Football
Sponsored by

A Serious Question

1,929 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 80sBEAR
Johnny Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Reflecting back over the last year and a half and considering the self imposed annihilation of a nationally relevant college football program that had been brilliantly built from the ashes through blood, sweat and tears over multiple seasons, my question is what good or positive has come from all of this? Some trial lawyers and some of the alleged victims have gotten rich or will get rich off of it to the extent that is considered "positive" or "good", but otherwise what else has happened or what else will even possibly happen that is even remotely worth the destruction that has occurred which has already cost BU $millions and which could ultimately cost the university untold hundreds of $millions in the years to come? Are BU coeds any safer than they already were pre-May, 2016? I seriously doubt it. Okay, Rachel Baribeau thinks we're "cool" (of course after previously being a full fledged member of the hysterical media mob with torches and pitchforks in hand) but how much is that really worth? After their enthusiastic campaign to destroy us, are we at least getting cudos from that same media (excluding Ms. Baribeau) about "changing our ways and doing things the right way"? No, on the contrary they're by and large just laughing at us. Paul Finebaum who is gleefully chuckling at us being ranked as a solid bottom 5 team and who is "enjoying this" even more than he would have enjoyed it had we gotten the death penalty he was advocating for is a prime example.

So again, what possible good has come from this or what good will come from it that is potent enough to even remotely make the suicide that occurred anywhere near worth it?
80sBEAR
Johnny Bear said:

Reflecting back over the last year and a half and considering the self imposed annihilation of a nationally relevant college football program that had been brilliantly built from the ashes through blood, sweat and tears over multiple seasons, my question is what good or positive has come from all of this? Some trial lawyers and some of the alleged victims have gotten rich or will get rich off of it to the extent that is considered "positive" or "good", but otherwise what else has happened or what else will even possibly happen that is even remotely worth the destruction that has occurred which has already cost BU $millions and which could ultimately cost the university untold hundreds of $millions in the years to come? Are BU coeds any safer than they already were pre-May, 2016? I seriously doubt it. Okay, Rachel Baribeau thinks we're "cool" (of course after previously being a full fledged member of the hysterical media mob with torches and pitchforks in hand) but how much is that really worth? After their enthusiastic campaign to destroy us, are we at least getting cudos from that same media (excluding Ms. Baribeau) about "changing our ways and doing things the right way"? No, on the contrary they're by and large just laughing at us. Paul Finebaum who is gleefully chuckling at us being ranked as a solid bottom 5 team and who is "enjoying this" even more than he would have enjoyed it had we gotten the death penalty he was advocating for is a prime example.

So again, what possible good has come from this or what good will come from it that is potent enough to even remotely make the suicide that occurred anywhere near worth it?
Nothing positive has resulted from it. They have actually blown the Baylor Nation apart. Baylor people right now are as divided as Republicans and Democrats. I am just thankful the good Lord allowed us The Golden Age of Baylor Sports where Baylor Pride and enrollment numbers were at all time record levels. It was great for our Alumni, the student body, the faculty, as well as the Waco Community. It is sad and a shame it was torn down almost overnight by a handful of religious zealots with huge egos that were charged with leading our university. Had people behaved in such a manor in the business sector, they would have been removed and replaced.

Baylor Football is kinda like a close relative that has suddenly passed away, but at they at least cannot take the great memories away from us. We had us some good times! I wish Baylor the very best in the future. I am pulling for Baylor but with the current leadership still in place, I am less than optimistic.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
PartyBear
A question that should be asked of the BOR. Along with have you learned how not to be stupid and to handle a future situation the way every other university handled it.
Wwbear
Some are going to say Baylor will have a team that does it the right way, moral standards and all that stuff. In reality I expect graduating students and the Waco area to feel the sting.

Right now we are Rape U around the water cooler in Dallas/Houston/Austin, we are know for the scandal. I image graduates will have to deal with that stigma when they hit the workforce. Lord knows I hear it every time people find out Im a Baylor grad.

Waco will feel the economic impact if the crowds go back to what it was like when you could pick up free Baylor tickets and pretty much pick your seat in bear heights. I assume we'll also see a decline in enrollment but more importantly, the projections for student growth that all those developers used to justify building those new apartments/retail you see everywhere will fall way short and start to weigh on real estate values/economy.

Baylor really handled this as poorly as they could have because in the end they will end up paying the victims through settlements like UTen did but without destroying the program and causing so much collateral damage.
ArlingtonFarm Fingercuffs
The only possible good thing is that Baylor University hopefully no longer has a sloot-shaming judicial affairs office. Also, a couple of the administrators that were responsible for this culture have been golden parachuted, which is far better than they deserve.

Inexplicably though we found it necessary to fire a football coach for this epic fail, and have allowed the governing board responsible for oversight of the university to continue their ways.
PartyBear
Wwbear said:

Some are going to say Baylor will have a team that does it the right way, moral standards and all that stuff. In reality I expect graduating students and the Waco area to feel the sting.

Right now we are Rape U around the water cooler in Dallas/Houston/Austin, we are know for the scandal. I image graduates will have to deal with that stigma when they hit the workforce. Lord knows I hear it every time people find out Im a Baylor grad.

Waco will feel the economic impact if the crowds go back to what it was like when you could pick up free Baylor tickets and pretty much pick your seat in bear heights. I assume we'll also see a decline in enrollment but more importantly, the projections for student growth that all those developers used to justify building those new apartments/retail you see everywhere will fall way short and start to weigh on real estate values/economy.

