Football
Sponsored by

Baylor may not lose much ground. Tom Herman appears to be a white Charlie Strong

4,727 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by settegast
PrideBU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm feeling a little better about the win yesterday.

Brewer is legit and for once it seemed like a college team out there.

The Big 12 is going to be interesting going forward. I don't see Campbell staying at ISU and Herman is not showing a lot with a much more talented roster than Rhule inherited. If Rhule had beaten UTSA and Liberty, Texas would barely be above Baylor in the standings.

Both Strong and Herman have had Top 10 classes, but... Wow... neither of them can seem to field a complete team. Someone on here showed how similar their backgrounds are, and I think its becoming clear that Texas just fired one side of the coin and have now gotten 'tails.

It's awesome watching their post game press conferences now. Herman is squirming and stumbling over his words in his throaty voice.

I'll bet Rhule wins more than Herman in Year 2, with Charlie a mature true Soph.
BUBear24
PrideBU said:

The Big 12 is going to be interesting going forward. I don't see Campbell staying at ISU and Herman is not showing a lot with a much more talented roster than Rhule inherited. If Rhule had beaten UTSA and Liberty, Texas would barely be above Baylor in the standings.

Both Strong and Herman have had Top 10 classes, but... Wow... neither of them can seem to field a complete team. Someone on here showed how similar their backgrounds are, and I think its becoming clear that Texas just fired one side of the coin and have now gotten 'tails.

It's awesome watching their post game press conferences now. Herman is squirming and stumbling over his words in his throaty voice.

I'll bet Rhule wins more than Herman in Year 2, with Charlie a mature true Soph.
Yes I agree. I live in Austin. Awesome to have watched here all the Whorns who thought Herman was the 2nd coming of Saban/Meyer and now realizing he may have been a one trick pony.. He's still going to be a good coach, but I'm not sure he'll transcend to that next level of greatness like so many people thought.
timetraveler
Rhule lost to Liberty and UTSA. He isn't going to win more than 3 games next year. He is a horrible coach.
MilliVanilli
timetraveler said:

Rhule lost to Liberty and UTSA. He isn't going to win more than 3 games next year. He is a horrible coach.
Thanks, Art.
EvilTroyAndAbed
I'd hold off on that. I may be wrong, but I think he's going to be good. He's probably going to have a top 10 class, and if they can find a QB, they're going to be tough. Their defense already is.

I hope I'm wrong.
MilliVanilli
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

I'd hold off on that. I may be wrong, but I think he's going to be good. He's probably going to have a top 10 class, and if they can find a QB, they're going to be tough. Their defense already is.

I hope I'm wrong.
Hasn't that been the UT narrative ever since Colt McCoy graduated?
boognish_bear
I suspect Tom Herman has a high ceiling...but he's still a pretty unknown quantity right now. Before coming to UT he had only been a HC for 2 years. He took over a UH team that had gone 8-5 its previous 2 seasons. So he wasn't walking into a bad situation.

His first year was damn good going 13-1 with a Peach Bowl win over FSU. But then they took a step back last year going 9-3.

That first season he was obviously winning with the recruits he inherited. He hasn't been anywhere long enough to really get a true feel for what he brings as a HC. Kind of like Lincoln Riley right now. Time will tell.
Dman
Too early to predict success or failure for either coach beyond this one year. This year alone...both would be failures. Misery loves company. If we are having a bad year...helps a little more knowing UT is as well, and they don't have half the excuses.
Quicksilver
PrideBU said:

Pretty sure they would still be exactly as they are today.
LIB,MR BEARS
timetraveler said:

You have a full year to look for a great crow recipe. When you find it, be sure to share it.
LIB,MR BEARS
Herman brought his own hardship with him; a mouthy wife with a Twitter account.

I suspect she will tone it down when things are good but when the questions get tough, not a chance.

As long as she is spouting off, he will never live up to his potential. Gouding her into over-reacting will become sport around Austin talk radio.
PartyBear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

timetraveler said:

You have a full year to look for a great crow recipe. When you find it, be sure to share it.

It's Rhule's job to serve crow. I hope he is competent to do that.
Quinton
Herman's defense has gotten much more consistent than Charlie's..and this is just year one. His offense is terrible without a dynamic qb. So they look better to me but still very mediocre
dr_marvin
This post is kind of laughable. I dislike the Horns more than anyone, but they are going to be really good under Herman. They have the best defense in the Big 12 and they have a multitude of injuries on offense (a patchwork offensive line similar to BU) that is holding them back.

They lost to USC by a FG, to Okie St. by a FG, and OU by 5 points, defeated a pretty good K-State team, and won at Iowa St. With a healthy OL next year and a healthy Sam or new QB, they are going to be very good team unfortunately.
MilliVanilli
dr_marvin said:

This post is kind of laughable. I dislike the Horns more than anyone, but they are going to be really good under Herman. They have the best defense in the Big 12 and they have a multitude of injuries on offense (a patchwork offensive line similar to BU) that is holding them back.

They lost to USC by a FG, to Okie St. by a FG, and OU by 5 points, defeated a pretty good K-State team, and won at Iowa St. With a healthy OL next year and a healthy Sam or new QB, they are going to be very good team unfortunately.
Good to know Baylor's close calls with OU and WVU must mean we're going to be good once we aren't banged up and no longer have a patchwork OL..
dr_marvin
MilliVanilli said:

dr_marvin said:

Good to know Baylor's close calls with OU and WVU must mean we're going to be good once we aren't banged up and no longer have a patchwork OL..

