Football
Sponsored by

McCaw: Briles will be Largely Exonerated, Coaching Again Soon

30,849 Views | 218 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by xiledinok
Big12Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ex-baylor-ad-believes-art-briles-will-be-largely-exonerated-and-a-coaching-candidate-next-season/

From Dennis Dodd:

Art Briles will be "largely exonerated" and available to coach again at the FBS level after next season, his former boss at Baylor told CBS Sports.
Liberty athletic director Ian McCaw predicts that, following an ongoing NCAA investigation at Baylor, "[Briles] will be in the 2019 hiring cycle."
Previously Baylor's athletic director, McCaw hired Briles in 2008. Briles led the Bears to unprecedented success over the next eight years, winning two Big 12 titles and posting four seasons of 10+ wins.
Briles was fired in May 2016 in the wake of an investigation of a sexual assault scandal on the campus. McCaw resigned shortly after the results of the investigation were released. He had been at the school since 2003. Briles eventually settled his contract with Baylor for $15 million. McCaw was hired at Liberty in November 2016.
"I think he's going to get largely exonerated," McCaw said of Briles. "I think people right now are saying, 'Holy cow, he's implicated in [covering up] all these sexual assaults and so forth.' I think the truth is going to be he comes out of the NCAA stuff clean."

Briles is currently in Italy coaching the Guelfi Firenze adult league team. Two of his former Baylor players are on the team, according to McCaw.
McCaw criticized the school's investigation of the scandal in a deposition obtained last year by the Waco Tribune. He said then there was a "conspiracy of regents" to downplay a more campus-wide sexual assault problem.
In a statement released in response at the time, Baylor said McCaw had "numerous, factually baseless assertions" in the depositions.
McCaw told CBS Sports: "As more information comes out on the Baylor scandal, they're going to find out [Briles] was scapegoated for a much larger campus wide problem and the failings were in the police department and across campus which is what I know to be the case."

The NCAA sent Baylor a formal notice of allegations in October 2018. In it, the association alleged a lack of institution control and failure by Briles to promote an atmosphere of compliance. That means Baylor could be subject to major sanctions.
Sources told CBS Sports that the Briles camp remains optimistic about the outcome of the NCAA investigation.
"I'm not concerned [about the NCAA investigation]. I'm not involved in it but it seems like it's been an ongoing conversation," current Baylor coach Matt Rhule told CBS Sports last week.
McCaw made three points to support his assertions.
  • A report commissioned by Baylor in 2014 -- two years before the scandal broke -- did not mention football. The report concluded the school was lacking in Title IX and Clery Act compliance. Title IX is the 47-year federal law prohibits discrimination, based on gender, by any educational institutional that receives federal funding. The Clery Act requires campuses to disclose campus crime statistics and security information.
  • McCaw also mentioned there was no football mentions in a series of lawsuits against Baylor by plaintiffs referred to as "Jane Doe."
  • In that deposition referenced earlier, McCaw said he was "disgusted at that point with the regents, the racism, the phony finding of fact." McCaw told CBS Sports: "It's becoming more clear there may have been an attempt [in Baylor's investigation] to target black football players."
Baylor responded with the following statement: "Per the NCAA process, we are prohibited from making any public comments related to the investigation."
BoonDockSaint
Here

We

Go
PartyBear
It will be shxtty if Briles is exonerated but we are hammered because of our Regents and their conduct.
Stranger
When did Ian wash the stench off his own hands?
I'm a Bearbacker
BearFan33
Purge of regents to follow? From everything I read during the scandal it looks like many if not all of them need to go. They played a large role in the debacle that cost the school untold millions of dollars.
RegentCoverup
McCaw on the other hand will be seen as the most inept AD in the United States.
RegentCoverup
Stranger said:

When did Ian wash the stench off his own hands?
Exactly. He doesn't know what story to tell.

The guy is clueless. I don't know of many universities that are going to say to themselves, "I guess that rape conviction was an aberration," and want to take a chance on an AD that didn't take steps to get involved and control players.
REX
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

McCaw on the other hand will be seen as the most inept AD in the United States.

