Story Poster

Memorial Day 2023: Citation of 1st Lt. Jack Lummus, a Baylor All-American

May 29, 2023

In honor of the former Baylor Bear two-sport star, SicEm365 presents the read citation of Medal of Honor and Purple Heart recipient Jack Lummus.

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as leader of a Rifle Platoon attached to the 2d Battalion, 27th Marines, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands, 8 March 1945. Resuming his assault tactics with bold decision after fighting without respite for 2 days and nights, 1st Lt. Lummus slowly advanced his platoon against an enemy deeply entrenched in a network of mutually supporting positions. Suddenly halted by a terrific concentration of hostile fire, he unhesitatingly moved forward of his front lines in an effort to neutralize the Japanese position. Although knocked to the ground when an enemy grenade exploded close by, he immediately recovered himself and, again moving forward despite the intensified barrage, quickly located, attacked, and destroyed the occupied emplacement. Instantly taken under fire by the garrison of a supporting pillbox and further assailed by the slashing fury of hostile rifle fire, he fell under the impact of a second enemy grenade but, courageously disregarding painful shoulder wounds, staunchly continued his heroic 1-man assault and charged the second pillbox, annihilating all the occupants. Subsequently returning to his platoon position, he fearlessly traversed his lines under fire, encouraging his men to advance and directing the fire of supporting tanks against other stubbornly holding Japanese emplacements. Held up again by a devastating barrage, he again moved into the open, rushed a third heavily fortified installation and killed the defending troops. Determined to crush all resistance, he led his men indomitably, personally attacking foxholes and spider traps with his carbine and systematically reducing the fanatic opposition until, stepping on a land mine, he sustained fatal wounds. By his outstanding valor, skilled tactics, and tenacious perseverance in the face of overwhelming odds, 1st Lt. Lummus had inspired his stouthearted marines to continue the relentless drive northward, thereby contributing materially to the success of his regimental mission. His dauntless leadership and unwavering devotion to duty throughout sustain and enhance the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.

Discussion from...

Memorial Day 2023: Citation of 1st Lt. Jack Lummus, a Baylor All-American

6,850 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Fre3dombear
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
historian
Though not an Olberman fan, this is good:

stillwaiting
Wow. Wonders never cease. Haven't had a positive feeling about Olbermann in 20 years.
historian
The NY Giants got in on the act as well:

I liked Olbermann's better. I don't think I've ever agreed with him on anything but in his Memorial Day tribute I don't think he said anything I did not agree with.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
This never gets old.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Fre3dombear
Olberman turned into a really bitter angry leftist
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.