Football
Sponsored by

Team Meeting Between 3rd and 4th Quarters

10,103 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by historian
IASIP Rocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is one of the better posts I have ever read on this message board. Please post more often. Please tell your roommate that we are proud of him and the team. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go run through a wall...
la1037
Bona Fide Bear said:

timetraveler said:

Matt Rhule has put us in a position to talk about moral victories over West Virginia. I can't think of anyone that has destroyed a program faster.

This team went from contending for B12 championships and potential national championships to losing 6 straight games to end the regular season last year. On top of that, we had some pretty big hits on the recruiting trail at the end of the last staff's tenure. I'm not making excuses for Rhule and this dumpster fire of a season, but this downward spiral started long before Rhule got here.
That's a poor excuse. This is different.
"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
- Chris Holmes, Baylor General Counsel
la1037
Holy cow. Just breezed through page 2. Did I accidentally stumble on to the paid site where players Mom's, coaches wife, and former Baptist preachers pay to hear about how great things really are?

Good grief man. We are 0-7. Our losing streak last year was on the heals of Seth Russell going down and David Harper torpedoing our own team to the WSJ. While we have a slightly above average talent pool we are one of the worst teams in the NCAA. We have 74 players who are 3* or 4* on this team. That is a 100% fact. No denying it. But you excuse makers say you short sleeved messiah inherited the same talent level as Briles. Not even close. And he won 4 games.

I hope and pray this guy shakes off the confusion and figures out that he has to play an offense better suited to the talent on the team. Frankly its terrifying that its taken this long to figure that out.

To those who think my frustration and dissent is a sign of my hate for Baylor - take a hike. Our downward spiral, loss of hundreds of millions and likely loss of P5 D1 status falls at the feet of our BOR. I expect better leadership. Franky if all of you did too, maybe we would get it. If fans accept and applaud below average results then that is exactly what they will get.

Its because of my love for Baylor that I dissent (and its not just here). I would argue if you really loved Baylor and understood this situation and how to fix it you would join me (which many have). But to each his own. Judge my intentions without understanding and you will receive the same.

But lets get something very clear, because Rhule alluded to this in his press conference last week. This is NOT a lack of support for the players. I am 100% on board with them. I think they deserve better. I was at the game cheering until the bitter end - for the players. Those guys have my 100% respect.
"We are unaware of any situation where you personally had contact with anyone who directly reported to you being the victim of sexual assault or that you directly discouraged the victim of an alleged sexual assault from reporting to law enforcement or university officials. Nor are we aware of any situation where you played a student athlete who had been found responsible for sexual assault.”
MilliVanilli
Forest Bueller said:

MilliVanilli said:

timetraveler said:

Matt Rhule has put us in a position to talk about moral victories over West Virginia. I can't think of anyone that has destroyed a program faster.
Art Briles, the answer you're looking for is Art Briles destroyed a program.
It's obvious there's a BUNCH of Briles haters on here, just the fact you got lots of rep for this, but how could Briles destroy a program, when he is the only reason there WAS a winning program.

The Universities lack of properly handling assault claims, opened the door for outside sources to paint a narrative that BU was worse than others schools, they aren't. But, once the media glued to this narrative it was over.

Hate Briles all you want, he is the only coach we've had since Grant that would have kept BU out of the MWC.

Now he is gone, within a decade we will be in the MWC or worse.
The fact he destroyed himself speaks for itself, if he we an ethical man he'd still be coach with an intact program.
YoakDaddy
MilliVanilli said:

Forest Bueller said:

MilliVanilli said:

timetraveler said:

It's obvious there's a BUNCH of Briles haters on here, just the fact you got lots of rep for this, but how could Briles destroy a program, when he is the only reason there WAS a winning program.

The Universities lack of properly handling assault claims, opened the door for outside sources to paint a narrative that BU was worse than others schools, they aren't. But, once the media glued to this narrative it was over.

Hate Briles all you want, he is the only coach we've had since Grant that would have kept BU out of the MWC.

The fact he destroyed himself speaks for itself, if he we an ethical man he'd still be coach with an intact program.