Long nights ahead for you, X and milli
JohnProctor
Consider my fingers crossed the truth comes out with some fanfare.
CoastalBear
If the problem was university-wide, and Briles/football are only involved because the regents scapegoated them, then how is this even under the NCAA's jurisdiction? I thought the NCAA was there to ensure that all programs were on equal footing and that none had an unfair advantage over the other (yeah, right). How does a university-wide sex scandal create an unfair advantage? If Briles is guilty of creating an environment not concerned with compliance, can the NCAA point to specific instances where Baylor football was non-compliant with NCAA rules?

Ian said, "As more information comes out on the Baylor scandal, they're going to find out [Briles] was scapegoated for a much larger campus-wide problem, and the failings were in the police department and across campus which is what I know to be the case."

If the NCAA found a lack of institutional control, then we might have significant sanctions waiting for us (unless complete self-destruction satisfies them). What could those sanctions look like? Bowl bans? Vacating conference championships? Loss of scholarships? All of the above?

Legitimate questions.
BellCountyBear
From strictly a football perspective, I think it would be good for Baylor Football if Briles was exonerated. The NCAA can keep its ****ing nose out of it beyond that.
xiledinok
Ian is a loser.

Rex, no school will associate with Art.
He will never be relevant again.
I would never lose sleep over something that is over and I have no control.
Malbec
CoastalBear said:

What could those sanctions look like? Bowl bans? Vacating conference championships? Loss of scholarships? All of the above?

Legitimate questions.
Matt Rhule says:
Quote:

"I'm not concerned..."

REX
xiledinok said:

Ian is a loser.

Try to remain calm
Redbrickbear
You would think any true Baylor alumni would won't everyone who is innocent exonerated.

A few here seem only interested in making it a Baylor football issue and making Briles the anti-Christ.

They have alot in common with the low IQ freaks over on texags.
xiledinok
REX said:

xiledinok said:

Ian is a loser.

Try to remain calm

There's nothing worse than a screw up in the middle of things having his daddy post online.
You should probably bury the rest of your body.
Can you please ask Ian to come up with new material? He could at least enlighten us. The same lies get old.
Redbrickbear
[He said then there was a "conspiracy of regents" to downplay a more campus-wide sexual assault problem.]

I mean wasn't this common knowledge?

Those Regents who were not in the super secret cool kids club section of the Board were told they had better make it about football or the school would burn.

Only a handful of Regents actually went to Philly and heard the report.
coldhardtruth
This article brings to light no new facts and no new information. It was written by a hack who wanted to let everyone know that "Ian has an opinion" but no evidence to prove anything he said is factual. All this does is allow Briles to be interviewed at Liberty because "Ian has a feeling".
You best remember me my friend
I am the cold hard truth
-George Jones
RegentCoverup
Ian should be worried about explaining away the players that had to be kicked off.

Liberty may have glossed over that, but other schools won't turn a blind eye.
xiledinok
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Ian should be worried about explaining away the players that had to be kicked off.

Liberty may have glossed over that, but other schools won't turn a blind eye.

He was the Forrest Gump of college athletics. Eventually, he was exposed as a weakling.
Stan Mikita
I will pray for justice to be done.

I mean that. For example, Former Baylor University Board of Regents Chairman Richard Willis (2013-2016) has moved to France. That might not be far enough away by the time it's all said and done.
chorne68
I said from day one the he was scapegoated. That said...I hope this goes away quickly and we can get the mess behind us. I am sick of it. There are regents that are new and are ones who voted against the majority so it will be hard to know who should go, but they are responsible for the greatest stain on Baylor's reputation in history and should be looked on is disgust.
Doc Holliday
PartyBear said:

It will be shxtty if Briles is exonerated but we are hammered because of our Regents and their conduct.
Probably will happen that way.
Aberzombie1892
coldhardtruth said:

This article brings to light no new facts and no new information. It was written by a hack who wanted to let everyone know that "Ian has an opinion" but no evidence to prove anything he said is factual. All this does is allow Briles to be interviewed at Liberty because "Ian has a feeling".

