Story Poster
Photo by Jack Mackenzie - SicEm365
Baylor Football

Rapid Reactions: Baylor Loses OT Heartbreaker to Colorado

September 22, 2024

Craig Smoak offers his immediate thoughts and opinions on Baylor Football after their latest game.

Discussion from...

Rapid Reactions: Baylor Loses OT Heartbreaker to Colorado

2,532 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Quinton
Killing Floor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Please stop using that word. It is not a "heartbreaker" to call that last second time out to save the Buffs, let the opponent call in a play, and leave the end zone largely unattended. The word you're looking for is "charitable".
Let’s Go!
Hill Country Bear
Is there a way for someone to ask this question of Aranda on Monday? It seemed in his postgame press conference that he was more willing to point out mistakes by individual players without naming names but describing who they were in a way that it left no doubt. I haven't noticed him doing that before. It might have been emotion on his part, but I wondered if, in a "we pay players" era, he's more willing to hold players publicly accountable because they are getting paid. How has the paying of players changed how he coaches and corrects them?
BU82EX
You make an excellent point about calling out the players. In today's world of NIL, I'd say its completely fair to call out the players responsible for missed tackles, assignments, dropped passes, sacks, penalties, etc.. IF these players are getting paid. I know in my job, I'm going to be held personally accountable for my work production. You are now considered an investment and you should be held accountable for what your employer is getting for their investment in you (ROI).
ImABearToo
Spot on. We boo the NFL players so why not do the same for these minor league paid players.
4thandgoal
It's just baffling how often this team/coaching staff does things to lose games or flip momentum.

-Sawyer is in a rhythm early on and we need to keep our foot on the gas; so we come out and run up the middle 3 times for a 3 and out. Insane.

-when we do start to let him throw again it's screens behind the LOS. Throwing little fades to our 5'9 WR. Not getting Trigg, or anyone, involved over the middle of the field.

-last possession on offense, Huge Defensive stop and Cameron runs it down to the 26. A FG wins the game. So you conservatively run it THREE straight times, one of which is ANOTHER stupid delayed QB run, all for lost yardage. And of course the missed FG.

-on the delayed runs, the amount of times we ran these delayed QB runs to allow the defense to get in the backfield…. It's insane. Incompetent all across the board.

-of course the last drive and few plays in particular. Calling a timeout to allow Colorado more time to gameplan something. Playing man press on arguably the fastest group of WRs in the country (man press on anyone Is stupid here). Rushing 5. And to make it worse, we all knew it was a horrible decision and of course we have to hear Aranda say it was a mistake in the postgame conference.

-the fumble in OT at the goal line because of course - it's the Baylor way

Losing to Colorado on the road isn't "bad". But we had the game won. The way we lost it is fireable.

It's been two years of awful awful product on the field and all across the program. Beating Air Force isn't particularly impressive but we looked as good as we have in a long time. You finally start to get fans maybe believing again and what do you do? You have a game won on the road in prime time - that you horrible choke and throw away.

Why should fans ever get on board with Aranda and this program?

A play I keep thinking of - which luckily for Aranda had nothing to do with final result - against Utah the first Q is ending, all timeouts are there and we can run the clock out. Aranda calls a timeout with a second left and just completely wastes it for no reason - you have a free 3-4 minute timeout coming at break. And it negates a first down run. AND YOU RUN THE SAME EXACT PLAY YOU JUST RAN - shocker, it went for negative yardage.

It's not logical in the slightest. He has no clue how to manage games and make correct decisions.
4thandgoal
Defensive line was really solid for the most part aside from a few missed sacks. LBs were very good against the run.

The defensive backs…. Lorando stepped up and made some nice plays. But his awful PI early on, not turning around at all. Devin Lemear not knowing where the ball is, not turned around, and just walks into Hunter while the ball arrives. Insane.

Caden Jenkins was supposed to be arguably our best player. He's borderline unplayable now. All for a guy who took to Twitter last year about NIL BS. To have back to back Hail Mary plays where both should have been TDs to lose the game essentially? It's crazy.

How are our DBs so awfully coached?

And what about the few times our DBs literally stopped mid play and didn't tackle the ball carrier or simply make the finishing tackle or TOUCH to end the play and prevent that BS touchdown (he was down). It's just incompetency all across the board.

