Tech desperate to win in anything

2,559 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by JP1037
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
This can't be real
chriscbear
Takes big money to get kids to come to Lubbock. Feed lots and sand storms.
IowaBear
Getting her alone likely puts them in the drivers seat in the B12. Just goes to show that $$ trumps all. She transferred from a team who had made back to back WS appearances to friggin Tech
muddybrazos
Why would you use $1mill of NIL money on softball? I would be upset if Baylor was doing that. The bulk of the NIL $$ should go to revenue generating sports. (Football and mens hoops)
Jack Bauer
YGBFKM
Killing Floor
A- she is amazing. Incredible athlete.
B- good for her.
C- she can't pitch every game so Teck winning every 3rd game doesn't win them the conference.
D- it's Lubbbockk so takes more than 1 incredible pitcher to draw a roster as good as Stanford has. Maybe start a satellite TTU campus in Palo Alto.
E- Seriously, good for her. That's life changing.
Let’s Go!
blackie
College softball pitchers lately have a history of their arms blowing out because of how they were used prior to college. Don't know anything about this one. But when I coached high-level competitive softball coaches paid more attention to winning than thinking about the future health of their top pitchers. They used them way too much and while softball throwing motion allows for more use than baseball, it is not unlimited.

Risky bet in my opinion, especially if Tech tries to ride her too much.
Killing Floor
Also FWIW expanding on my above comment that one great pitcher doesn't win a series or a season, Texas beat Stanford twice in the NCAA WCWS and she was pitching both times.
Let’s Go!
Stefano DiMera
There's a husband/wife duo who specifically earmarked their donation for softball.

Just like the recent one from Bob Simpson for baseball.
Jack Bauer
She will make more than Brock Purdy this year!
Yogi
Stanford to Tech?
Palo Alto to Lubbock?

Yep, checks out!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
muddybrazos
Stefano DiMera said:

There's a husband/wife duo who specifically earmarked their donation for softball.

Fair enough.
PartyBear
1.2 million for a softball player?
Daveisabovereproach
Stefano DiMera said:

The real moral of the story is that it's nice to be so incredibly rich that you can blow $1.2 million on hiring a softball pitcher to play at your mediocre school for a year or whatever

Hopefully she got her degree from Stanford before she did this.
BUGWBBear
Yogi said:

Stanford to Tech?
Palo Alto to Lubbock?

Yep, checks out!

Pine trees to Pizza Delivery. Yup
Bobsyouruncle
$1.2 million would almost cover the current cost of a BU undergrad degree.

Kidding. Sort of.
JP1037
I doubt this story is true but if even close this might be the most moronic Tech thing I've ever seen and that is a long list.

Softball?
Stefano DiMera
Why would you doubt it's true?

It was on the scroll at the bottom of ESPN all day...and unlike some of the fake news that gets passed off on this board the above tweet is a legit news source.

As I said above..the donors specifically said for softball..so that's what it has to be used for.
JP1037
Stefano DiMera said:

Why would you doubt it's true?

It was on the scroll at the bottom of ESPN all day...and unlike some of the fake news that gets passed off on this board the above tweet is a legit news source.

As I said above..the donors specifically said for softball..so that's what it has to be used for.
Why would I doubt it?

#1 Multiple reports have claimed 7 figure NIL deals that were later said to exaggerated. Even Roach (or maybe it was Edgecombe) deal according to Ashley Hodge were exaggerated.

#2 The stupidity of paying a college softball player $1.2 million seems to indicate its exaggerated. Just makes no sense. I Googled it and in 2019 Tech averaged 528 people per game at Softball games. Baylor lead the Big 12 with 961avg.

Possible some rich Tech family has a kid playing softball and is trying to support I still struggle to believe that number.
Big12Fan2024
I do have intel on this one as my uncle is now the head of a Collective at a P5 school for which I will not name, although I will say it is a school that is heavy into the NIL game and has nationally ranked programs in pretty much every sport. That was the exact number presented to him and the Collective passed.
Big12Fan2024
JP1037 said:

#1 Multiple reports have claimed 7 figure NIL deals that were later said to exaggerated. Even Roach (or maybe it was Edgecombe) deal according to Ashley Hodge were exaggerated.

Roach's deal was exaggerated. I know the exact number requested on that one too from my uncle, and it was not as high as figures banded about social media.
beardoc
From the AJ:

Here's how NiJaree Canady found her new home with Texas Tech softball (lubbockonline.com)
Amarillobear
chriscbear said:

Takes big money to get kids to come to Lubbock. Feed lots and sand storms.

…and bad academics.
Killing Floor
If you can't get your grades up,
Get your guns up!
Let’s Go!
Harrison Bergeron
That's the craziest story of the year.

Is there a softball program in the country than makes $1M / year?
Killing Floor
Texas got a $10M donation specifically for cheer. They are building a locker/study/lounge in one of the upper stadium suite areas. The idea is to rival a top D1 football film/study lounge.

If a donor wants to fund something or someone it will het done.
Let’s Go!
T-REX
Harrison Bergeron said:

That's the craziest story of the year.

Is there a softball program in the country than makes $1M / year?
there is not a single program that makes $1
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
JP1037
beardoc said:

From the AJ:

Here's how NiJaree Canady found her new home with Texas Tech softball (lubbockonline.com)

My favorite part of this article was when they say her signing wasn't about the money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.