The fact the BOFR didn't fire him with cause speaks loudly, too.
Mothra
Forest Bueller said:

MilliVanilli said:

timetraveler said:

Yup. We have a lot of fans who lack perspective or worse yet are delusional. They're bitter over silly things like losses in the Fiesta Bowl, while failing to recognize the unprecedented success Briles brought us. If not for him, more than likely we'd still be wandering in the wilderness or at the very least wouldn't have had the opportunity to complain about Fiesta Bowl losses. Despite all that happened at the end of his tenure, he left us in much better shape than he found us.
WimboBear
This is first post for me on the free boards - long time bearscoop then 24/7 now sicem365 subscriber. I was never on baylorfans, but do enjoy reading these posts after the merger for full range of perspective and opinions. I live in Atlanta so stuck in SEC country last 18 years and my wife big Alabama fan from her extended family. In our family the girls cheer for Bama and boys root for Baylor. For many years my wife would remind us how Bama plays "big boy football" and still amazing that Briles brought us from the cellar to complete respect as a borderline national power. My wife's first game in McLane she asked "now how many fans does this stadium hold?" and the response was "Well they do make them bigger..."

Point being, I am very familiar with Bama fans and their all or nothing mindset and I think it is funny that for whatever reason the free board has so many more debbie downers who are so black and white about winning and losing with no longer term perspective - majority of bama fans think this way from my observation, but I give them a pass because they have more national titles than everyone else.

The post by ONelson is excellent and someone should read that to the team because I would bet it is the way the majority of Baylor fans feel. The Oklahoma and West VA games also some of the most fun I have had watching a Baylor game with my boys complete excitement and such fight in this team. I was at Duke game and that was complete buzz kill. The future is a mystery so just enjoy the ride. If we somehow end up 3 and 9 with wins over Texas, TCU and Kansas it would be one of the greatest Baylor seasons ever in my mind. Forget the mushy middle and embrace that we suck it's like the NBA either be really good or really bad and really bad beating our rivals is so sweet. I would say 2 and 10 but feel a loss to Kansas will set our recruiting back. The thought of being 0 and 7 and beating Texas is wonderful and could very well happen on Saturday. Then playing TCU when they have a shot at the playoffs with the chance to beat them would set up for one of the great baylor spoiler victories of all time. We have all that in front of us. Sit back and cheer on the team and believe the impossible just for a minute. If we go 0 - 12 that will be horrible and really rough on recruiting but again amazed that so many on this board know the future and how "Jersey" will end up as a coach. As a side note I do want Jersey to play Blake Lynch at receiver.

And if we do go 0-12 please switch gears to basketball and appreciate how awesome coach Drew is to have us year after year in the tournament. Sic em Bears!
MommaBear
I think what happened at the end of the 3rd quarter, was that this team showed absolute heart. The fans that stayed to cheer during that 4th quarter where we completely shut out West Virginia saw a huge spark as well. Those guys could have easily given up all hope and stop trying, but they didn't.

My kids were never big into sports. They were in the band, school plays, Academic Decathalon, etc. The one thing they share with every athlete is the pride in having their parents attend their events and support them. I can't even imagine how heart-broken my kids would be to see me walk out half-way through their concert because I wasn't happy with the song. Leaving games early is not exclusive to Baylor. TCU fans rarely come back after half-time, unless they're playing Baylor. I just wish more of our fans would commit to staying for the entire game. When my daughter was a Freshman back in 2009, she was in BUGWB and we bought our first season passes. To support our daughter and the team, we were inside Floyd Casey until the last note of the last song was played. Outside of BUGWB and the BUGWB parents, there were MAYBE 200 people left at the end of the games, so we've come a long way since then.

