Football
Sponsored by

Since most of what I post. . .

7,463 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oldbear83
Dubbicans
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Krieg said:

Dubbicans said:

Krieg said:

FWBear91 said:

Krieg said:

FWBear91 said:

I reject any implication that championship football and a team and coaching staff who don't rape women and get in other legal problems are mutually exclusive.

Excellence on the football field and high moral and Christian character can, believe it or not, exist in the same individual. My hope is that Rhule is recruiting cultivating both in his players and staff.

Do you think a coach can win national titles while following all NCAA rules? YES

Strong Christian character should dictate that they try to follow them all, so do you think that's possible? YES (granted, the rules can be onerous, self-contradictory, unfair, and poorly enforced, but generally speaking, yes, the athletic program should attempt to comply)

Then this is where we disagree. I don't think you can win big in college athletics (at least in football and men's basketball) while also following all the rules. It's never even attempted in reality, and I guarantee you Rhule breaks routes just like Briles did, and just like Teaff did. You don't recruit from nothing to the class we got last year as quickly as we did it without doing something that's over the line.

The thing is, EVERYONE cheats. You have to because the competition is cheating and the NCAA doesn't care about their own rules most of the time.

Adding to the conversation as usual I see.

"merry xmas dick head"

--BealBear
RegentCoverup
80sBEAR said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

80sBEAR said:

34 BOR members and no minorities. Not even a single token black member. The six women are not allowed to speak (not sure if they are allowed to drive or not). As an old balding white man, I think this absolutely sucks!!! It is not 1963 anymore.

The board isn't representative of Baylor University on a multitude of levels.

But that doesn't make it a race issue by default.

If they were doing their jobs I wouldn't care if they were all (insert race).
For the most part, I agree with your post. I would like to see the BOR at least make an attempt to more closely reflect the demographic makeup of the student body.

Like General George Patton once said, "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone is not thinking."
We both agree it needs to change. Here's the problem with using race as a benchmark % for the composition of the board.

Hispanics are grossly underrepresented in higher education and Asians are overrepresented in higher education. Ignore that fundamental fact and you can forget any hope of holding yourself out as 'elite.' Graduate programs in particular lean heavily Asian. Forget society, that's just a fact.
Football is one thing, but it's a characteristic of the university as a whole.

In short, the board isn't representative of it's own purported constituencies, changing the make up by skin color would be a band aid at best..

It needs a serious overhaul, with an attempt to address more than just issues of race.
MilliVanilli
EasyE said:

MilliVanilli said:

Oldbear83 said:

FWBear91 said:

I reject any implication that championship football and a team and coaching staff who don't rape women and get in other legal problems are mutually exclusive.

Excellence on the football field and high moral and Christian character can, believe it or not, exist in the same individual. My hope is that Rhule is recruiting cultivating both in his players and staff.
Remind me again why we lost to Liberty and UTSA, both at home?

A badly coached team gave up more points than it scored.

FIFY
Fan fiction is fun I guess. Gives you something to do.
Cold Bear
Tim.

You are exactly right. That's the mentality that has sustained Baylor and our mediocrity.

Old Bear,

You are also right and funny.
Griffin4Heisman
Guys, we need to get our head out of the sand. As a longtime lurker, I felt the need to chime in.

I expect Matt Rhule to turn this program around within 2-4 more years. But the BOR does not hate football and I can't believe some of you actually think that. Briles and company were fired not because students were raped, but because the rapes were covered up in the name of football. AND Briles brought players in who were known to be dangerous and had prior histories of domestic and sexual violence. That's it, end of story. He was an amazing coach and did great things to build us an awesome football program, but he was a dirty guy. Sexual assaults happen at all campuses, but they aren't covered up for football wins at other campuses and (hopefully) don't become part of the culture of the team.

And side note, even as a huge Baylor supporter for the last 12 years, it's a fact that Art Briles went 3-3 versus Gary Patterson and 4-4 versus UT. We didn't dominate them both like all of us like to believe. To suggest that UT had anything to do with all this is asinine, and makes all of us at Baylor look like idiots.
Branch155
80sBEAR said:

34 BOR members and no minorities.
Then somebody needs to tell Dr. Monroe to start using a sunscreen with higher SPF

PervertedLittleTarts
Bravo as this is an excellent post, Griffin, with the exception of the final sentence. It is an easily documentable fact that this entire uproar was started by--and the flames continually fanned until it gained enough traction to become an international story-- primarily by the Austin media.
RealLarryDon
Then why hasn't the Austin media attacked Fort Worth? They are a bigger threat to the Horns than us and if they continue this year, they are set to make the playoffs before the Horns ever do.
BaylorProud77
Griffin4Heisman said:

Guys, we need to get our head out of the sand. As a longtime lurker, I felt the need to chime in.

I expect Matt Rhule to turn this program around within 2-4 more years. But the BOR does not hate football and I can't believe some of you actually think that. Briles and company were fired not because students were raped, but because the rapes were covered up in the name of football. AND Briles brought players in who were known to be dangerous and had prior histories of domestic and sexual violence. That's it, end of story. He was an amazing coach and did great things to build us an awesome football program, but he was a dirty guy. Sexual assaults happen at all campuses, but they aren't covered up for football wins at other campuses and (hopefully) don't become part of the culture of the team.

