No need to overreact

5,579 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Bearfan21
Bearfan21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seen a lot of poor and hot takes on Finn, Aranda, etc. We played the #11 team on the road and they've lost 2-3 games in the last 6 years.

We all knew the O line was going to be poor this season and any QB behind them was going to struggle. This was Finn's first true P4 game and it was on the road against one of the nations best teams.

The defense played very well for a unit that spent a lot of time on the field in the first half. If the offense can work out its kinks (O line, run game) and the defense plays like today, you can see the path to 6 wins. There's no shame in losing to a team like Utah today. I saw enough to still not write off this season.
MrGolfguy
Baylor won't play a better team this season at a tougher venue. This one looked bad but just flush it and move on.
Daveisabovereproach
Break out the juice boxes and rice crispies. Heads held high, I don't want to see any tears. If you keep your head up, you're all winners despite what the scoreboard says
Bearfan21
You can see the improvement from last year. Dave coaches the defense and that unit played well. Delusional
Fre3dombear
If Dave gets to 6 it's cuz the big 12 now sucks that bad

This wasn't a game baylor really had a chance in anyway

What's more disturbing is what we're doing at QB.

And on point afters when down 11. And on 4th down with a guy holding a clipboard 30 seconds earlier.

Dave is Dave to the bitter end. Is what it is.
Daveisabovereproach
Bearfan21 said:

You can see the improvement from last year. Dave coaches the defense and that unit played well. Delusional

Sunshine pumping (special individual). I'm guessing you are Gen Z based on your username. Typical delusional person. I have nothing more to say to you or anybody else who is solely here to try to control the narrative after a terrible loss. If anybody actually wants to talk shop with a tiny bit of honesty, that's cool
Jacques Strap
Incredible offense! Was afraid if I took a break I'd miss another TD.

...wait, wrong thread, wrong year.
Bearfan21
Agreed. Still working through new schemes. If you let it carry over and play bad against Air Force, then it's a different conversation but it's too early to be calling for new QB, a HC, a new AD. Fair weather fans
canoso
Bearfan21 said:

OK. Who do we hold under 14 -17 points the rest of the season?
IowaBear
You can't be serious regarding Finn. There's HS school QBs in freaking Iowa who are better passers. Finn sucks, take off the gold, green blinders
Daveisabovereproach
IowaBear said:

You can't be serious regarding Finn. There's HS school QBs in freaking Iowa who are better passers. Finn sucks, take off the gold, green blinders

These dudes come out of nowhere after a loss. It's absolutely mind-bogglingly insane. There's no way even they believe some of the stuff they say. That's why I've said in the past that I think they may be athletic department employees or alt accounts for some of the premium staff on this board
boognish_bear
Utah is likely one of the better teams in FBS and we played them close. It wasn't a great chance...but we still had a chance to win in Q4. I'm definitely encouraged by several things today.

But Finn leaves me unimpressed. There were some concerning passes against Tarelton...so I was really curious to see what he brought today.

I don't fault him for the plays when the pocket quickly broke down which happened often....but there were too many times where he did have time to set his feet and many of those passes were still waaaaaaaay off target. Like so bad the WR didn't even try and jump.

I think Sawyer gives us the better chance of making those completions. We can still bring Finn in for certain spots.

I'm fine giving him one more chance to start the AF game...but if he's still way off on his passes I hope we give Sawyer a look.
Guitarbiscuit
Bearfan21 said:

Your take is not right. Sure our defense is good. But a one dimensional quarterback won't get the job done.
Bearfan21
Houston. But allowing 14-17 points would make you one of the best defenses in the country
pitchspork
Daveisabovereproach said:

Bearfan21 said:

Sunshine pumping phaghot. I'm guessing you are Gen Z based on your username. Typical delusional person. I have nothing more to say to you or anybody else who is solely here to try to control the narrative after a terrible loss. If anybody actually wants to talk shop with a tiny bit of honesty, that's cool

You're a disgrace.
Guitarbiscuit
boognish_bear said:

Utah is likely one of the better teams in FBS and we played them close. It wasn't a great chance...but we still had a chance to win in Q4. I'm definitely encouraged by several things today.

But Finn leaves me unimpressed. There were some concerning passes against Tarelton...so I was really curious to see what he brought today.