This group of DBs is worse than any year of Briles era, that is absolute insanity.
IowaBear
Lemear and Bobby are horrific safeties. And that's being candid. Jenkins just hasn't taken that next step. Goes back to player development which BU doesn't do
bear2be2
BU82EX said:

You make an excellent point about calling out the players. In today's world of NIL, I'd say its completely fair to call out the players responsible for missed tackles, assignments, dropped passes, sacks, penalties, etc.. IF these players are getting paid. I know in my job, I'm going to be held personally accountable for my work production. You are now considered an investment and you should be held accountable for what your employer is getting for their investment in you (ROI).
It's only fair for a coach to call out his players after acknowledging his own failures. And Dave had enough failures of his own to fill the whole press conference last night.
Dia del DougO
Killing Floor said:

Please stop using that word. It is not a "heartbreaker" to call that last second time out to save the Buffs, let the opponent call in a play, and leave the end zone largely unattended. The word you're looking for is "charitable".
Calling the time out after seeing the lineup on the field was good. The resulting strategery and execution was not so good.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Big12Fan2024
Dear Dave:

You said the problem was the players made a lot of mistakes. Why did they make the mistakes? I'll answer it for you -- we do not have a fundamentally sound team. Why do we not have a fundamentally sound team? Because despite you and your coaching staff having combined salaries well over $5 million, you have failed in teaching the basic fundamentals of the game. We may not have the raw talent of Texas, Ohio St or UGA but there's no reason our players can't perform the basic fundamentals of the game unless, of course, you and your staff didn't teach them. Which has been obvious for the past 3 seasons.
Quinton
Our safeties have no instinct or feel for the game. The number one criteria for a roamer to have and they don't have it. The dude who transferred back is okay but made mistakes too, and I don't even think he plays straight safety anymore. The other guys are unplayable
bear2be2
Big12Fan2024 said:

Dear Dave:

You said the problem was the players made a lot of mistakes. Why did they make the mistakes? I'll answer it for you -- we do not have a fundamentally sound team. Why do we not have a fundamentally sound team? Because despite you and your coaching staff having combined salaries well over $5 million, you have failed in teaching the basic fundamentals of the game. We may not have the raw talent of Texas, Ohio St or UGA but there's no reason our players can't perform the basic fundamentals of the game unless, of course, you and your staff didn't teach them. Which has been obvious for the past 3 seasons.

This. You know who doesn't critique missed assignments in the press after games? Kyle Whittingham. Why? Because his team doesn't miss assignments. Why? Because he's a good coach.

Everything about our program screams a lack of focused, competent leadership. And we're probably going to be stuck with this clown for another year.
4thandgoal
Quinton said:

Our safeties have no instinct or feel for the game. The number one criteria for a roamer to have and they don't have it. The dude who transferred back is okay but made mistakes too, and I don't even think he plays straight safety anymore. The other guys are unplayable

It's been a problem every year of the Aranda tenure aside from 2021. Zero instincts from anyone in the secondary.

And yes, we very well could have the worst P5 safety duo. They are beyond terrible.
Karab
4thandgoal said:

Defensive line was really solid for the most part aside from a few missed sacks. LBs were very good against the run.

The defensive backs…. Lorando stepped up and made some nice plays. But his awful PI early on, not turning around at all. Devin Lemear not knowing where the ball is, not turned around, and just walks into Hunter while the ball arrives. Insane.

Caden Jenkins was supposed to be arguably our best player. He's borderline unplayable now. All for a guy who took to Twitter last year about NIL BS. To have back to back Hail Mary plays where both should have been TDs to lose the game essentially? It's crazy.

How are our DBs so awfully coached?

And what about the few times our DBs literally stopped mid play and didn't tackle the ball carrier or simply make the finishing tackle or TOUCH to end the play and prevent that BS touchdown (he was down). It's just incompetency all across the board.

This group of DBs is worse than any year of Briles era, that is absolute insanity.

Powledge is coaching safeties.

And Kevin Curtis is the cornerbacks coach.

At least one of them (Powledge) has proven woefully incompetent as DC. So, there's probably a trend. Did Powledge fall into success riding on the coattails of high quality players?
Quinton
I believe it is. I've watched some of Vandy, Houston, and Northwestern.. all their zero star guys played the ball better. Looked like college players, ours don't.

I was surprised our guys weren't completely out of view most plays but their feel and technique is terrible
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.