Remembering...

2,143 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Johnny Bear
oldbear69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
remember those sarurdays when ud wake up to the fresh smell of bacon and coffee.,and look forward to the game, knowing u were going yo win it or at least lose 48-45,, if Bennett could get u one stop, ,, the 4 play 80 yd drives or the scoring in less than 90 seconds,, the swag u had when u put out ur baylor flag in the neighborhood....the national attention we had , not just on local media.....dont evn mention the big 12 championships or the #5 rankings....man i miss those saturday mornings and the smell of that coffee....
Bearsalwayswin
those were the days…..
Realitybites
MrGolfguy
Unicorn
Johnny Bear
The saddest part of all was that it didn't have to end. What our BOI did was about like burning your house to the ground to deal with a minor cockroach infestation.
Stranger
Realitybites said:

that's a beautiful quote. who wrote those words?
Johnny Bear
Stranger said:

Realitybites said:

I don't know if that is an actual quote from George Patton himself or not, but I do know that is one of my favorite movie endings from one of my all time favorite movies.
morethanhecouldbear
It's been almost a decade.

Maybe time to move on..
Mitch Blood Green
oldbear69 said:

remember those sarurdays when ud wake up to the fresh smell of bacon and coffee.,and look forward to the game, knowing u were going yo win it or at least lose 48-45,, if Bennett could get u one stop, ,, the 4 play 80 yd drives or the scoring in less than 90 seconds,, the swag u had when u put out ur baylor flag in the neighborhood....the national attention we had , not just on local media.....dont evn mention the big 12 championships or the #5 rankings....man i miss those saturday mornings and the smell of that coffee....

I don't remember the bacon but I remember the excitement, the confidence, the pure joy of being elite.
macbat11
baylors 15 minutes are over. they will never see the national stage again in football..But their is basketball ...
Johnny Bear
macbat11 said:

baylors 15 minutes are over. they will never see the national stage again in football..But their is basketball ...

It was more than 15 minutes and there is no legit reason for it to be permanently "over". BU is still located smack in the middle of as hot of a recruiting area as there is in the country and financial commitment plus facilities/infrastructure aren't and haven't been the obstacles they once were for a decade now and counting. You obviously have to have the right HC and staff which we clearly don't right now - but that's not ultimately some impossible hurdle that can't be overcome.
canoso
morethanhecouldbear said:

Maybe time to move on..
If things stay the way they are now, from the top of the administration down, we'll move on to more of the same. Guaranteed.
Daveisabovereproach
It was nice being a student circa 2010 to 2014 and being able to talk smack to your high school friends about football. To be honest, I don't think we'd be able to get to that level again in the modern transfer portal/NIL era. The RGIIIs of the world are never coming to Baylor ever again nor are the KD Cannons, Corey Coleman's, Lache Seastrunks etc.
hodedofome
Johnny Bear said:

macbat11 said:

It was more than 15 minutes and there is no legit reason for it to be permanently "over". BU is still located smack in the middle of as hot of a recruiting area as there is in the country and financial commitment plus facilities/infrastructure aren't and haven't been the obstacles they once were for a decade now and counting. You obviously have to have the right HC and staff which we clearly don't right now - but that's not ultimately some impossible hurdle that can't be overcome.

When you think about how rare it is to have a consistently winning coach, you can't just go out and hire one when you want. There is so much luck involved.

Look at UT and how many coaches they went through before finding success again. Tech still hasn't found it after Leach, although perhaps they have someone now. TCU is wildly variable. Colorado went years without a good coach, Nebraska has never gone back to where they were, Michigan went through years before finding a coach, Florida has been awful, Georgia never went all the way before Smart, and Miami hasn't seen success like they used to, Stanford has been bad for a while.

There's a lot of blue bloods who can't find one, it won't be easy for Baylor.
Realitybites
Stranger said:

I'm not sure. It is attributed to Patton, but I don't know if it is an extract from "War As I Knew It", something that those around him heard him say, or if it came out of the mind of a screenwriter and was voiced by George C Scott.

Regardless, it is one of the classic endings to one of the best movies Hollywood ever made. If you haven't watched it, I'd highly recommend it.
drahthaar
I never got into the smack with friends but it was really sweet to not have to apologize for football ineptness when it just wasn't necessary to be inept.
DAC
The silver lining is we don't have to worry about taking bathroom breaks during the game anymore . No more accidents
montypython
hodedofome said:

Johnny Bear said:

macbat11 said:

When you think about how rare it is to have a consistently winning coach, you can't just go out and hire one when you want. There is so much luck involved.

Look at UT and how many coaches they went through before finding success again. Tech still hasn't found it after Leach, although perhaps they have someone now. TCU is wildly variable. Colorado went years without a good coach, Nebraska has never gone back to where they were, Michigan went through years before finding a coach, Florida has been awful, Georgia never went all the way before Smart, and Miami hasn't seen success like they used to, Stanford has been bad for a while.

There's a lot of blue bloods who can't find one, it won't be easy for Baylor.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I do think we can get the right guy and it doesn't have to be hard. The key is to understand what makes a successful coach.

I can be our AD and will only ask for $500,000 a year, which is a bargain compared to what we are paying the current guy. The money that I would have made will instead get spread amongst the players. There is little justification that coaches and ADs should be making kings ransoms anymore as they can no longer hide behind the "we can't pay players" BS from yesteryear.
ABC BEAR
Stranger said:

Realitybites said:

Kamala Harris
Stranger
ABC BEAR said:

Stranger said:

Realitybites said:

Kamala Harris

that's so middle class . . .
LagunaBear
morethanhecouldbear said:

Maybe time to move on..

^^^This

I'm sure we've all thought about it a lot. I'll certainly admit that I've been on both sides of the fence on the whole Briles deal. I think there was some bad stuff going on, and we'd be embarrassed if we knew what all happened.

I admit, we'll probably never see that kind of football success again in our lifetimes. Regardless, nothing we can do about it now. Need to move on.

ABC BEAR
Stranger said:

ABC BEAR said:

Stranger said:

Realitybites said:

Kamala Harris

that's so middle class . . .
They do take care of their lawns.
Robert Wilson
It happened. Once. We can all remember.
GabrielFoster
One of the most beautiful endings to any war movie, it's just so touching!
Johnny Bear
ABC BEAR said:

Stranger said:

Realitybites said:

Kamala Harris

Nope. It makes sense and actually has a point to it - so it can't possibly be Kamala Harris.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.