Please don't give up on these young guys just as they are finally figuring things out.
MilliVanilli
YoakDaddy said:

MilliVanilli said:

Forest Bueller said:

MilliVanilli said:

timetraveler said:

What ever fan fiction you need to harbor in order to cope.
ColomboLQ
WimboBear said:

This is first post for me on the free boards - long time bearscoop then 24/7 now sicem365 subscriber. I was never on baylorfans, but do enjoy reading these posts after the merger for full range of perspective and opinions. I live in Atlanta so stuck in SEC country last 18 years and my wife big Alabama fan from her extended family. In our family the girls cheer for Bama and boys root for Baylor. For many years my wife would remind us how Bama plays "big boy football" and still amazing that Briles brought us from the cellar to complete respect as a borderline national power. My wife's first game in McLane she asked "now how many fans does this stadium hold?" and the response was "Well they do make them bigger..."

Point being, I am very familiar with Bama fans and their all or nothing mindset and I think it is funny that for whatever reason the free board has so many more debbie downers who are so black and white about winning and losing with no longer term perspective - majority of bama fans think this way from my observation, but I give them a pass because they have more national titles than everyone else.

The post by ONelson is excellent and someone should read that to the team because I would bet it is the way the majority of Baylor fans feel. The Oklahoma and West VA games also some of the most fun I have had watching a Baylor game with my boys complete excitement and such fight in this team. I was at Duke game and that was complete buzz kill. The future is a mystery so just enjoy the ride. If we somehow end up 3 and 9 with wins over Texas, TCU and Kansas it would be one of the greatest Baylor seasons ever in my mind. Forget the mushy middle and embrace that we suck it's like the NBA either be really good or really bad and really bad beating our rivals is so sweet. I would say 2 and 10 but feel a loss to Kansas will set our recruiting back. The thought of being 0 and 7 and beating Texas is wonderful and could very well happen on Saturday. Then playing TCU when they have a shot at the playoffs with the chance to beat them would set up for one of the great baylor spoiler victories of all time. We have all that in front of us. Sit back and cheer on the team and believe the impossible just for a minute. If we go 0 - 12 that will be horrible and really rough on recruiting but again amazed that so many on this board know the future and how "Jersey" will end up as a coach. As a side note I do want Jersey to play Blake Lynch at receiver.

And if we do go 0-12 please switch gears to basketball and appreciate how awesome coach Drew is to have us year after year in the tournament. Sic em Bears!
There are parts of your post I don't agree with, but this highlighted part is really REALLY bad......
303Bear
Being disheartened by an 0-7 record is a far cry from being disenfranchised because we do not have a shot at a national title.

As mentioned, this team has fight, and has shown several times that it is capable of a (much) better record than it has. It is sad for the players who do show up and give their all that in before and during every game certain coaching decisions have been made which makes winning more difficult.

It is sad that any fan would consider a 3-9 season a success, let alone one of the most successful seasons in this programs history when it has multiple of each SWC and Big 12 championship seasons, births in the Cotton bowl and wins against some great teams in its history.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Please don't give up on these young guys just as they are finally figuring things out.
Its not the young guys between the sidelines I'm worried about having things figured out. Its the older guys who are getting paid that are the focus of my concern.
Illigitimus non carborundum
WimboBear
ColomboLQ said:

WimboBear said:

There are parts of your post I don't agree with, but this highlighted part is really REALLY bad......

ok, maybe I should say an excellent season. I despise TCU and Texas that much far over any other teams in big12. For me 3-9 after we've lost 13 regular season games in a row and we beat Texas and TCU would be better than the 5-6 or 6-5 historical average in history of Baylor football. Those two wins would make it a great season in my mind, especially if we knock tcu out of playoffs for second time in 4 years. I get it most people on this board think we have no shot vs tcu but I'm saying get excited go support the team and enjoy the rest of the season!
Sip 'em Beers
MilliVanilli said:

YoakDaddy said:

MilliVanilli said:

Forest Bueller said:

MilliVanilli said:

timetraveler said:

Which part is fan fiction? That the bor didn't fire CAB for cause or that this speaks loudly about what went down?

