Story Poster
Photo by Colt Barber
Baylor Football

Promotions given as Joey McGuire is named Baylor's Associate Head Coach

February 6, 2019

On Wednesday during Matt Rhule’s National Signing Day press conference, Baylor head coach Matt Rhule released the latest information regarding his assistant coaches following the departure of Associate Head Coach and defensive assistant Fran Brown. 

Former tight ends coach Joey McGuire has been promoted to the Associate Head Coach position and will make the move to the defensive side of the ball. His specific role with the defense has not been determined.

In addition to M

Marcus Satterfield will take over for McGuire at the tight end position, a promotion for Satterfield from an off the field position as the Director of Recruiting. Satterfield was the former head coach at ETSU (2016-2017) and served as the offensive coordinator under Rhule from 2013-2015.

Offensive assistant Frisman Jackson has been named the Passing Game Coordinator. He will take over the role in addition to his responsibilites for the receiver position. Jackson joined the Baylor staff for the 2018 season.

Defensive assistant Mike Siravo has been given the title of Special Teams Coordinator and will also continue working with the linebackers. Siravo arrived at Baylor with Rhule prior to the 2017 season.

Evan Cooper was also given the title of Recruiting Coordinator in addition to his responsibiltes as a defensive assistant. He takes over the position for Siravo who previously held the position.

ASSISTANT COACHES

Joey McGuire, Assoc. Head Coach/Defense

Phil Snow, Defensive Coordinator/Safeties

Jeff Nixon, Co-OC/Running backs

Glenn Thomas, Co-OC/Quarterbacks

Frisman Jackson, Passing Game Coord./Wide Receivers

Mike Siravo, Special Teams Coordinator/Linebackers

Shawn Bell, Offensive Line

Evan Cooper, Cornerbacks/Recruiting Coordinator

Frank Okam, Defensive Line

Marcus Satterfield, Tight Ends

Discussion from...

Promotions given as Joey McGuire is named Baylor's Associate Head Coach

9,772 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mitch Blood Green
GruntTuff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wasn't there a third Texas HS coach who signed on when Rhule arrived? I see Bell and McGuire listed. Did that other guy leave or is he still on the staff and just not listed?

I'm glad to see McGuire get the promotion.
EasyE
GruntTuff said:

Wasn't there a third Texas HS coach who signed on when Rhule arrived? I see Bell and McGuire listed. Did that other guy leave or is he still on the staff and just not listed?

I'm glad to see McGuire get the promotion.

To my understanding, Wetzel is in more of an administrative role off the field.
Jacques Strap
Seems like a big promotion for CJM. Good for him!
EasyE
My theory all along has been that McGuire would be in line for head coach if Rhule were to leave, and this now puts McGuire one step closer in the career path towards the head coaching position.
MilliVanilli
Hope we can keep Wetzel in the mix and that hs admin role off the field isn't unsatisfactory for him.
chorne68
I would be good with McGuire at head coach. He would be great.
YoakDaddy
MilliVanilli said:

Hope we can keep Wetzel in the mix and that hs admin role off the field isn't unsatisfactory for him.

Agree 100%. With his Texas HS and BU knowledge, he's a definite asset.
YoakDaddy
EasyE said:

My theory all along has been that McGuire would be in line for the position if Rhule were to keave, and this now puts McGuire one step closer in the career path towards the head coaching position.

We know CMR is going to the NFL; it's only a matter of time (I don't begrudge anyone for following a professional dream). I'm glad to see a succession plan being executed. McGuire will do well moving up and to another side of the ball. Looks like Bell is staying as a coach on the Oline so that's good too.
Michibear
DanaDane
Can someone interpret this for me. Does this mean he is now basically in charge of the Defense? Is he Snow's eventual replacement in the next year or two when Snow retires?
Russell Gym
DanaDane said:

Can someone interpret this for me. Does this mean he is now basically in charge of the Defense? Is he Snow's eventual replacement in the next year or two when Snow retires?

Snow is in charge of the defense. Associate HC responsibilities vary from staff to staff. Not sure what the breakdown is at BU.
Mitch Blood Green
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.