Football
Sponsored by

Xavien Howard

5,083 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cha-Ching!!!

$43mm guaranteed

Xavien (Typo. My bad)
https://overthecap.com/player/xavien-howard/4751/
BaylorOkie
Congratulations, X!

BylrFan
impressive
Dia del DougO
Got paid, bigtime.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
CHP Bear
Excellent!
MilliVanilli
Howard, the very best pro of the Briles era, was a player he didn't coach, irony.

Timbear
Wait a minute! You mean this Briles player wasn't a bad dude?
4th and Inches
Timbear said:

Wait a minute! You mean this Briles player wasn't a bad dude?
only on the field...
Timbear
Hey, Gruvin, are you accusing Xavier of being a bad guy off the field? Tell us what he did before you so cavalierly slander his character. I heard you finally quit beating your wife.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Timbear said:

Hey, Gruvin, are you accusing Xavier of being a bad guy off the field? Tell us what he did before you so cavalierly slander his character. I heard you finally quit beating your wife.
Actually, Tim, you may have misunderstood Gruvin's post. It appears to me that he was defending Xavien's character, saying he was a Bad Dude on the field and a Good Dude off the field.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Banned BarleyMcDougal
MilliVanilli said:

Howard, the very best pro of the Briles era, was a player he didn't coach, irony.
Best? No. Griffin literally carried the Redskins to the playoffs singlehandedly. Howard has turned into a great corner though.
Timbear
Thanks, RD2, sorry Gruvin. Apologies.
xiledinok
The parts were always greater than the sum on defense. Aggy metrics.
BayouCity
BarleyMcDougal said:

Best? No. Griffin literally carried the Redskins to the playoffs singlehandedly. Howard has turned into a great corner though.

False. RG3 had a great rookie season, was benched for his backup, released, picked up by the Browns, released, spent an entire season sitting, and finally picked up by a team destined to make him a career backup. Compare that to Howard who, when healthy, started every game since making the team and was just made the highest paid player in his position. I love what RG3 did and still means to Baylor but their pro careers are no comparison.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
RGIII has the if his knee didn't get shredded component and the if he didn't rush back component and the if his OC and HC didn't make an example of him component

Xavien has had a great career without many of those issues. He's been great since he got his offer.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
BayouCity said:

BarleyMcDougal said:

False. RG3 had a great rookie season, was benched for his backup, released, picked up by the Browns, released, spent an entire season sitting, and finally picked up by a team destined to make him a career backup. Compare that to Howard who, when healthy, started every game since making the team and was just made the highest paid player in his position. I love what RG3 did and still means to Baylor but their pro careers are no comparison.
No. Fact. Yeah, Griffin got hurt. But let's not forget he was ROY, made the Pro Bowl and basically put the crappy Redskins on his back and willed them to the playoffs. Almost everything about the Redskins sucked when RG3 was there, including the still-bad field conditions which caused that injury.

Xavien Howard has one Pro Bowl as a CORNERBACK. That doesn't even compare to what's expected of a QB. Longevity doesn't mean he's the better pro. His contract doesn't even make him the better pro. Griffin's career isn't even over yet. That one season puts RG3 at the head of the class.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Cha-Ching!!!

$43mm guaranteed

Xavien (Typo. My bad)
Fixed the title
LIB,MR BEARS
Brian Ethridge said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Cha-Ching!!!

$43mm guaranteed

Xavien (Typo. My bad)
Fixed the title
Thx!
4th and Inches
Timbear said:

Thanks, RD2, sorry Gruvin. Apologies.
all good! Just meant that X was a bad dude on the field aka really talented corner.
Grizz Air
Happy for Xavien
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
BayouCity
I think you're having a hard time separating fact from opinion. Yes RG3 had a good rookie season and the QB position is harder than playing CB. However, it's a fact that the redskins didn't want RG3 after he recovered from his knee injury. X had injuries and was able to stay on the roster and flourish. If RG3 was the better pro he would have caught up to the speed of the pro game and stayed relevant.

It's a fact that 32 teams passed on RG3 and he sat out for an entire season. Kudos to him for making it back on a roster but you can't count potential future success if he didn't get hurt as facts.

If you don't count longevity or contracts as criteria for what makes a good pro then what else is there? They're both pro bowl players and only X has a legitimate shot at making more pro bowl rosters.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
BayouCity said:

I think you're having a hard time separating fact from opinion. Yes RG3 had a good rookie season and the QB position is harder than playing CB. However, it's a fact that the redskins didn't want RG3 after he recovered from his knee injury. X had injuries and was able to stay on the roster and flourish. If RG3 was the better pro he would have caught up to the speed of the pro game and stayed relevant.