Louisville fired Pitino and Jurich for cause, USC fired Sark for cause, and tech pulled sovereign immunity on Leach. The bor paid CAB a lot of $$$ and did not fire him for cause because 1) he didn't do anything sufficient to give them cause, 2) the bor was similarly culpable, and/or 3) the bor is ******ed. Imo it's most likely all three but it is, of course, not possible to say for sure thanks to the bor coverup.
Private Pyle
WimboBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

WimboBear said:

ok, maybe I should say an excellent season. I despise TCU and Texas that much far over any other teams in big12. For me 3-9 after we've lost 13 regular season games in a row and we beat Texas and TCU would be better than the 5-6 or 6-5 historical average in history of Baylor football. Those two wins would make it a great season in my mind, especially if we knock tcu out of playoffs for second time in 4 years. I get it most people on this board think we have no shot vs tcu but I'm saying get excited go support the team and enjoy the rest of the season!
If I win the lottery, I will consider that a success as well
Forest Bueller
WimboBear said:

Good overall post, but TCU ain't happening. Not this year anyway.

I think 3-9 would be wins over UT, KU, and Tech.
By the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved.
ColomboLQ
WimboBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

WimboBear said:

I'm sorry but there is nothing "great" or "excellent" about going 3-9, no matter who we beat.
WimboBear
ColomboLQ said:

WimboBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

I'm sorry but there is nothing "great" or "excellent" about going 3-9, no matter who we beat.
your response is exactly why I posted in the first place. The inability to see the greatness of beating TCU in one of their best seasons and our worst and the momentum that would give our program plus the satisfaction for all Baylor fans is strange to me. Everyone is so black and white Rhule sucks because he lost to Liberty. This program is a train wreck if we go 2 -10. I can assure you no one really cares in college football for teams between 2 -10 and 5-7. They are pretty much all the same - no one remembers except the fans for each school and maybe save a few die-hard college football fans. Saban lost to Louisiana Monroe his first year at Alabama and given it is Alabama that is on par with us losing to Liberty. I do not know what is going to happen with Rhule in year 3 and 4, but I do know I am getting pumped up for the Toilet Bowl vs Kansas. 0-12 will be rough on recruiting and not good and only beating Kansas at 1-11 also trouble but beating TCU with 2 or 3 wins in total absolute excellence! you need to get a little more passion for a rivalry...
303Bear
WimboBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

WimboBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

your response is exactly why I posted in the first place. The inability to see the greatness of beating TCU in one of their best seasons and our worst and the momentum that would give our program plus the satisfaction for all Baylor fans is strange to me. Everyone is so black and white Rhule sucks because he lost to Liberty. This program is a train wreck if we go 2 -10. I can assure you no one really cares in college football for teams between 2 -10 and 5-7. They are pretty much all the same - no one remembers except the fans for each school and maybe save a few die-hard college football fans. Saban lost to Louisiana Monroe his first year at Alabama and given it is Alabama that is on par with us losing to Liberty. I do not know what is going to happen with Rhule in year 3 and 4, but I do know I am getting pumped up for the Toilet Bowl vs Kansas. 0-12 will be rough on recruiting and not good and only beating Kansas at 1-11 also trouble but beating TCU with 2 or 3 wins in total absolute excellence! you need to get a little more passion for a rivalry...
Sigh...

Beating TCU would be a great moment in an otherwise miserable season. It would not make this a great season. Being pumped for a rivalry has no impact on how many point TCU is likely to hang on us.

People who are down on Rhule (myself included) are down on him because of the consistent failure to make adjustments or shift a game plan until it is too late. I am down on Rhule because he talks too much before the game, and appears to be setting up his excuses for a loss the Wednesday before. I am down on Rhule because his insistence on "toughness" has not translated at all onto the field. We are consistently overmatched and out coached.

With respect to your Alabama statement. Losing to LA Monroe is not, and will never be akin to losing to Liberty. LA Monroe was 6-6 (not invited to a bowl) the year they beat 'Bama, Liberty will likely finish the year with a losing record in FCS. And lets not act like Bama was a great team immediately before Saban was hired.
ColomboLQ
WimboBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

WimboBear said:

ColomboLQ said:

You talk about black and white thinking yet if I don't think 3-9 is excellent, I must be saying the season is a train wreck. Sounds pretty black and white to me from your end.

