4-Star Momentum: Who's Next?

2,685 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by montypython
BearlyBeloved
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's exciting to see 4-stars committing to Baylor. Big thanks to Khenon Hall, CDA, the other recruiters, and those who are making NIL happen.

I don't want to act spoiled, but I must ask:

WHO is next??
BearlyBeloved
Will top OL recruits be motivated to commit knowing that high-quality running backs mean their blocks will produce success and won't be wasted?
dstaylor57
4 star ol are needed, but will they hang around 4 years to develop?
guadalupeoso
We have yet to secure a single high school qb target during Aranda's tenure. Malik Hornsby - Miss (can't blame him on this one, this was technically a Rhule recruit); Zach Pyron - Miss; Austin Novosad - Miss; Adam Schobel - Miss (so far -but at this point if he flipped back to us, I'm not sure I'd want a player that has flip-flopped that many times).

We really, really, really need a high school win at QB.
Mitch Blood Green
guadalupeoso said:

We have yet to secure a single high school qb target during Aranda's tenure. Malik Hornsby - Miss (can't blame him on this one, this was technically a Rhule recruit); Zach Pyron - Miss; Austin Novosad - Miss; Adam Schobel - Miss (so far -but at this point if he flipped back to us, I'm not sure I'd want a player that has flip-flopped that many times).

We NOW have a stud recruiter. We will get a stud QB.
BearlyBeloved
We need some monsters on our offensive line.

Yogi

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Aberzombie1892
guadalupeoso said:

Securing a high profile HS QB doesn't mean to programs what it meant a few short years ago, and there really isn't a clear downside to focusing on QB transfers over QB HS recruits.
Big12Fan2024
Agree. The college football world has changed. QBs are bought now and backups will change with regularity. There is rarely a QB who is ready to go from HS to starting successful major college QB. So today a really good QB comes in and most are willing to sit for 1 year. But in Spring practice if they get any vibes they aren't starting in the Fall, they're basically entering the portal. The only QBs you may be able to keep are 2nd and 3rd team QBs who realize they aren't that great and are willing to be backups for most of their careers. I suspect Aranda learned his lesson in the Bohanon/Shapen debacle so he was smart enough this time to not name a starter. Otherwise, Robertson probably wouldn't be here in the Fall.
bear2be2
Aberzombie1892 said:

guadalupeoso said:

Securing a high profile HS QB doesn't mean to programs what it meant a few short years ago, and there really isn't a clear downside to focusing on QB transfers over QB HS recruits.
Agreed. And we've got an intriguing prospect in this year's class in Edward Griffin, who had a 39-to-3 touchdown-to-interception ratio last year for Coppell.

I think it's important to take a high school QB in most classes, so you have some developmental players for depth. But the portal has made that position a year-to-year deal. You can go get an experienced new starter every season if you need to.
Daveisabovereproach
Yeah, the Griffin kid is going to get a lot of late offers from other P5 schools much like Novosad did and will end up being a bigger commit at the end of the day

Kind of reminds me of Braedyne Locke from Rockwall who I really wanted us to take in the 2022 class, and who ironically ended up at Mississippi State with Sawyer Robertson
Buforlife
By signing day most of the recruits will be going to bigger named programs with more money and better coaching and better 2024 win loss stats
Buforlife
CaliBear00
Griffin isn't going anywhere. We were literally his only P5 offer.

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/edward-griffin-313944?view=pv
Daveisabovereproach
CaliBear00 said:

We'll see. Nothing is over until they sign on the dotted line. I believe it was Novosad and/or Zeno that also had zero other P5 offers at the time they committed to us
guadalupeoso
Aberzombie1892 said:

guadalupeoso said:

Agree to disagree. The QB is still the most important position on your team. The QB impacts the game probably more than any other position on the field, offense or defense. While I think you are correct in that you can usually right any wrongs in your QB room if you use the portal wisely, I still think that securing solid QB talent out of the high school ranks is one of the ultimate signs of a healthy program, due to the importance and status of the position. It would be nice to have a mix of desirable high school talent at QB with some smart transfers. But, if you can't have both, I suppose you're right in that you can bolster those failures with the transfer portal - but you'll lack depth in any given year, which could be the case anyway with the way of the portal nowadays.
canoso
Daveisabovereproach said:

CaliBear00 said:

We'll see. Nothing is over until they sign on the dotted line. I believe it was Novosad and/or Zeno that also had zero other P5 offers at the time they committed to us

Who?
montypython
dstaylor57 said:

but will they hang around 4 years to develop?

The way I understand the current setup, it's open season on anyone's roster. So it could be a 4 or 5 star guy, or that 3 star hidden gem that turns out to be a 5 star player (Pitre) and if he lands on someone's radar, they can cut a check and he's gone.

If that is indeed how things are, it's a lose-lose situation for 90% of schools in the FBS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.