I don't fault him for the plays when the pocket quickly broke down which happened often....but there were too many times where he did have time to set his feet and many of those passes were still waaaaaaaay off target. Like so bad the WR didn't even try and jump.

I think Sawyer gives us the better chance of making those completions. We can still bring Finn in for certain spots.

I'm fine giving him one more chance to start the AF game...but if he's still way off on his passes I hope we give Sawyer a look.

I like your take, but it is a bit too patient for my liking.
Daveisabovereproach
pitchspork said:

Bearfan21 said:

Sunshine pumping phaghot. I'm guessing you are Gen Z based on your username. Typical delusional person. I have nothing more to say to you or anybody else who is solely here to try to control the narrative after a terrible loss. If anybody actually wants to talk shop with a tiny bit of honesty, that's cool

You're a disgrace.

The way that you and the other dishonest people on this board try to control the narrative is a disgrace. Put me on ignore

(and look, another random person coming out of the woodwork. Alternate account for the OP, I'm guessing)
Bearfan21
After one game? I'm not defending Finn and if it looks the same against Air Force and Colorado, then I'm in agreement with you. But calling him the worst QB in Baylor history after 2 games is a stretch. Let's see where we are at the end of the month
canoso

IowaBear said:

These dudes come out of nowhere after a loss. It's absolutely mind-bogglingly insane. There's no way even they believe some of the stuff they say. That's why I've said in the past that I think they may be athletic department employees or alt accounts for some of the premium staff on this board
I'm thinking it's the same guys that visited the WSJ about 8 years ago.
Guitarbiscuit
Bearfan21 said:

Seen a lot of poor and hot takes on Finn, Aranda, etc. We played the #11 team on the road and they've lost 2-3 games in the last 6 years.

We all knew the O line was going to be poor this season and any QB behind them was going to struggle. This was Finn's first true P4 game and it was on the road against one of the nations best teams.

The defense played very well for a unit that spent a lot of time on the field in the first half. If the offense can work out its kinks (O line, run game) and the defense plays like today, you can see the path to 6 wins. There's no shame in losing to a team like Utah today. I saw enough to still not write off this season.

No one is buying your take. All sellers, no buyers.

Stefano DiMera
BYU... Houston..is Cincinnati on schedule?
pitchspork

pitchspork said:

Bearfan21 said:

You're a disgrace.

Put me on ignore, queeer bait

(and look, another random person coming out of the woodwork. Alternate account for the OP, I'm guessing)

Not stooping to your level, but you can check my account. I've been here a minute.

Not happy with this game or this offense, but I won't let it take me to a level where I'm slinging slurs at people on a message board.
Jorkel
Finn was so average against Tarleton I'm not surprised he was abysmal today.
Guitarbiscuit
Bearfan21 said:

After one game? I'm not defending Finn and if it looks the same against Air Force and Colorado, then I'm in agreement with you. But calling him the worst QB in Baylor history after 2 games is a stretch. Let's see where we are at the end of the month

I definitely do not call him the worst quarterback in Baylor history. I've seen a lot of mediocrity in my day.

What I am saying is that Finn, even when given time, cannot complete passes that your average Division 1 quarterback should complete. And that is setting us up for failure over and over.

I'm saying Finn is a C minus quarterback, and Sawyer is a B- quarterback due to his ability to get the ball at least in the vicinity of the receiver's hands.

IowaBear
What evidence is there to support us beating either of those teams?
Will be AF (they're terrible) that's the last guarantee win
chukronos

Bearfan21 said:

You are correct. Truthful debate is helpful and informative. The play calling and performance in this game was straight up bad. But, don't let lowbrow name calling ruin your point. You're better than that.
bear2be2
Fre3dombear said:

And on point afters when down 11. And on 4th down with a guy holding a clipboard 30 seconds earlier.

We definitely had a chance today if we show up ready to play and don't self-destruct in the first 12 minutes. Our defense arrived at the stadium today ready and equipped to keep us in that ballgame. Unfortunately, the offense wasn't up to the task.

But I'm not as depressed as I expected to be in the first half. I think there's a path to a decent season and brighter future. We can compete in this conference, but we've got to get better on offense in a hurry to do it.
JP1037
You guys do realize the only reason we played Utah close in the second half was that somehow their backup QB was worse than our starter.

