Week 7 AP Top 25....Army and Navy both ranked

1,881 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Bearsalwayswin
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wonder when the last time is that both Army and Navy were ranked at the same time?

ISU checks in as the highest ranked B12 team.

BellCountyBear
Where's Vanderbilt?
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
BellCountyBear said:

Where's Vanderbilt?

Big12Fan2024
Gotta love Bama's control over the media and the media's desire to make sure Bama is in the playoff no matter what they end up looking like.

Bama struggles at home and has to rally to beat a mediocre South Carolina. Stays ranked the same.
Tennessee struggles at home and rallies to beat a mediocre Florida team in OT. Falls 3 spots.

I've thought Tennessee has been overhyped all year but it has become pretty clear the same applies to Bama.
Big12Fan2024
boognish_bear said:

BellCountyBear said:

Where's Vanderbilt?

Congrats OU and Nebraska. You're not in the Big 8 or even the Big 12 any longer. Enjoy spending the next 20 years in the "Others Receiving Votes" instead of your perennial positions in the past of Top 10 to Top 25 every year. Enjoy the money because you'll never see the trophies again.
Johnny Bear
Big12Fan2024 said:

boognish_bear said:

BellCountyBear said:

Where's Vanderbilt?

Congrats OU and Nebraska. You're not in the Big 8 or even the Big 12 any longer. Enjoy spending the next 20 years in the "Others Receiving Votes" instead of your perennial positions in the past of Top 10 to Top 25 every year. Enjoy the money because you'll never see the trophies again.

It's been pretty much that way for Nebraska since they left the Big 12 in 2010. For OU it's a new thing, but I'm not going to be too surprised if it becomes a trend for them as well.
boognish_bear
Johnny Bear said:

Big12Fan2024 said:

boognish_bear said:

BellCountyBear said:

Where's Vanderbilt?

It's been pretty much that way for Nebraska since they left the Big 12 in 2010. For OU it's a new thing, but I'm not going to be too surprised if it becomes a trend for them as well.

Yeah...i don't think Venables is the guy. The risk you take hiring a coordinator I guess.
boognish_bear
Jack Bauer
Vandy plays Ball State this week, with a win they will be 5-2 and likely ranked and then would host another #1 - Texas.
Beaneater
OP: last time Army & Navy were both ranked was 1960, per the Athletic.
burg0047
Liberty got 2 votes.

How many did Baylor get?
boognish_bear
El Oso
boognish_bear said:

I was gifted two in a suite last night. They aren't for sale.
BigGameBaylorBear
SEC bias is real. I'm pulling for ISU and BYU to make the playoff
morethanhecouldbear
Big12Fan2024 said:

Gotta love Bama's control over the media
with espn, it's real.

I clicked on most of the big 12 team pages on espn on Saturday and half of them had sec news at the top.

If I'm looking at a B12 team, why in the **** would I give a **** about an sec team?

It's stuff like that that we are pushed over and over. We are swimming in it and don't even realize it because it is so commonplace.
Jack Bauer
BigGameBaylorBear said:

How do you lose as 27 point favorite to Vandy and squeak out home win as 21 point favorite and remain in thr top 10..??
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
bear2be2
BellCountyBear said:

Where's Vanderbilt?
The Georgia State loss hurts them. But around that game, they've played very well this season. If you take that loss away, they're a top-15 team.
bear2be2
Beaneater said:

It's awesome that Army and Navy are playing as well as they are ... are are starting to get some legitimate respect for it.

I'm not sure how many know this but Navy coach Brian Newberry is a former Baylor football player.
boognish_bear
bear2be2 said:

Beaneater said:

It's awesome that Army and Navy are playing as well as they are ... are are starting to get some legitimate respect for it.

I'm not sure how many know this but Navy coach Brian Newberry is a former Baylor football player.

I did not know that. Can we hire him yesterday?
CHP Bear
Jack Bauer said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

How do you lose as 27 point favorite to Vandy and squeak out home win as 21 point favorite and remain in thr top 10..??
Name recognition.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

bear2be2 said:

Beaneater said:

I did not know that. Can we hire him yesterday?
I don't know if Baylor fans would be real keen on his modified Wing-T offense. They actually call it the "Fling-T" or the "millennial version" Wing-T because they do pass out of it a bit. But those who had trouble adapting to Jeff Nixon and Jeff Grimes' offenses would have a coronary watching Newberry's. Haha.

I personally wouldn't mind it at all. I don't care what scheme we run as long as we're successful and can recruit to it. And I love pairing a physical run game with a good, sound defense. I still think that's the best path to consistent success if you can do it.

Former Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo is proving at San Jose State, though, that coaches can change offensive philosophies and remain successful. He went from winning with the triple option at Navy to averaging 41 pass attempts per game this year in his first season at SJSU.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
EatMoreSalmon
Remind me why Missouri was ranked so high to begin with?
morethanhecouldbear
EatMoreSalmon said:

Just another example of why rankings should never be used.

They seem to benefit the big name schools the most, followed by whatever conferences and programs the networks need to push to get their money back.
bear2be2
EatMoreSalmon said:

Didn't you hear? There's no one in the Big 12 capable of staying on the field with the mighty Tigers and Ole Miss Rebels.
bear2be2
morethanhecouldbear said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

Just another example of why rankings should never be used.

They seem to benefit the big name schools the most, followed by whatever conferences and programs the networks need to push to get their money back.
Rankings shouldn't even exist before Week 7. We don't know what any of these teams are until they've played at least three conference games.
BigGameBaylorBear
Depending on how this year rolls out, the Big12, ACC, and even smaller leagues need to stick up to the P2, form an alliance if you have to, heck, do your own playoff.

I've said it forever, the SEC and especially the B10 are EXTREMELY overrated outside of the top couple squads
burg0047
BigGameBaylorBear said:

Depending on how this year rolls out, the Big12, ACC, and even smaller leagues need to stick up to the P2, form an alliance if you have to, heck, do your own playoff.

I've said it forever, the SEC and especially the B10 are EXTREMELY overrated outside of the top couple squads
They all act like their S don't stink though... that's for sure!
Chamberman
BigGameBaylorBear said:

If there was only a way to be certain that one of them would make it in.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.