This. This article says nothing at all.
BoonDockSaint
Gee. Only 1 football player was convicted and sent to prison...

Has any other Baylor student been convicted of rape and sentenced to prison ??
BearFan33
Some in the country were pissed off about college rape and baylor was the scapegoat for that anger. They get an assist from our board of regents, a media that hates Christians, and a couple of dumbasses on the football team.
YoakDaddy
Stan Mikita said:

I will pray for justice to be done.

I mean that. For example, Former Baylor University Board of Regents Chairman Richard Willis (2013-2016) has moved to France. That might not be far enough away by the time it's all said and done.

Prolly a pretty good market for dildos and vibrators over there. Adios to that bush league clown.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
This thread has been quite entertaining and predictable. The thread title is like one of those big electric bug zappers on the back patio.

BBBZZZZZZZTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Banned BarleyMcDougal
Stan Mikita said:

Former Baylor University Board of Regents Chairman Richard Willis (2013-2016) has moved to France. That might not be far enough away by the time it's all said and done.
I'm trying to find the words to describe what I think about this. Can't. Can't do it. Somebody help me out.

What the f...
xiledinok
Ian is a defendant related to what took place.
What would you expect him to say?
The race card is all Ian can throw out.
We all knew it was desperation when they had Phil Bennett speaking out. The El Chico will be remembered for telling alumni at the chicken dinner that Sam U had a few issues to clear up. The moron told the alumni that he would start. I would have thought Bennett would have had a plan B. He must have not realized things could have gone wrong - those darn rape charges.
Doc Holliday
xiledinok said:

We all knew it was desperation when they had Phil Bennett speaking out. The El Chico will be remembered for telling alumni at the chicken dinner that Sam U had a few issues to clear up. The moron told the alumni that he would start. I would have thought Bennett would have had a plan B. He must have not realized things could have gone wrong - those darn rape charges.
A group of regents who tried to downplay a school wide problem and save their own asses sounds 100x more plausible than a football staff that just stood by and was perfectly ok with Rape.

The truth will come out and you won't like it.
whiterock
Doc Holliday said:

xiledinok said:

A group of regents who tried to downplay a school wide problem and save their own asses sounds 100x more plausible than a football staff that just stood by and was perfectly ok with Rape.

The truth is already out and so many people here refuse to see it.

The Pepper Hamilton Report identified a systemic failure of institutional control over Title IX compliance by administration and governance elements, so we cleaned out our Athletics chain of command, knowing that the public would be inclined to see the scandal as a football problem rather than a university-wide problem with administration and governance, the latter being an existential threat to the university and the former being a minor PR problem.

xiledinok
Doc Holliday said:

xiledinok said:

I ve read enough of your posts to know you are gullible.
Where's Art to stand up for himself and go on the talking head circuit to promote his innocence?
The truth is out and News Corp. and the Wall Street Journal printed it.
We all understand that the school was mismanaged while the athletic department didn't do their jobs and make adult decisions.
Eball
The bigger questions are not old battles but how this news if true affects BU football going forward.

If true that CAB is not hit then that is good for the program right?
Why would IAN stick his neck out and give an interview now months away from the actual ruling by the NCAA?
Just let it play out...he has to be pretty sure of what he speaks would you not think?

Are there really BU fans who hope CAB never coaches again? You may believe he won't but you actually believe he should not?
Dman
xiledinok said:

Best quote I've seen in years. You've spent literally years, pages after pages (current threads as we speak), hundreds if not thousands of posts, an untold amount of your time/life telling us how much you "don't care about Briles". You, THEE, and a few other simpletons are obsessed.

He owns you. It's literally a guarantee that you will spend years more obsessed over Briles.

Will this thread cause the BoR to send out the bat signal? Does it trigger Keyser to come represent and earn that check? It's convenient when he shows up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.