It's a fact that 32 teams passed on RG3 and he sat out for an entire season. Kudos to him for making it back on a roster but you can't count potential future success if he didn't get hurt as facts.

If you don't count longevity or contracts as criteria for what makes a good pro then what else is there? They're both pro bowl players and only X has a legitimate shot at making more pro bowl rosters.
Griffin had offers. He just didn't take them. His career has been a bit on the snakebitten side and that isn't solely from injuries or inability to develop. Shanahan badmouthed him (along with some former teammates) which really ruined his rep around the league. Griffin certainly was a bit of a prima donna, but he took far more blame than necessary, mostly because of his closeness to Dan Snyder.

I think Howard is an awesome CB and I'd say that he and Griffin are about on the same level right now as far as accomplishment. I don't think RG3 is done and it won't surprise me one bit if he lands a starting job somewhere in the future.
danhbaisunwin
That's great news

Texasjeremy
Baylor players in the NFL

Listed in the millions of dollars

2019 SALARIES/BONUSES (Not all guaranteed)
15.29 - Xavien Hoard, CB - DOLPHINS
2.00 - Robert Griffin III, QB - RAVENS
1.63 - Jalen Hurd, WR - 49ERS
0.93 - Jon Weeks, LS - TEXANS
0.72 - Andrew Billings, DL - BENGALS
0.72 - Corey Coleman, WR - GIANTS
0.65 - Spencer Drango, OL - CHARGERS
0.57 - Rico Gathers, TE - COWBOYS
0.51 - Derrek Thomas, CB - SEAHAWKS
0.50 - Blake Blackmar, OL - BEARS
0.50 - Ira Lewis, DL - TEXANS
0.50 - Jalan McClendon, QB - RAVENS
0.50 - Orion Stewart, CB - BUCCANEERS
???? - Bryce Hager, LB - RAMS

CAREER EARNINGS (Through 2018)
29.20 - Robert Griffin III (29), QB
11.48 - Corey Coleman (24), WR
6.64 - Jon Weeks (33), LS
4.84 - Xavien Howard (25), CB
2.46 - Bryce Hager (27), LB
1.96 - Andrew Billings (23), DL
1.31 - Spencer Drango (26), OL
1.10 - Rico Gathers (25), TE
0.09 - Orion Stewart (25) , CB

MONEY LEFT ON CURRENT CONTRACT (NOT ALL GUARANTEED)
76.54 - Xavien Howard (6 years) - DOLPHINS
4.28 - Jalen Hurd (4 years) - 49ERS
4.00 - Robert Griffin (2 years) - RAVENS
1.77 - Derrek Thomas (3 years) - SEAHAWKS
1.76 - Blake Blackmar (3 years) - BEARS
1.76 - Ira Lewis (3 yeas) - TEXANS
1.76 - Jalan McClendon (3 years) - RAVENS
0.93 - Jon Weeks (1 year) - TEXANS
0.72 - Andrew Billings (1 year) - BENGALS
0.72 - Corey Coleman (1 year) - GIANTS
0.65 - Spencer Drango (1 year) - CHARGERS
0.57 - Rico Gathers (1 year) - COWBOYS
0.50 - Orion Stewart (1 year) - BUCCANEERS
LIB,MR BEARS
With the TE situation in Dallas, I hope Rico is still with a team during the coming season. If not, I sure hope he has been smart with his money.
Timbear
Rico doesn't seem to have been very smart with anything, so I doubt he was smart with his money.
RegentCoverup
MilliVanilli said:

he was a system cornerback.
historian
X is a "Bad Dude" in the slang sense if being an awesome athlete. At least the Miami Dolphins think so.

The talking heads at espn think so as well:

Timbear
Who was the DC at Baylor when X was playing here?
MilliVanilli
Timbear said:

A guy that shows you how good Howard really is that he excelled in spite of the coaching.
historian
Timbear said:

Phil Bennett

It seem that some people hate him just because he played for the Aggies.
D. C. Bear
Watched an older 30 for 30 episode recently about professional athletes who made a ton of money but lost it all and more through senseless spending, dishonest agents/financial advisers, and bad investments. I hope that Howard has the level of awareness to recognize that you can lose all of that money and more pretty easily and that he has good and honest advisers.
Timbear
Haven't seen a thread on this, but I think Lovett is now a safety.
LIB,MR BEARS
Timbear said:

it is on the paid side. We are not worthy of that type of info here
D. C. Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Timbear said:

it is on the paid side. We are not worthy of that type of info here
I think his work at safety has been discussed by coaches publicly, but could be mistaken.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.