Coach Prime is not interested in meeting Baylor's live bears

814 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by MrGolfguy
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
boognish_bear
He can be funny and entertaining when he's not being thin skinned.
historian
Since Saturday's game is in Boulder it's a moot point. We will not bring either cub with us to the game.

Thanks PETA.*

* PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals (or it should)
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Killing Floor
No problem. Colorado has bears. Maybe some clever tailgaters can help me catch one before the game.
I'm already on it.
Let’s Go!
historian
That would be fun. But they won't let you take it into the stadium. And if it's a cub, watch out for the Momma Bear!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
guadalupeoso
My uncle was in chamber back and was a head bear trainer back in the 80s when they still took the bears to the games. He's got some great stories from those days. Wish it was still that way, but understand why it's not.
canoso
Hmmmmm....pretty sure there are zoos that have bison.
Redbrickbear
guadalupeoso said:

My uncle was in chamber back and was a head bear trainer back in the 80s when they still took the bears to the games. He's got some great stories from those days. Wish it was still that way, but understand why it's not.

I swear they were still coming in the early 2000s

(but maybe I'm wrong)
whitetrash
guadalupeoso said:

Was he the trainer in 1984? Back in those days not only did they take the bears to the games, occasionally they would take them for a walk around campus (like you would your yellow lab, except it took 2 trainers with chains instead of leashes to walk the bear). Which seemed to work ok, except for that one spring afternoon when I was meeting with a professor in his office on the 1st floor of Hankamer and we heard a commotion outside, along with the sound of clanging chains. Seems the bear had gotten away from the trainers and was lumbering up 5th Street, with the chains dragging along behind him, followed by 2 panicked Chamberpots running at full speed trying to catch the chains. I suppose they eventually did, because the story of a bear on the loose never made the news or the Lariat.
MrGolfguy
Redbrickbear said:

guadalupeoso said:

I swear they were still coming in the early 2000s

(but maybe I'm wrong)
Correct, the bear mascots came to games until 2002 which was the year that the SHARK group protested on campus. Baylor agreed to stop taking the Bears to games beginning 2003.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.