Our D played well but without Rising Utah was lost on offense. Looked like two similar offenses in the second half.
Guitarbiscuit
bear2be2 said:

Fre3dombear said:

We definitely had a chance today if we show up ready to play and don't self-destruct in the first 12 minutes. Our defense arrived at the stadium today ready and equipped to keep us in that ballgame. Unfortunately, the offense wasn't up to the task.

But I'm not as depressed as I expected to be in the first half. I think there's a path to a decent season and brighter future. We can compete in this conference, but we've got to get better on offense in a hurry to do it.

Would you say that starting Robertson would make our offense better, Bear2be2?
bear2be2
canoso said:

Bearfan21 said:

I don't think some of you guys appreciate how mediocre to bad most of the defenses in the Big 12 are. Or perhaps how sound Utah is defensively.

I liked our chances to compete in that game based on the fact that I've never been super sold on Utah's offense. But their defense is remarkably disciplined and extremely well-coached. Fortunately (for our sake), we won't see another defense like that all year. Iowa State is probably the closest thing we'll see to that level of play, but no one else on our remaining schedule is capable of playing at Utah's level on D.

That said, we've got to get better on offense. Period. Full stop. We can't win playing the way we did today offensively. We need more from the quarterback position and from our offensive unit as a whole going forward.
Daveisabovereproach
chukronos said:

Bearfan21 said:

You are correct. Truthful debate is helpful and informative. The play calling and performance in this game was straight up bad. But, don't let lowbrow name calling ruin your point. You're better than that.

I have noticed that the people who start with the insults rarely get called out. Total double standard. Somebody said something mean, I said something mean. I put them on the ignore list, and I doubt I will miss out on anything

Much like last season, I have a feeling that I'm eventually going to lose interest with this team this season, and I'm not going to waste as much time on here, so the dude won't have to deal with me for very long

In any event, I did go and edit my comments.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

This is where I'm at. I'm skeptical at this point of Finn's ability to play at the Big 12 level. But I'm willing to give him parts of the next two games to prove me wrong.

I do want to see Sawyer get some meaningful snaps, though. Our season -- and Dave's job -- may well depend on his ability to come in and contribute. He needs some opportunities before things get dire to ease his way in and prove himself as well.

And other than the quarterback position and offensive line, I see a number of reasons for optimism with this team. Unfortunately, those two position groups could sink the ship before it even gets out to sea if we're not careful.
UTExan
bear2be2 said:

canoso said:

Bearfan21 said:

I don't think some of you guys appreciate how mediocre to bad most of the defenses in the Big 12 are. Or perhaps how sound Utah is defensively.

I liked our chances to compete in that game based on the fact that I've never been super sold on Utah's offense. But their defense is remarkably disciplined and extremely well-coached. Fortunately (for our sake), we won't see another defense like that all year. Iowa State is probably the closest thing we'll see to that level of play, but no one else on our remaining schedule is capable of playing at Utah's level on D.

That said, we've got to get better on offense. Period. Full stop. We can't win playing the way we did today offensively. We need more from the quarterback position and from our offensive unit as a whole going forward.

That is pretty much the bottom line. The Utes left points in the field from a kicker who is normally solid, but Baylor made some key adjustments in the 3rd quarter and pushed that Utah defensive line around for some good ground yardage inside. Then came that long 4th quarter drive. Still, the Bears showed physicality.
bear2be2
UTExan said:

bear2be2 said:

canoso said:

Bearfan21 said:

That is pretty much the bottom line. The Utes left points in the field from a kicker who is normally solid, but Baylor made some key adjustments in the 3rd quarter and pushed that Utah defensive line around for some good ground yardage inside. Then came that long 4th quarter drive. Still, the Bears showed physicality.
Our defense held up better than it had any right to, given how anemic our offense was for most of that game.

I'm super proud of that unit and excited about what it can accomplish the rest of the season.

But we have got to get better on offense. As good as Utah is on defense, they shouldn't have made us look as incompetent as they did for an entire half. That can't happen.
Fre3dombear
bear2be2 said:

Fre3dombear said:

We had a chance once rising went down. The ST score doomed us. And even then still had a chance but playing a severely hampered Utah
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.