Baylor really handled this as poorly as they could have because in the end they will end up paying the victims through settlements like UTen did but without destroying the program and causing so much collateral damage.
Think of the money lost by not playing for the national title (which we most seemed to think we were going to be hitting about now pre May 2016). Think of the money lost by not making major bowls even if we fell short of the play offs over the next several years. Think of the lost revenue from branding. Think of direct costs such as loss season ticket sales. Student numbers declining. etc. I said in the summer of 2016 the decisions then could result in a billion dollars of losses from what we would have earned over the next 10 years. I think Rhule has upped that loss to even more.

The Regents have been so imbecilic it is almost like they had intent to harm Baylor. They look arguably malevolent actually. Dont give me they had to fire Briles. Because there were less costly ways to do that even if we did have to fire Briles. Our XII colleagues north of the Red River demostrated how to do that almost a year to the date later and still be a national title contender.
cowboycwr
Wwbear said:

Well said.

And it will take forever for that image to go away. Just as it has with the basketball murder. We are finally getting to the point that some people don't know about it.

Just like it took until about 5 years about for people to not connect Waco to the branch davidians. And that was because the people old enough to remember it had forgotten or just not thought about it and the younger generation didn't know about it because it isn't a highly taught thing anywhere.

And nothing will change it. Not even a full release of court documents, clearing of names through trials, etc. The stigma is there and will stay no matter what. Just like it did for Duke Lacrosse.
Chanceux
Just a good ol cluster I reckon. Them ol regents aint have a dang clue how to handle all this junk. Hirin' and firin' PR firms was the first sign that them boys and gals were in mucho trouble. No direction. Shoot then somebody goes and writes a letter for Briles. Ain't gonna help him. But it sure looks purty dang dumb for somebody to do that. Along with not firing for cause of course. Meanwhile Starr looks like a genuinified jack donkey on tv. Interim Prez goes out and looks foolish in front of politicians. Then confirms said foolery in his emails.

A proper rebuttal right off the bat a la Volunteer style looks good now. Sloppy PR and slow reaction times by them regents was the cause. You can hang yer hat on that.

Course if you think about the regents its a mix of lawyers and jimmy swaggarts. What in the heck could go wrong?
Tommy_Lou_Ramsower
The letter to Briles was an indicator that Baylor's leadership has had no clue what they are doing. Complete fiasco all around.
Johnny Bear
Wwbear said:

I know we're talking anecdotal stuff here, but I think you're over-blowing the "Rape U thing" as far as its impact on graduates entering the workforce. I'm an old timer who's been in the workforce for a long time, but my experience is BU is still highly respected as an academic institution, especially in Texas and the Southwest in general. Otherwise, I by and large agree with the rest of your post and as expressed in the OP, I simply can't fathom how anybody, especially the so-called university leaders ever thought any of this was going to be anything but bad for the university both in the short and (especially) the long term.
Chanceux
Johnny Bear said:

Wwbear said:

I know we're talking anecdotal stuff here, but I think you're over-blowing the "Rape U thing" as far as its impact on graduates entering the workforce. I'm an old timer who's been in the workforce for a long time, but my experience is BU is still highly respected as an academic institution, especially in Texas and the Southwest in general. Otherwise, I by and large agree with the rest of your post and as expressed in the OP, I simply can't fathom how anybody, especially the so-called university leaders ever thought any of this was going to be anything but bad for the university both in the short and (especially) the long term.
Yessir. Surely is.

And lemme tell you young'ins that if ANYBODY asks you about the rape stuff in an interview, you go on and head down to the lawyers office post hastily and file suit. They get fired and you get the moneys!
80sBEAR
Chanceux said:

Course if you think about the regents its a mix of lawyers and jimmy swaggarts. What in the heck could go wrong?

Now THAT is funny! And so true.
BellCountyBear
Could someone please post how to contact members of the BOR please? I think someone did that on BaylorFans. It sickens me to think what they have done.
Quinton
You already know the answer to this. Very little positive change came from this. The supporters of the incompetent reaction and then response by the bor would claim we avoided future pain and harm the program was causing. Casualties avoided supposedly. Its not something that can be intelligently argued or supported one way or the other.

But nothing substantially positive came from this. All the other programs will continue to deflect.. evade.. cover-up .. etc. Possibly more so now with the knowledge of what tsunami would come with one confirmed legal conviction. Most programs will double down and will be more careful to use non-school issued equipment. Will probably do meets all in person. Only "positive" thing might be they might suspend more kids earlier in the process that turn out to be clean. I consider that a negative effect.

It will employ more people to go on the "awareness" campaign. They are mainly for PR and rarely if even haven't any viable effect. I don't consider more fluff in our current day as positive though.

BU84BEAR
BellCountyBear said:

Could someone please post how to contact members of the BOR please? I think someone did that on BaylorFans. It sickens me to think what they have done.
http://www.baylor.edu/boardofregents/index.php?id=937638

For the President:

Contact Information

The Office of the President is located in Pat Neff Hall on the Baylor campus in Waco. To contact the President's Office, please use the following address and/or phone number.

Address
Office of the President
Baylor University
One Bear Place #97096
Waco, TX 76798-7096
Phone
Main Office: 254-710-3555
Main Fax: 254-710-3557

All of this information is publicly available on the Baylor website
Health Camper
This is good. It's important for you men to have a good cry.

Maybe some of you can get together later for some HGTV and bonbons.
80sBEAR
Health Camper's nose is as brown as ever, and I promise you it's not chocolate ice cream!!!
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.