Story Poster
Baylor Football

Senior Profile: McClendon looking to contribute as grad transfer

August 28, 2018

Previous: Chris Platt | Xavier Jones | Blake Blackmar | Jamie Jacobs | Greg Roberts | Patrick Lawrence | Josh Malin | Drew Galitz | Verkedric Vaughns | Christian Beard | Trevor White

Graduate transfer Jalan McClendon is the oldest quarterback the Bears have on the roster. However, don’t let the age advantage fool you; there is still a competition to be held.

Transferring from N.C. State to Baylor for an  “opportunity to play," McClendon has played in 20 games in his career and has a 55.3 percent completion rate.

In his last season at N.C. State, McClendon played in just 3 games. He completed 2-of-3 passes for 17 yards and rushed 6 times for 67 yards including a touchdown against Furman.

As a sophomore, McClendon saw action in 10 games and was N.C. State’s fourth leading rusher. He was responsible for 3 touchdowns (2 rushing, 1 passing) in three plays in the first three quarters of a game against Old Dominion. In his redshirt freshman season, McClendon played in seven games and was responsible for two scores at South Alabama.

At West Mecklenburg High School, McClendon threw for over 1,700 yards as a junior and senior, was rated four stars by 247Sports and ESPN, and ranked the No. 12 pro-style quarterback in the nation.

When deciding to transfer from N.C. State after getting his degree, McClendon was able to see the process through different eyes.

“It was like getting recruited out of high school again,” he told reporters in his media debut after practice on August 11th. “Guys usually get caught up in the scenery, the stadium, seeing everything, but, for me, it was just the football aspect. Which option will be the best for me?”

Jalan McClendon is from Charlotte, North Carolina, and graduated from N.C. State in May 2018. He is currently pursuing a graduate degree in Sports Ministry from Truett Seminary at Baylor.

Antonia’s Thoughts: I think Jalan McClendon brings much needed maturity to the quarterback position. Yes, Charlie played last year and found his way eventually, and I think he’ll put up a fight in the quarterback competition. Right now, McClendon is projected to be backup to Charlie Brewer but that doesn’t mean he won’t get his reps in as far as opportunity to play is concerned.

McClendon’s assets lie in his ability to run the football. Charlie bests him in completion percentage, but his build can create worry upon contact. I think a lot of who the starting quarterback will be will come down to how much they have improved over the summer, how the offensive line has improved with added depth, and what defense they are up against in each match up. I do expect McClendon and Brewer both to get reps in this season and for Gerry Bohannon to utilize the new redshirt rule.

Discussion from...

Senior Profile: McClendon looking to contribute as grad transfer

3,859 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Michibear
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess this completes the trade; NC State got Al Freeman in hoops and Baylor gets Jalan McClendon
Michibear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MrGolfguy said:

I guess this completes the trade; NC State got Al Freeman in hoops and Baylor gets Jalan McClendon
This works only if McClendon scores the same number of points this season as Freeman did last season at NC State - 530 points.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.