Story Poster
Baylor Football

Senior Profile: Change could prove to be beneficial for Jamie Jacobs

July 19, 2018

Previous: Chris Platt | Xavier Jones | Blake Blackmar

Jamie Jacobs is looking to finish his collegiate career on top while doing so on the opposite side of the ball. The fifth-year senior and Waco native, Jacobs has officially made the switch from defensive end to tight end, debuting his new position in the 2018 Green and Gold game.

As a sophomore in 2016, Jacobs played in all 13 games at DE, starting in the season-opener vs. Northwestern State with four tackles and two quarterback hurries. In that same season, he also tallied three tackles and tied career-high two solo stops vs. TCU.

Try SicEm365 Premium for $1.00!

Last season, Jacobs played at DE in nine games with ten tackles on season. A mid-season injury prevented him from playing against West Virginia and Oklahoma State.

As for the position switch, Matt Rhule and Jacobs both agree that this is a smart move. Jacobs is listed at 6-foot-3 and 243 pounds and his basketball background just down the road at Midway High School should be at least some what beneficial. During the 2018 Green and Gold game, Jacobs caught an eight-yard TD pass and earned the most improved-offense award. He is one of many seniors that are trying to make a good impression on the younger guys on the roster.

“We [seniors] need to take the initiative and get these young guys to actually do it [perform],” Jacobs said in the post-spring game press conference. “If you’re not doing the right technique now, you won’t do it in the fall.”

Jacobs is majoring in Heath, Kinesiology, and Leisure Studies.

Senior Season Expectations

Antonia’s Thoughts: I think the move of Jacobs to TE is along the same lines of thought as the move of Blake Lynch from WR/CB to Safety. Coach Rhule seems to recognize that the body type and natural abilities, of these two players in particular, can be utilized in order to aid this team in areas they have previously been weak. I believe Jacobs will adapt quickly and become an asset in key situations this fall.

If tight end Coach Joey McGuire’s words are any indication, Jacobs has even more potential skill in this position.

“He’s got phenomenal feet,” said Coach McGuire after a spring practice at McLane Stadium. “He’s a defensive end so he’s explosive off the ball and that’s going to help.”

Like every change to a new position, I believe it will take a little time to fine tune all the adjustments especially minor details. Jacobs has the talent and I am eager to see how he performs throughout the season. Furthermore, I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw Jacobs at the defensive end position for key plays, as he and coaches have alluded to keeping him primed at all times.

Discussion from...

Senior Profile: Change could prove to be beneficial for Jamie Jacobs

4,119 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.