I must have missed where I even remotely discussed anything BU related in that post.
MilliVanilli
dr_marvin said:

MilliVanilli said:

dr_marvin said:

I must have missed where I even remotely discussed anything BU related in that post.
It's just that if your standard for UT is true then Baylor must be on the brink of greatness itself.
historian
It's foolish to judged any HC based upon only one year on the job. Right now, the record of Rhule, et al is terrible but they came into a bad situation and practically had to build from scratch. Remember: we had one recruit when the new coaches came in.

That said, some of the play calling and other decisions leads to the conclusion that they don't know enough about offense. Yesterday's win may help to dispel some of those concerns but it was against Kansas (probably a stouter team than Liberty or UTSA but hardly a tough opponent). Time will tell. If the team can build upon what they accomplished this time and it leads to more wins--starting Saturday in Arlington--then we will see some promise of a brighter future.

I'm very discouraged with this season, like most Baylor fans, but I'm still in "wait and see" mode. One really positive note for 2018 & 2019: our young players now going through all these trials are gaining real experience and growing from game to game, often showing flashes of brilliance. We have every reason to expect much more from them in the future. We shall see.
dr_marvin
MilliVanilli said:

dr_marvin said:

MilliVanilli said:

dr_marvin said:

It's just that if your standard for UT is true then Baylor must be on the brink of greatness itself.

I didn't realize BU had the best defense in the Big 12.
MilliVanilli
dr_marvin said:

MilliVanilli said:

dr_marvin said:

MilliVanilli said:

dr_marvin said:

I didn't realize BU had the best defense in the Big 12.
Almost wins and injuries are part of your excuses for UT, Baylor has had both in spades.
YoakDaddy
MilliVanilli said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

I hope I'm wrong.
Hasn't that been the UT narrative ever since Colt McCoy graduated?

Pretty much. Mack Brown used the "young team" excuse for his last 4 years. Then Chollie used the "young team" excuse because he ran off Brown's lazy players. Herman is going thru his cycle of excuses.
SicThe12
What does race have to do with this?
LIB,MR BEARS
SicThe12 said:

What does race have to do with this?
Punctuation and capitalization can be powerful tools. They can be the difference between brown players and Brown's players. It can also be the difference in "Help Jack off the horse" or "Help jack off the horse."
Media Bear
dr_marvin said:

Without a decent QB -- and nothing like that exists on UT's roster at the moment -- Texas will be stuck in .500redsville ...

Which is fine by me.

Now -- If only WE could beat a .500redsville team ...
Hee-hee, hee. Hee-hee, hee. Woo! -- Michael Jackson
A buppa-ba-ba, buppa-buppa-ba. -- Paula Abdul
Say yah-yah-yah. -- John Mellencamp
Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. -- Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones
De do-do-do. De da-da-da. Is all I want to say to you. -- Sting (Gordon Sumner)/The Police
Ramidi ma-ma ba-di-ma, ramidi ma-ma ba-din-doe. -- David Draiman/Disturbed
C-c-c-c-come on. -- George Michael
People on streets, ee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da -- Freddie Mercury
BaylorProud77
Compounding said:

Herman's defense has gotten much more consistent than Charlie's..and this is just year one. His offense is terrible without a dynamic qb. So they look better to me but still very mediocre
that Ehlinger is going to be good Sorry, I know I spelled his name wrong. Our Brewer is good
Golden Helmet
A mouthy wife won't let him live up to his potential???

That's rich
Bearster
Jeez, Milli...I thought you'd tone it down after the admins put you in timeout. You're still spouting off like an a$$ though. At no point did any of this conversation become personal until you started posting. A healthy conversation about the pro/con of Rhule vs Herman is a worthwhile conversation. Keep the personal crap out of it.
historian
I think Herman's biggest problem may be Strong's as well: they had the misfortune of coaching at Texas, a toxic atmosphere.
Quinton
BaylorProud77 said:

Compounding said:

that Ehlinger is going to be good Sorry, I know I spelled his name wrong. Our Brewer is good

Im not sure about it. But even if he will be, he's already been concussed multiple times. Will be very hard to stay healthy.
MilliVanilli
Bearster said:

Jeez, Milli...I thought you'd tone it down after the admins put you in timeout. You're still spouting off like an a$$ though. At no point did any of this conversation become personal until you started posting. A healthy conversation about the pro/con of Rhule vs Herman is a worthwhile conversation. Keep the personal crap out of it.
What exactly are you triggered by, show us where the posts hurt you.
bobo
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

I hope I'm wrong.
Top 10 in the big 12?

Edit reading compression on my part.
Everything is racist
Mitch Blood Green
MilliVanilli said:

timetraveler said:

Thanks, Art.

Yeah. That bum gave us two conference championships and put us on the map.

I'm excited about moral victories and pickle juice like it used to be.
Bear8084
tommie said:

MilliVanilli said:

timetraveler said:

Thanks, Art.

Yeah. That's bum gave us two conference championships and put us on the map.

You're right, Briles did do great things here. He also got himself a surprise unwanted early retirement.

Rhule does derserve some of the criticism, but a win is a win and we looked good doing it. Enjoy it and hope we can build from it.
Mitch Blood Green
Bear8084 said:

tommie said:

MilliVanilli said:

timetraveler said:

Thanks, Art.

Yeah. That's bum gave us two conference championships and put us on the map.

You're right, Briles did do great things here. He also got himself a surprise unwanted early retirement.

Rhule does derserve some of the criticism, but a win is a win and we looked good doing it. Enjoy it and hope we can build from it.

He deserves every bit of criticism that he's earned. Same for Briles.

My grade on Rhule is "wait and see" but there are some things that have me concerned. One of them is the S&C program. Our stamina appears to be way down from previous years.

greatdivide
So Texas is not back?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.