Excellence: the quality of being outstanding or extremely good.

And by definition, being 3-9 CAN'T be excellent.
MilliVanilli
Sip 'em Beers said:

MilliVanilli said:

YoakDaddy said:

MilliVanilli said:

Forest Bueller said:

MilliVanilli said:

timetraveler said:

Which part is fan fiction? That the bor didn't fire CAB for cause or that this speaks loudly about what went down?

Louisville fired Pitino and Jurich for cause, USC fired Sark for cause, and tech pulled sovereign immunity on Leach. The bor paid CAB a lot of $$$ and did not fire him for cause because 1) he didn't do anything sufficient to give them cause, 2) the bor was similarly culpable, and/or 3) the bor is ******ed. Imo it's most likely all three but it is, of course, not possible to say for sure thanks to the bor coverup.
Didn't read the rant, it's cute you felt compelled to write one though...actually it's just boring at this point.
McCavebear
GoldenBear007 said:

If Brewer starts this weekend, baylor beats UT. Book it.
. I hope to high heaven you're right. We need a win bad.
McCavebear Lives!
McCavebear
GoldenBear007 said:

McCavebear Lives!
Pale Rider
What McCaveBear said twice.
Private Pyle
Goldenshower,

Does Brewer have to start or can he come in the 1st quarter and we would still win? I'm looking for some betting advice here.
RioRata
Pale Rider said:

MommaBear said:

I know that many of us are lamenting over the great seasons we had with Briles. Rhule had absolutely NOTHING to do with the mess that he inherited. Ten months ago, we had an incoming recruiting class of ONE! Anyone else remember that? Within a month of coming to Waco, Rhule had to put together a complete new staff and try to recruit some good guys who also happen to be good at football. Now, I like winning just as much as the next guy, but I figured if we won 3 to 5 games this year I'd be happy. We lost a lot of good players to other schools when the **** really started to hit the fan. Again, NONE of that mess was because of Rhule. It sure sucks having lost 7 straight games right now, but I think we've seen things starting to pull together. Rome wasn't built overnight, and a winning team at Baylor won't happen overnight either.

Sorry, but I'm not willing to throw in the towel yet on this young team and our new coaching staff. Didn't Briles only win 3 or 4 games his first year? Have any of our current players been arrested or gotten into trouble this year? None that I've heard of. Has Rhule belittled any players in his post-game presser? Not that I know of. This is an extremely young team with a complete new staff. The constant calls to fire Rhule sound pretty much like the entitled Longhorns who wanted to fire Charlie Strong within a month. I would much rather EARN our wins, than feel entitled to them.

There were probably only 10 people left in our section by the end of the game. Most of them left during the 3rd quarter. I had no voice by the end of the game because I had to out-scream the two WVU fans sitting next to me that were half my age!!! Try to imagine just one of those young men on the field as being YOUR son. How heart-broken would he be to look up during the 3rd quarter to see you walking out on him because you didn't have any faith in him. If you go to a home game, PLEASE support these guys and stay until the bitter end. That 4th quarter was so exciting.
Great post MommaBear. Would all our fans take a lesson from you.

God bless.
PR

Which parent walked out on their son. This person should be thrashed.
Pale Rider
I think Momma is saying imagine if they did.
RioRata
Pale Rider said:

I think Momma is saying imagine if they did.

Ok. I'll put the pitchfork and noose away for now but I'm still giving this hypothetical parent and imaginary thrashing.
la1037
McCavebear said:

GoldenBear007 said:

If Brewer starting would make us win count on Rhule to start Smith. The guy zigs when he should zag. Its almost like a bad dream watching him coach.
RioRata
Bear with me... said:

MilliVanilli said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

While true it's gotten worse since he's been in charge. You admit as much. Losses to Liberty and UTSA are inexcusable.

Let's hope we see some improvement moving forward
I agree wholeheartedly about the first two losses. Neither should have ever happened.

