Football
Sponsored by

Baylor ranked #18 in Week 8 AP Poll

5,308 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boognish_bear said:

The SEC has a combined 11-12 record in the last 2 years worth of bowl games....not exactly dominating for the superior conference....but I know the SEC fans will be quick to say their teams don't try in bowl games if it's anything beneath a NY6.
True.

Two responses to SEC fans who think anything less than NY6 is not worthwhile:

1) If they think it's beneath them then why don't they decline the invitation? And if the team is not playing to win, then why bother showing up? If the answer is for the money, the SEC already has boatloads, thanks to ESPN. And what does that say about anyone who is doing the bare minimum in their job just for the money? It shows they don't really care about anyone or anything else. And that's a loser mentality.

2) I doubt the coaches & players are that snobbish & elitist. That would be stupid and invite defeat. Does this mean that an SEC team that has two early losses (& thus not going to a NY6) no longer cares? Is that why so many of them have terrible seasons and are lucky to have only 6-7 wins year in and year out?

Either way, they deserve to lose and we're back to the conclusion that the SEC is not as great as the fans think they are (including those in the media). All that matters is what happens on the field and if the SEC only has Bama to hang their hat on, they are not much of a conference. That's been my view for years because I think it's self-evident.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
MilliVanilli
boognish_bear said:

historian said:

Yes, but there is a strong SEC bias. They often have teams ranked higher than can be justified based upon their current record. Good examples are any time in the past few years that Missouri or South Carolina was ranked. Even now, Georgia is ranked too high considering their loss to a terrible SC team. Auburn is probably also ranked too high although it might be too early to say.

It's similar to the unreasonable expectations for Texas. They beat a bad ND team a few years ago, so "Texas is back, folks!" Even now, with 2 losses they are probably ranked too high.

Even worse, the idiot committee will have the same biases and continue these myths. Supposedly the best teams will get into the playoffs but that's very subjective and does not always happen.

The SEC has a combined 11-12 record in the last 2 years worth of bowl games....not exactly dominating for the superior conference....but I know the SEC fans will be quick to say their teams don't try in bowl games if it's anything beneath a NY6.
Saban's Alabama is a force of nature the last decade, the SEC is their sandbox and so they get to grab those coattails, even though no one else is at their level.
boognish_bear
MilliVanilli said:

boognish_bear said:

historian said:

Yes, but there is a strong SEC bias. They often have teams ranked higher than can be justified based upon their current record. Good examples are any time in the past few years that Missouri or South Carolina was ranked. Even now, Georgia is ranked too high considering their loss to a terrible SC team. Auburn is probably also ranked too high although it might be too early to say.

It's similar to the unreasonable expectations for Texas. They beat a bad ND team a few years ago, so "Texas is back, folks!" Even now, with 2 losses they are probably ranked too high.

Even worse, the idiot committee will have the same biases and continue these myths. Supposedly the best teams will get into the playoffs but that's very subjective and does not always happen.

Saban's Alabama is a force of nature the last decade, the SEC is their sandbox and so they get to grab those coattails, even though no one else is at their level.

All the SEC fans need to start chanting "Bama" during games instead of "SECSECSEC"
historian
MilliVanilli said:

True. No one else is even close. If any of them manages to defeat Bama, it's a lucky break & a fluke (Aggies, Ole Miss, etc).
Redbrickbear
Dnicknames said:

I would rather play in Alamo -where we would pack the house in San Antonio- against a 2nd place Pac12 team.

Playing LSU in a defacto home game for them in the Sugar Bowl...no thank you.
You ALWAYS take the better bowl. The one with more media prestige and more payout money.

Always.
Redbrickbear
boognish_bear said:

MilliVanilli said:

boognish_bear said:

historian said:

All the SEC fans need to start chanting "Bama" during games instead of "SECSECSEC"
Most aggy fans already do.

They ride bama coat tails like you would not believe.

Imagine if instead of hating ut and having nothing but distaste for ou.....we constantly talked them up around the office and drooled over their success.

That is what aggy has been doing for years now......pathetic is not even a word strong enough for them.
historian
Redbrickbear said:

boognish_bear said:

Most aggy fans already do.

They ride bama coat tails like you would not believe.

Imagine if instead of hating ut and having nothing but distaste for ou.....we constantly talked them up around the office and drooled over their success.

That is what aggy has been doing for years now......pathetic is not even a word strong enough for them.
Gold-digging? Whoring?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.