Texas Tech's McGuire says Pitre deserves statue at Baylor

2,368 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Johnny Bear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Bleed Green
can't disagree. He was All American, Big XII defensive player of the year, and leader of the most successful team in Baylor history. He stayed loyal to the university when others left. That deserves something more than picture in the locker room.
parch
Bleed Green said:

can't disagree. He was All American, Big XII defensive player of the year, and leader of the most successful team in Baylor history. He stayed loyal to the university when others left. That deserves something more than picture in the locker room.
He also made the most underrated play in Baylor history, which I have fancily titled The Play Before The McPlay. If you watch the 3rd down on that series, he made a late break on a wide open receiver in the back of the end zone without even looking at the receiver to break up Spencer Sanders' pass, which would've been a sure TD. He just sensed him back there, knew where he was and stepped back to force the incompletion. Just insane awareness levels.
Fre3dombear
parch said:

Bleed Green said:

He also made the most underrated play in Baylor history, which I have fancily titled The Play Before The McPlay. If you watch the 3rd down on that series, he made a late break on a wide open receiver in the back of the end zone without even looking at the receiver to break up Spencer Sanders' pass, which would've been a sure TD. He just sensed him back there, knew where he was and stepped back to force the incompletion. Just insane awareness levels.

Interesting. Forgot about that

That's like the guy that finished 2nd to Jessie Owens in 1936
Killing Floor
If he can stay healthy he may eventually get one at NRG.
Let’s Go!
Fre3dombear
That has to be one of the greatest 1st and < 18 inches goal line stands of all time
jsstewar
He stood with Baylor as a recruit when no other did. Also add a statue for Mike Singleterry.
Daveisabovereproach
Killing Floor said:

If he can stay healthy he may eventually get one at NRG.

He struggled a bit last year, but Demeco Ryans is apparently is going to try to play him closer to the line of scrimmage this season like he was in his rookie season which should be a more natural fit for him
boykin_spaniel
Put Bernard next to him and have a mural of key plays behind them like the McPlay, a thundering Smith, streaking Thornton and Ebner, etc
Stefano DiMera
That was Jackie Robinson's brother Mack.
Johnny Bear
Fre3dombear said:

That has to be one of the greatest 1st and < 18 inches goal line stands of all time

Agree. Can't think of a better or more impactful one I've ever witnessed through more than 60 years of watching football - especially given OSU had 4 cracks at it from half a yard or closer.
Johnny Bear
jsstewar said:

He stood with Baylor as a recruit when no other did. Also add a statue for Mike Singleterry.

I've felt for decades that arguably our greatest defensive player of all time - Mike Singletary - deserves a statue. I don't understand why BU is so resistant to putting up statues of former great players. RG III is our only Heisman winner, but he isn't our only great former player.
boykin_spaniel
Maybe afraid of too many statues? I'd say any hall of famer who takes the program to new heights is deserving. Singletary fits the bill and Pitre and Bernard hopefully will
Johnny Bear
boykin_spaniel said:

Maybe afraid of too many statues? I'd say any hall of famer who takes the program to new heights is deserving. Singletary fits the bill and Pitre and Bernard hopefully will

We don't need to be goofy about statues like the aggys (who even have statues of yell leaders and their fans) but there should be a happy medium that would commemorate other deserving great former players in addition to RGIII.
BellCountyBear
Mack whiffed on not offering Joey the HC job. Watch us get our ass whipped by Tek again this year.
Robert Wilson
Probably
jikespingleton
Johnny Bear said:

We don't need to be goofy about statues like the aggys (who even have statues of yell leaders and their fans) but there should be a happy medium that would commemorate other deserving great former players in addition to RGIII.
Agreed.
Bleed Green
BellCountyBear said:

Mack whiffed on not offering Joey the HC job. Watch us get our ass whipped by Tek again this year.
Maybe... He better make a big splash this year or this mantra is going to start looking stupid. I coached up here in the metroplex and think highly of Joey. I didn't ever coach for him but know a lot of guys who did. He is a great guy! That said, he has done nothing special at the collegiate level so far.
Stefano DiMera
Defeated UT and OU in same season for first time in school history.

First winning season in conference since 2009.

For Tech .. that's kinda special at the least.
historian
parch said:

Bleed Green said:

That was a great play, the third of four great plays but the fourth was the best. The play starts at about the 0:30 mark:

historian
Johnny Bear said:

Fre3dombear said:

Agree. Can't think of a better or more impactful one I've ever witnessed through more than 60 years of watching football - especially given OSU had 4 cracks at it from half a yard or closer.

IIRC, OSU had more than that because of a penalty. It was more like 7 or 8 although some were a yard or two out.
Robert Wilson
historian said:

Johnny Bear said:

Fre3dombear said:

IIRC, OSU had more than that because of a penalty. It was more like 7 or 8 although some were a yard or two out.

7 plays inside the 2, I believe
historian
Without rewatching it all, that seems about right. Of course, now you are inspiring me to want to watch the entire game again!
Johnny Bear
historian said:

Johnny Bear said:

Fre3dombear said:

That's right - makes that goal line stand even more amazing. Thanks for the correction. I recall aging at least 10 years over the course of those plays but thoroughly enjoyed the euphoria at the end.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.