But we've been far more competitive in Big 12 play this season than we were to end the 2016 season with a far less seasoned -- and in the case of our offensive line and defensive secondary, talented -- roster. Because of the bowl win, which was an oasis in the desert on several levels, people tend to forget just how hopeless Baylor football games felt from the Texas game on in 2016. Most couldn't wait for the season to end.

We've been a bad football team for quite a while now, and as pointed out above, that didn't start with Matt Rhule's tenure. Now it's Rhule's job to fix it, and no one's going to feel sorry for him while he does it. But it's going to take more time than most here have afforded him to clean up the mess he inherited.
You're wasting your breath trying to explain nuance to some of these people, they have convinced themselves Rhule inherited a Ferrari, and that the o-line is experienced and talented instead of depleted and enduring a severe learning curve.

They also pretend winning the Cactus Bowl is enough to ignore the fact that Baylor hasn't beaten a P5 team since KU on October 15th, 2016.

Rhule did inherit a Ferrari. It just looked like this...

That Rhule and his damned Oklahoma Drill.
historian
ONelson15 said:

I don't post here very much at all, mostly because if I did, it would probably end up in an argument with someone which is about the lowest level on the childish scale you can go on the internet. But I wanted to say that everyone who criticizes this team and coaching staff for this year's performance are getting really old to listen to. I don't know if you guys are Baylor alums, people from Waco who are fans, or fans of other teams who can only find meaning in there life if it involves trying to dampen someone else's day, which I hope are the latter because if not you "real" Baylor fans really should just live your lives doing something else and go support another team. If you really have pride in your school and team, then try and enjoy the game.
I work every weekend so that I can help pay to go to Baylor, which I think is best choice I have ever made. While I was at working, every second I got a chance to watch the game (I work at a restaurant) I was following the game, and when we were down in the 3rd quarter I can't lie and say I wasn't sad or upset, that would be a lie, but I was however never DISAPPOINTED. Do you realize what this football team has gone through and what it continues to go through? My roommate who is on the team, is the person I always talk to about the game's and practice and locker room stuff, and he said that for the first time since May of 2016, this game the football team was having fun. They were down by lets just say TOO MUCH, and even then they didn't stop fighting to try and come back and win, and if you can't appreciate the effort and perseverance that the players leave out on the field every game, then find another hobby. These 18-23+ (gotta include Kyle Boyd) have gone through hell for Baylor University and its fans, and continue to do as much as they can to give Baylor a good reputation.
Yes, we are 0-7 I hate it as much as anyone, but it doesn't help to just talk poorly about the coaches and players all the time, because there will come a time when the football team won't want to play for the fans anymore and that is when Baylor football will die.

Lets just take a quick look at the positives from this season so far and I won't be biased

Positives
1. Baylor has finally found its way out of its big scandal, and is actually getting some good publicity for the first time in awhile.
2. Every single game (excluding OSU) Baylor has been in the game till the end, and very important that we do not, and have not let anyone come into our home and run over us, we have pride which we had lost at the end of last season (bad losses to KSU, TCU at home)
3. Our recruits who are not necessarily big names in any way have really shown maturity, and grit. These young men had nothing to do with the scandal, and yet are willing to put their names on the line for Baylor and are clearly doing there best to change the future.
4. Our recruits are talented. Against West Virginia all touchdowns were scored by TRUE freshmen. Ebner was incredible (3 TDs), Brewer in a big moment stepped in and showed the WVU defense that he would not back down and led an unimaginable comeback, Lovett has been producing all year and obviously shown what Rhule and staff saw in him. We had Lynch get his first sack, and a big one which gave Baylor momentum, but offense couldn't produce from it, we have Newman, Miller on the O-line doing about as good as anyone else on the line, Galvin Holmes went for a very long reception as well as he had a big reception on one of the 4th quarter drives. Harrison Hand has been given the task of guarding week in and week out, some of the best receivers in the country, and while he has been badly burned he has also shown signs that with development and experience he can really be an asset to the Baylor defense (he obviously isn't too bad if he starts over so many other guys).
5. We have coaches that can really attract recruits, and if it wasn't for the 0-7 season, we would already have our full 2018 class committed.
6. Next year we have some serious transfers getting on the field Lockhart, Fruhmorgen, Hurd, and Beard (I have been told by other players and my roommate that Beard will be a great addition to the line.
7. Football is a minor aspect of ones life, and whether Baylor is the worst team in the country or the best team in the country, life will continue like it always has.