And side note, even as a huge Baylor supporter for the last 12 years, it's a fact that Art Briles went 3-3 versus Gary Patterson and 4-4 versus UT. We didn't dominate them both like all of us like to believe. To suggest that UT had anything to do with all this is asinine, and makes all of us at Baylor look like idiots.
Blue star for you! Cue 80's bears. He'll be coming in here to chew our butts out in a minute. lol
PervertedLittleTarts
RealLarryDon said:

Then why hasn't the Austin media attacked Fort Worth? They are a bigger threat to the Horns than us and if they continue this year, they are set to make the playoffs before the Horns ever do.

I imagine if TCU serves up a fat enough pitch just like we did, they will.

But I doubt they presently feel as threatened by TCU as they did us. Remember, we'd just beaten the horns 4 out of 5 years and snatched 2 conference titles, the first of which would have belonged to them had we not beaten them in the final game at the Case in 2013.

Additionally, TCU has all but abandoned their Christian heritage like most major private schools, while Baylor continues to embrace theirs, and that's certainly not a popular stance in Austin.

Regardless, I'm not offering an opinion, but rather fact. If one cared to do the research, they would find that all of the hullabaloo regarding our "scandal" originated with the Austin media, with the liberal wacko Jessica Luther leading the charge.
gsgriffin
Several of the items in the PH report, pouted out explicitly that this was not just a football problem. And that the university as a whole did not properly investigate sexual assault allegations. Why isn't anyone taking any heat for any of those allegations?
PervertedLittleTarts
gsgriffin said:

Several of the items in the PH report, pouted out explicitly that this was not just a football problem. And that the university as a whole did not properly investigate sexual assault allegations. Why isn't anyone taking any heat for any of those allegations?

What are you talking about? We fired the freaking president of the University.
Oldbear83
PervertedLittleTarts said:

gsgriffin said:

What are you talking about? We fired the freaking president of the University.
How many regents resigned?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Cold Bear
Every damn regent should have resigned. No one at Baylor covered up a rape. If anyone had covered up a rape, they would be guilty of obstruction of justice. ONE, COUNT IT, ONE, Art Brile's era football player, has been CONVICTED of rape, and that player is in prison. Matt Rhule is 0-8 and positioned to go down in Baylor lore alongside of Bill Beal and Kevin Steele.
Robemcdo
Our wins equal the actual number of rapes by football players 0/0/0. Interesting
Pablo Fanque
Griffin4Heisman said:

Sexual assaults happen at all campuses, but they aren't covered up for football wins at other campuses and (hopefully) don't become part of the culture of the team.

I believe that this statement is as wrong as can be. I think sexual assaults and all sorts of other criminal acts by athletes happen all the time at all major colleges. Not by a majority of the team, but they happen. And I also believe they are regularly covered up. My suspicion is that every coach has a fixer or two on staff who take care of the dirty laundry. If the player is no good, they get dismissed or the scholarship is not renewed. If they are good, then the acts get brushed under the rug and some sort of internal punishment happens. The bad actor is only publicly disciplined or dismissed if the act is really egregious or gets publicized.

Briles was just doing what everyone else does, but Baylor decided it didn't want to tolerate that. Let's hope that Baylor can have success despite playing a lot cleaner than everyone else. I have my doubts that we can return to the peak of the Briles era success without getting dirty like everyone else.

To those of you who think the only way to win is to cheat (and I may be one of you but I'm a hopeful optimist), the only viable solution for a Christian school is to drop big-time athletics like the University of Chicago did decades ago.
Pablo Fanque
Also, sexual assault beyond athletics is a huge problem at all schools, and most schools have failed to address adequately how to respond to it. The Obama administration's Dear Colleague letter made it worse by imposing unclear standards and unreasonable expectations on schools in order to comply with what it claimed was required by Title IX. Baylor did not do a good job of complying here, but most schools also did not do much better, mainly because compliance was nearly impossible.

If you ask me whether Baylor is safer for young women than other campuses, my answer is yes.
Malbec
Griffin4Heisman said:

Where can I read the details of this?
303Bear
Malbec said:

Griffin4Heisman said:

Where can I read the details of this?
In the Pepper Hamilton written report, it is sandwiched between the section on how to capture unicorns and immediately before a lengthy discussion of the identity of Tupac's killer and the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa.
Malbec
303Bear said:

In the Pepper Hamilton written report, it is sandwiched between the section on how to capture unicorns and immediately before a lengthy discussion of the identity of Tupac's killer and the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa.
They didn't have to tell us where Hoffa was. You could smell his rotting corpse every time you walked past Pat Neff Hall.
Waco1947
Krieg said:

FWBear91 said:

Do you think a coach can win national titles while following all NCAA rules?

Strong Christian character should dictate that they try to follow them all, so do you think that's possible?
Yes BYU is an example
Oldbear83
Malbec said:

303Bear said:

They didn't have to tell us where Hoffa was. You could smell his rotting corpse every time you walked past Pat Neff Hall.
That wasn't Jimmy. There's a guy I knew who thought hygiene was 'bourgeois', and would have nothing to do with soap or shampoo.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.