Classic Tech post

2,533 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Stefano DiMera
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
BylrFan
Idk if i should laugh as half of our board feel the same way.
Johnny Bear
BylrFan said:

I'm guessing more than half of our board feels he never should've been fired in the first place.
Killing Floor
The more we learn from court proceedings the more we realize he was railroaded. Fall guy.
Let’s Go!
Robert Wilson
Johnny Bear said:

BylrFan said:

I'm guessing more than half of our board feels he never should've been fired in the first place.
Probably.

Tech did a similar thing to themselves with Leach. Only HC to ever make them nationally relevant, and they fired him b/c Craig James and his kid are spoiled brats and put some PR heat on Tech brass.

Probably a similar background, too, in that Tech brass already was tired of Leach b/c he "didn't fit in," similar to Baylor BOR members not liking Briles because of the UT situation and what I will call the Ahmad Dixon factor.
Wacoraisedbear
Who gives af! He's never coming back to CFB deal with it!!!!
Johnny Bear
Robert Wilson said:

Johnny Bear said:

BylrFan said:

Probably.

Tech did a similar thing to themselves with Leach. Only HC to ever make them nationally relevant, and they fired him b/c Craig James and his kid are spoiled brats and put some PR heat on Tech brass.

Probably a similar background, too, in that Tech brass already was tired of Leach b/c he "didn't fit in," similar to Baylor BOR members not liking Briles because of the UT situation and what I will call the Ahmad Dixon factor.

It's true that Leach was clearly the best HC TTech ever had (at least in the modern era if not all time) but even he never won a conference title for them and on balance was pretty much an 8-4 aggy like coach with 2 or 3 seasons that were better than that.
BigGameBaylorBear
Tech and TCU love hiring our former guys
muddybrazos
Johnny Bear said:

BylrFan said:

Count me solidly in that camp. No serious program wouldve fired him.
OsoCoreyell
Joey's in the hot seat, but not as hot as Dave's.
chorne68
I sure hope they do not hire him. We will be back in the dark ages again. He was the fall guy that the Board paid $15,000,000 to go away.
Aliceinbubbleland
Wacoraisedbear said:

Who gives af! He's never coming back to CFB deal with it!!!!
I do
Ghostrider
Unfortunately, Art is too old. One of the best offensive minds ever. We would have won a CFP championship with him.
Yogi
What is so funny about it?

Other players and coaches who have no criminal histories are still active.

Heck, there are plethora (Yes, CDA) of coaches and players who have criminal histories that are still coaching and playing. Any Texans fans know how Joe Mixon did yesterday?

So, Briles gets a lifetime sentence because he turned down Texas? Because he coached at Baylor? Because he was somehow head of the compliance department at Baylor after the Title IX rules were changed by executive order in 2011?

Seriously, I am so thankful there is a God because God is more loving, less vicious, and less vindictive than man is.

At least with God, everyone has a shot at redemption.

I wish there were a way we could learn from Him...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
PartyBear
OsoCoreyell said:

Joey's in the hot seat, but not as hot as Dave's.

I don't know. There are Tech people every bit as vicious as some here are toward Aranda. As to real hot seat in terms of administration and BMDs probably also about the same warm perhaps as of today.
BigGameBaylorBear
Does Aranda have a criminal record? Or did I read that wrong
BigCheese83
I saw the most upvoted post on here Saturday night (at least it was, for a time)

Lets not throw stones from our glass house
Killing Floor
Negligent Gamicide

Look it up. That's a real word.
Let’s Go!
johnnychimpo
It's insane to think in 93 seasons Tech has played in 0 Sugar, Orange, Fiesta or Rose bowls. Pretty insane if you think about it.

The 5 Cotton bowls they played in were before the CFP NY6 format when that bowl was made into an access bowl.
PartyBear
They weren't in the equivalent of being in what we today call a power conference until around 1958 or so when they were invited to join the SWC. But that has still now been 66 or so years.

The Cotton Bowl always has been a major bowl equal to the Sugar, Orange and Rose in the pre BCS days. The Rose however was tied to the BiG and PAC prior to the BCS. In those days it was the champs of those two conferences. Sugar was always hosted by the SEC champ historically and the Orange hosted by the Big 8 champ with the Cotton obviously hosted by the SWC champ. The only Cotton Bowl I'm aware of that Tech played in prior to BCS era was the New Years Day of 95 one. I don't remember if they have been to the Cotton Bowl since the turn of the century when everything I said above changed.
historian
Tech played in 2 Cotton Bowls this century:

2006 they lost to Bama
2009 they lost to Ole Miss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_Bowl_Classic
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Johnny Bear
historian said:

Tech played in 2 Cotton Bowls this century:

2006 they list to Bama
2009 they list to Ole Miss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_Bowl_Classic

The '95 Cotton Bowl they played in (which was still during the time when the SWC Champ hosted) was after that crazy '94 season when there was a 5 way tie at the top (per aggy being ineligible) and TTech represented the SWC simply because they had gone the longest since going there. And their opponent USC had the game out of reach by the end of the first quarter.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Killing Floor said:

Negligent Gamicide

Look it up. That's a real word.

Under rated post.
Guitarbiscuit
BigGameBaylorBear said:

Is Yogi claiming that Aranda has a criminal record? Not that sure that's accurate.
Yogi
BigGameBaylorBear said:

You read it wrong.

Read it again a little more carefully.

Also notice that the word "Aranda" is not used at all in my post about CAB. Maybe that's your confusion.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BigGameBaylorBear
You said "Yes, CDA", a lot of us on this board abbreviate Dave Aranda with CDA
Guitarbiscuit
Yogi said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

You read it wrong.

Read it again a little more carefully.

Also notice that the word "Aranda" is not used at all in my post about CAB. Maybe that's your confusion.

You specifically refered to CDA as having a criminal record. You wrote it wrong and you should probably edit it. Quit gaslighting people and correct your mistake.
Ghostrider
Aranda should be charged for theft from Baylor.
Guitarbiscuit
If that's what the poster is referring to, I'm all for that. The only other time I've seen a more precipitous drop in the football program is from 1995 to 1997. This might be worse.

Ghostrider said:

Aranda should be charged for theft from Baylor.
Redbrickbear
Robert Wilson said:

Johnny Bear said:

BylrFan said:

I remember how Tech leaders were upset that Leach went out all night partying in New York City after the Heisman Trophy presentation (Graham Harrell was a finalist that year in '08)

They were pissed the next morning when he showed up to meet some Tech jumbo shrimp eaters in the same outfit he had on the night before and reeking of booze and cigarettes

lol

He also apparently was bad a calling big donors back and was notorious for missing scheduled golf games with them.

Basically he was weird (and awesome) and they did not like him out in the High Plains.
historian
Sounds like he was more interesting in coaching football than all the schmoozing that went with it.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
beardoc
And now they've fired another poplar coach:

Texas Tech University accuses former rodeo coach of financial mismanagement, disregard for animal well-being and policy violations (kcbd.com)
Stefano DiMera
No ..he was more interested in getting drunk than handling the other off field responsibilities of being a college head coach.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.