Negatives

1. Coaches have shown many signs of confusion during games both in how they handle scheme and personnel
2. Players have been injured all season, this may be a result of poor S&C, misused drills who knows but it is a problem and the coaches need to fix it
3. Not ALL players have bought into the Rhule philosophy
4. We are young, and some key leaders may be gone after the year (transfer, graduates, retirees)
5. The football team does not get the support it warrants (fans need to be at every game supporting regardless of record)
6. Since Baylor has been so good in recent years, the fans and mostly the new fans have become accustomed to winning and think losing is the end of the program, and the older fans think that winning was just a fluke and that only the great Art Briles knows how to win in Waco. But it was never promised that Baylor was going to be great right away. It was in everyone head that Baylor should be good because we have been. But look at Texas they have had the losing struggle for longer than we have in recent years but there is hope for the program and it is the same hope that Baylor has, but unfortunately we get 12 weeks out of the years to show the results of training and practicing from 8 months under the new coaches. If there is anyone out there that thinks they can come into a program that was so good, had such a big scandal, lost an amazing recruiting class, lost a lot of the fan base, turned over the entire football program, had very key players leave for draft early, and come in and fix the public image (Rhule did that, everyone he speaks to seems to love him), help the players develop on and off the field (Rhule did that too), Bring in a very solid recruiting class from what this season has shown in under 2 months (Rhule again), and put out a team every week that is injury depleted and come up barely short against top 25 teams in the nation (don't tell me we lost to Liberty, I know we did) then please sign up for the job, I will be as excited for you as I am for Rhule.

Our coaches have answered every challenge thrown at them perfectly so far except for winning games. I would much rather see a team that has good fundamentals and a good base which will lead to consistency in the program and success in the long run, then have a team go 9-3 this year, but have a team come out next year and not show signs of development or progress. I really hope that everyone can just sit back and accept that this season isn't going to end well in terms of our record. But when you watch a game like the one on Saturday night and see the intensity that Brewer had in the fourth quarter diving for first downs, trucking their defense, and showing great poise, the excitement of the bench when Baylor was rolling and see all the players really getting into the game, and see Baylor defense go hard every down and getting crucial stops in the fourth quarter after being picked apart the previous quarter. It is watching the sadness in the players eye's after the game because they truly wanted to win for everyone watching that game. I think it is an incredible thing to watch, because when it is all said and done, the men on the team now, both coaches and players, will one day be in the Baylor record book for having both one of the worst season in Baylor history but also for showing the courage and tenacity to fight and not give up and one day be at the top again.

In short, those of you who read this far (if anyone did) enjoy our team! They play exciting, heart-wrenching, annoying football games. If you can seriously say that you are not proud of the progress and the way the team has grown this year than I feel sorry for you, because you clearly cannot see some of the beautiful aspects of sports.

This Saturday for the first time since UTSA, I will be at McLane for the game and I can't count down the hours any faster till the kickoff, because I know that win or lose, blow out or not, I can happily cheer for my fellow Baylor Bears.
Excellent post!! Please tell your roommate that there are many of us out here who do support the team. And some of us do stay until the end.

Like the OU game, I was so gratified when the fans gave the team a standing ovation at the end of Saturday's game. They had earned it.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think your meaning was pretty clear and I agree wholeheartedly. It's nice to see some positive attitudes in Baylor fandom (kudos to Nelson & Mommabear!!) despite the doldrums of our current record and the excessive negativity of some people who post here.

I will wake up early in the a.m. and drive to Waco so I can support my team and (hopefully) watch them beat Texas!! I know we have the talent. If Zach plays the way he did in the bowl game or the Oklahoma game or if Charlie plays like he did last week in the 4th quarter, we should have a real shot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.