Football
Sponsored by

California ushers in the death of college sports

14,262 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jorkel
RegentCoverup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fadskier said:

robby44 said:

fadskier said:

robby44 said:

O'Bannon v. NCAA ruled that
NCAA violated antitrust laws.
Yeah, and?

They're a cartel
We disagree. How can a non-profit be a cartel? If schools don't like it, they don't have to join.
As I said, if they want to play sports and make money on a college campuses, the NCAA owns their economic benefit. With no threat of competition.

That's the economic definition of a cartel. It's controlled resources and assets.
fadskier
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

fadskier said:

robby44 said:

fadskier said:

robby44 said:

O'Bannon v. NCAA ruled that
NCAA violated antitrust laws.
Yeah, and?

They're a cartel
We disagree. How can a non-profit be a cartel? If schools don't like it, they don't have to join.
As I said, if they want to play sports and make money on a college campuses, the NCAA owns their economic benefit. With no threat of competition.

That's the economic definition of a cartel. It's controlled resources and assets.
Actually, the NCAA doesn't. The appeals court affirmed the NCAA's treatment of athletes during school as amateurs. What the NCAA doesn't get is the right to their likenesses after graduation. Additionally, they could also go to a non-NCAA school.

A cartel is designed to limit competition and fix prices. Since schools are free to join the NCAA, how is the NCAA limiting competition? How do they fix prices?
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
RegentCoverup
You're lawyering something that's economic.

If i get together with my competition and we make it impossible for anyone else to start a competitor, we have a cartel.

If i want to play football and get a free scholarship, the NCAA demands I enter a clearinghouse and give up all my info. And they determine whether I can or cannot.
Malbec
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

You're lawyering something that's economic.

If i get together with my competition and we make it impossible for anyone else to start a competitor, we have a cartel.

If i want to play football and get a free scholarship, the NCAA demands I enter a clearinghouse and give up all my info. And they determine whether I can or cannot.
If you want to play football and get a free scholarship, you do NOT have to play in the NCAA. There are now and have always been plenty of players in the NFL who did not attend NCAA institutions.
Ursa Baylor
Malbec said:

If you want to play football and get a free scholarship, you do NOT have to play in the NCAA. There are now and have always been plenty of players in the NFL who did not attend NCAA institutions.
Rules regarding profiting from your likeness (or making any money, however small) apply to walk-ons, too. So you would permit non-scholarship, adult athletes to make money however they can, right?
Let's just remove the "scholarship" from the equation, for the sake of argument.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Let's just remove the "scholarship" from the equation, for the sake of argument.
Alright, then every car dealer is offering big endorsement packages to players that include the cost of attendance to the car dealers favorite school.
Illigitimus non carborundum
possible12
LTbear said:

fadskier said:

Both the PAC 12 and the SEC have come out against this law. Also, membership in the NCAA is voluntary. California could just have its own state championship.

Let's see
San Diego State
UCLA
California
Cal Poly
Fresno State
Cal-Davis
Sacramento State
San Jose State

that's some great football there!

My cynical side immediately thought "of course the SEC is against it, they're already paying the players and don't want others to catch up"
In a way, that is a part of this proposal. Cal schools are already bleeding with the 'cost of attendance" add-on voted in. They are behind in team travel, facilities, tv, etc. This is a hail mary political headline grab.

If they get this, next, they could give players a choice: cost of attendance stipend or market yourself. The advantage will be 0 after first year when 99% of players get next to nothing from likeness. 1 super stud with poor advice won't upset the competitive balance. The numbers wanting this will be minimal.

They are scrambling and by 2023 all of this will be moot because it will be closer to the next realignment to get to 50-60 schools. Just political headline grabbing. 2023 is a long way away.
xiledinok
Pro basketball and pro baseball having been doing their best to kill college sports. Plus, the European model for sports outside of football is 100 times more effective than college.
Look at pro basketball, most of the good young ones played overseas.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
I heard on the news last night that the state of Ohio is following California's lead. No way in Hell is
The Ohio State University gonna be put at a recruiting disadvantage! The dominoes are starting to fall.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Jorkel
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I heard on the news last night that the state of Ohio is following California's lead. No way in Hell is
The Ohio State University gonna be put at a recruiting disadvantage! The dominoes are starting to fall.

Word on the street is, Ohio State AD and co do not want to pay the players.
robby44
Pretty Tony addressed this issue years ago on the movie The Mack

"Man, all bxtches are the same, just like my ho's, you know? I keep 'em, broke. If they wake up one morning with some money, they're subject to go crazy. I keep 'em looking good, pretty and all that, but no dough,."
Ursa Baylor
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Alright, then every car dealer is offering big endorsement packages to players that include the cost of attendance to the car dealers favorite school.

I think that's unlikely, but if a local business wants to hire student athletes, I think they should be able to. Or if a company wants to hire a student athlete to be in a movie, I think they should be able to. Or to sign autographs.

Anything that anyone else enrolled in school can do, so should student-athletes.
Thee University
robby44 said:

Pretty Tony addressed this issue years ago on the movie The Mack

"Man, all bxtches are the same, just like my ho's, you know? I keep 'em, broke. If they wake up one morning with some money, they're subject to go crazy. I keep 'em looking good, pretty and all that, but no dough,."
That is what Corky Nelson used to tell us linebackers back in the day.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Jorkel
Ursa Baylor said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

I think that's unlikely, but if a local business wants to hire student athletes, I think they should be able to. Or if a company wants to hire a student athlete to be in a movie, I think they should be able to. Or to sign autographs.

Anything that anyone else enrolled in school can do, so should student-athletes.

True I got a juicy scholarship that paid for 99% of my time at Baylor and then was able to work and receive nice gifts and didn't not get my scholarship revoked. Left baylor with quite a bit a $$$. Though I was responsible and didn't spend it on women and booze like others in their 20's might do.
Thee University
If you think college football, basketball, baseball, etc has an image problem now. Watch corruption, sexual assaults, skipping classes, blowing the $$$$, learning bad financial mgt habits all go out of sight.

This will only widen the gap between the haves and have nots. Prostitution will flourish. Drugs increase. Alcohol flowing. Hookers hooking.

These big paper guys will have a whole posse move in with them leaching and living. It will become a cesspool.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
RegentCoverup
Jorkel said:

Ursa Baylor said:

True I got a juicy scholarship that paid for 99% of my time at Baylor and then was able to work and receive nice gifts and didn't not get my scholarship revoked. Left baylor with quite a bit a $$$. Though I was responsible and didn't spend it on women and booze like others in their 20's might do.
Responsible?

No offense, amigo, those were good years.
RegentCoverup
Thee University said:

If you think college football, basketball, baseball, etc has an image problem now. Watch corruption, sexual assaults, skipping classes, blowing the $$$$, learning bad financial mgt habits all go out of sight.

This will only widen the gap between the haves and have nots. Prostitution will flourish. Drugs increase. Alcohol flowing. Hookers hooking.

These big paper guys will have a whole posse move in with them leaching and living. It will become a cesspool.
I think in 5 programs in the Top 20, it already is.

And I say that because in the 90's it was well known Miami recruits had women waiting for them when they got back to their rooms. Now fast forward to Louisville and Rick Pitino, it's still happening.

You're right, it might expand. But it's not a factor of zero either.

There are simply way too many people exploiting college sports and the athletes are getting a decreasing value.
Jorkel
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Jorkel said:

Ursa Baylor said:

Responsible?

No offense, amigo, those were good years.

Might have been good years for you, but now I'm living my good years in my late 20's buying booze and women.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.