Football
Sponsored by

The Most Gutsy play by BU Football in history

9,109 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Waco1947
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HunterBear said:

Shakesbear said:

Santana Dotdon swats the CU FG attempt to ice the game 65 yards downfield. Bears recover, and Jeff Ireland kicks the game winner to upset the defending national champs in Boulder. I was there

I never saw a blocked kick travel so far. Wondered what kind of bruise Dotson got from that.

1989 Aggy game they were punting from about their own 35-40, which meant the punter kicked from about the A&M 25-30, James Francis blocked it out of the back of the end zone for a safety on about 2 bounces. Unfortunately it ended up costing us the game: anything shorter we could have fallen on for a TD and we lost by 3.
Johnny Bear
whitetrash said:

HunterBear said:

Shakesbear said:

Santana Dotdon swats the CU FG attempt to ice the game 65 yards downfield. Bears recover, and Jeff Ireland kicks the game winner to upset the defending national champs in Boulder. I was there

I never saw a blocked kick travel so far. Wondered what kind of bruise Dotson got from that.

1989 Aggy game they were punting from about their own 35-40, which meant the punter kicked from about the A&M 25-30, James Francis blocked it out of the back of the end zone for a safety on about 2 bounces. Unfortunately it ended up costing us the game: anything shorter we could have fallen on for a TD and we lost by 3.
I recall that game and that block (Francis blocked it so hard it looked like it was shot out of a gun). That was also one of multiple games during the long winless stretch with the ags between 1985 and 2004 where refs calls made a big difference as well. I also recall it was one of many "Teaff era" games where our defense virtually destroyed the opponent's offense (as I recall the ags had under 160 yards of total offense that day with about 40+ of it coming on one QB scramble play) and we still somehow lost.
PartyBear
I dont know who called it (it was probably and actually appeared to be an off the cuff in the moment decision by RGIII and T Williams) but "the pass" against OU in 11. It landed the Heisman at Baylor and set into motion the success of the years immediately after ( the best stretch in program history) and the national branding of Baylor that is helping Rhule recruit nationally to this day which will hopefully get us back up to at least that level of the the best stretch in history thus far.
KOKQB70
Correct Partybear, but as class of 73, so many memories, geez.
BearTooth
Doak Fields interception to win the 1979 Peach Bowl was a gutsy play.

If you mean the gutsiest play call, it's got to be Morriss 2004 going for 2 against the farmers.

Dave South's radio call:

"It was Zeigler." still makes me smile every time I hear it.
Thee University
BearTooth said:

Doak Fields interception to win the 1979 Peach Bowl was a gutsy play.

If you mean the gutsiest play call, it's got to be Morriss 2004 going for 2 against the farmers.

Dave South's radio call:

"It was Zeigler." still makes me smile every time I hear it.
That int fell into his hands!

Field. Not Fields. Were you thinking of Doak's cousin, DB Howard Fields?
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
BearTooth
As the years pass and what hair I've got left turns gray, my memory doesn't seem to work as well as it once did.

My memory is that Doak intercepted that ball at the end of the Peach Bowl.

If I got that wrong, my apologies!
Thee University
BearTooth said:

As the years pass and what hair I've got left turns gray, my memory doesn't seem to work as well as it once did.

BearTooth you were correct. I always correct folks who say Fields instead of Field. The funny thing was that we did have a DB named Howard Fields from Killeen and then myself from Burnet. One Field and one Fields.

No aplogies needed. That was one of the funnest games I ever played in for the Bears.

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
D. C. Bear
Thee University said:

BearTooth said:

BearTooth you were correct. I always correct folks who say Fields instead of Field. The funny thing was that we did have a DB named Howard Fields from Killeen and then myself from Burnet. One Field and one Fields.

No aplogies needed. That was one of the funnest games I ever played in for the Bears.

It was the first games I remeber listening to on the radio.
BCL79
Thee University said:

BearTooth said:

Yep Doak, that was a really important win in Baylor history. And I was there too! Drove the entire distance in a two car formation. Those Clemson folks were beyond shocked. Good times!
Thee University
2 years later Clemson went undefeated and won the National Championship.
BearTooth
I got the interception right but misspelled your name.

I am getting old!

I saw that game from inside chilly Fulton County Stadium.

That game is one of my favorite games while I was at Mother Baylor.

The other is the next season beating the brakes off of the farmers at kyle field in the rain.

Oh, and Doak Field is the name of the baseball facility at NC State.
Thee University
BearTooth said:

I got the interception right but misspelled your name.

I am getting old!

I saw that game from inside chilly Fulton County Stadium.

That game is one of my favorite games while I was at Mother Baylor.

The other is the next season beating the brakes off of the farmers at kyle field in the rain.

Oh, and Doak Field is the name of the baseball facility at NC State.
Happens a lot.

We are all getting old if we were in Atlanta Fulton County Stadium in 1979.

I've spoken to a large number of Bear fans that attended that game and the vast majority of them say that the Peach Bowl was their favorite.

9 seniors drafted off of that team 2 of which played 8 years in the NFL. 25 members of that team were drafted.
applemacg4
Waco1947 said:

4th and long against OU
Our own 30 yd line.
RG III pitches to Kendall and runs into OU secondary.
Kendall throws a strike in traffic. 1st DOWN!
We go on to win
Can you top it?
RG III to Jones

The best play in Baylor football history, even if they play in Waco for another 100 years.

Topped everything that came before, will top everything that will happen after it.

Hard to believe it has been almost 8 years. Good times.

whitetrash
applemacg4 said:

Waco1947 said:

4th and long against OU
Our own 30 yd line.
We go on to win
Can you top it?
RG III to Jones

The best play in Baylor football history, even if they play in Waco for another 100 years.

Topped everything that came before, will top everything that will happen after it.

Hard to believe it has been almost 8 years. Good times.

Jones, Williams, whatever.

I had never noticed how close Aaron Jones came to shanking the PAT.
BearlyBeloved
Waco1947 said:

4th and long against OU
Our own 30 yd line.
We go on to win
Can you top it?
This indeed is #1.

When I saw the title of the post, this was the very play I thought of. Then I opened the thread, and voila!!

But you leave out how RGIII was hammered as he caught the ball, but still held on tight.

Waco1947
BearlyBeloved said:

Waco1947 said:

4th and long against OU
Our own 30 yd line.
We go on to win
Can you top it?
This indeed is #1.

When I saw the title of the post, this was the very play I thought of. Then I opened the thread, and voila!!

But you leave out how RGIII was hammered as he caught the ball, but still held on tight.

He was indeed hammered.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.