognish_bear
parch said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

parch said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?
I mean do what you need to do, but people calling out Baylor specifically for staying competitive in this market as opposed to just shutting up shop and becoming like Akron is wild.

Yep...I actually take that strange criticism as a badge of honor for little ol BU winning a showdown with some of the biggest programs
CaliBear00
I'm fine with being Bags U. At least it's legal now.
BusyTarpDuster2017
parch said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

parch said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?
It's not necessary to view it as mocking Baylor specifically rather than college sports as a whole and what it has made Baylor become.

What's wild to me is how so many don't seem to have any problem with college sports gaining the world but losing it's soul.
william
go bears!

- kkm
pro ecclesia, pro javelina
robby44
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

parch said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

parch said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?
It's not necessary to view it as mocking Baylor specifically rather than college sports as a whole and what it has made Baylor become.

What's wild to me is how so many don't seem to have any problem with college sports gaining the world but losing it's soul.

What soul?
OsoCoreyell
robby44 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

parch said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

parch said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?

What soul?
Ha! What little soul there was left.
Daveisabovereproach
Someone on another site was saying that a Baylor big money donor gave Aranda 10 million petty cash for NIL. I was curious if somebody else had heard that
BearlyBeloved
Daveisabovereproach said:

Someone on another site was saying that a Baylor big money donor gave Aranda 10 million petty cash for NIL. I was curious if somebody else had heard that
Petty cash? I didn't realize Bryce was this wealthy!!

Bryce Petty | NFL | Spotrac.com

Aliceinbubbleland

Someone on another site was...
There's your answer that it most likely wasn't said.
Astros in Home Stretch Geaux Texans
PartyBear

The person may be confused. Bob Simpson returned to Baylor BMDhood a few weeks ago with a 10 million dollar gift to Baylor athletics or perhaps the university in general. I dont know for sure. However I do not think it was designated toward NIL necessarily. I did hear some of it may have been but for baseball I believe oddly enough according to the rumor.
boognish_bear
I'm assuming Dave is already at the end of his rope after the last 2 seasons....but if he can't produce a .500 season when donors are stepping up with millions in NIL I imagine the pressure is ramped up even more.
BearlyBeloved
Although good recruiting for 2025 helps CDA, his survival nevertheless depends upon the W-L record in 2024, not on the potential for 2025.
PartyBear
boognish_bear said:

I'm assuming Dave is already at the end of his rope after the last 2 seasons....but if he can't produce a .500 season when donors are stepping up with millions in NIL I imagine the pressure is ramped up even more.
Had they been ramping it up for the last 2 years like at everywhere else. Aranda probably would not have been in the predicament he was in at the end of the season. Of course having conservative OCs also contributed.
bear2be2
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

parch said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

parch said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?

College football hasn't had a soul for decades. And it's the adults that sold it. It's funny that people only care now that the players are demanding -- and getting -- their fair cut of the action.
historian
I'm not happy about it but cannot do anything about it. Also, I understand the players perspective and see why they would want to be paid. They certainly have to work hard enough to be great. Lastly, it does level the playing field somewhat since all the top talent doesn't gravitate towards a handful of blue bloods the way it used to.
BellCountyBear
If you ever wondered what the Wild, Wild, West was like…we're living in it now. Minus the random murders…sort of.
historian
Plenty of random murders in Chicago & other Leftist cities
boognish_bear
Would be another massive get

BearlyBeloved
The last projections I'd seen showed Turner was very heavily probably headed to SMU. His game videos show that he's a super-elusive running back and very hard to bring down. It would be wonderful to have him play for the Bears.
BusyTarpDuster2017
bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

parch said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

parch said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?

College football hasn't had a soul for decades. And it's the adults that sold it. It's funny that people only care now that the players are demanding -- and getting -- their fair cut of the action.
The soul of college sports was always the spirit of amateurism. Athletes choose to play at a school for it's greatness, not a paycheck (at least ostensibly). It was purely a reflection of the university you attended, therefore all alumns with pride for school had a stake in their success. And the athletes busted their tail to deliver - for school, for their teammates, for college glory. And we alumns and students loved them for it and would remember them and talk about them for a lifetime.

Regardless of your opinion as to exactly when college sports "lost its soul", at least the spirit of amateurism had remained. At least until now. Now we don't know if it's about the green and gold, it might just be about the green. So it isn't funny at all that people are only mad about it now. Because now's the point where the amateur spirit has ended. I guess the idea of cheering on hired mercenaries who wear your colors because you write their checks just doesn't have that same spirit. Kinda like paying someone to marry you.
Yogi
Well, we've always said that we "fling our green and gold afar".

Coach Aranda just verified that.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
CaliBear00
Can Bags U make it a fout-peat? The insider here appears to report on LSU and SMU primarily. Coach Hall and our ability to give a player their bag continues to boost out recruiting.
bear2be2
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

parch said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

parch said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?

The soul of college sports was always the spirit of amateurism. Athletes choose to play at a school for it's greatness, not a paycheck (at least ostensibly). It was purely a reflection of the university you attended, therefore all alumns with pride for school had a stake in their success. And the athletes busted their tail to deliver - for school, for their teammates, for college glory. And we alumns and students loved them for it and would remember them and talk about them for a lifetime.

Regardless of your opinion as to exactly when college sports "lost its soul", at least the spirit of amateurism had remained. At least until now. Now we don't know if it's about the green and gold, it might just be about the green. So it isn't funny at all that people are only mad about it now. Because now's the point where the amateur spirit has ended. I guess the idea of cheering on hired mercenaries who wear your colors because you write their checks just doesn't have that same spirit. Kinda like paying someone to marry you.
The "spirit of amateurism" has been a farce for a long time. Since TV money became a driver, amateurism has been nothing but a way for these schools to keep the millions upon millions of dollars they were taking in without having to share it with their labor.

You can't look, act, talk and operate like a pro sport and then fall back on the "spirit of amateurism." It's bull*****
BusyTarpDuster2017
bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

parch said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

parch said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?

The "spirit of amateurism" has been a farce for a long time. Since TV money became a driver, amateurism has been nothing but a way for these schools to keep the millions upon millions of dollars they were taking in without having to share it with their labor.

You can't look, act, talk and operate like a pro sport and then fall back on the "spirit of amateurism." It's bull*****
The spirit of amateurism came from the players being amateurs, not from those trying to make pro money off their amateurism, whom you obviously resent for doing so. It was never a "farce" as long as that amateurism was there.
Vae Victis
I'm losing my interest in CFB too. Next year I plan to spend about 3 months of the Fall in Europe and I won't really miss CFB at all. I'll just watch whatever games on YouTube a day or two after the games.
historian
It's a matter of perspective. The main difference between an amateur and a pro literally is that the latter gets paid. But the reality is more complicated. College athletes ostensibly didn't play for a team to get paid but to become a better athlete with the dream of going pro. So money was always a part of it. And that's just the beginning.
thales
bear2be2 said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

parch said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

parch said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Who isn't?

anyone that spent thousands of dollars and years at a school is going to bemoan anything that appears to, or actually severs the unique experience that is college and athletics

in their current form, nil and the portal are doing just that
historian
It seems to be happening already. The important question: is this irreversible?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.