Football
Sponsored by

Rhule sporting old school growling Bear jacket

4,229 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by T-REX
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Grumpy
eBay is a wonderful thing.
PartyBear
I actually remember that jacket from the Reedy era. It wasn't coaches gear or anything. I just remember them at sports shops at malls around 93/94.

Incidentally that is the bear that should be our bear logo. That is the dude who should make a helmet appearance.
historian
It would be great to see that on the helmets for a game!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BellCountyBear
My favorite bear logo!
Wichitabear
Mine too! I kinda like the jacket. For guys.
Media Bear
PartyBear said:

I actually remember that jacket from the Reedy era. It wasn't coaches gear or anything. I just remember them at sports shops at malls around 93/94.

Incidentally that is the bear that should be our bear logo. That is the dude who should make a helmet appearance.
It was during the Teaff era ...
RegentCoverup
You've gotta credit Gold Reaper for bringing that back.
PartyBear
Media Bear said:

PartyBear said:

The Bear was our bear logo from like 69/70 through 97. I was talking about remembering seeing the jackets around 93/94 at some of those places in malls where you could get caps and jackets of some college teams in malls.

Back to the Bear. As I recall a student or faculty member drew him up for the school. It wasn't some marketing firm etc. if my memory is correct. He lasted a pretty long time as the bear logo. Longer than any since and he has been making a return on retro stuff in the past year or two. Quite a legacy for the artist.
Matt in DC
My Brother T Rex was able to arrange the handover last weekend. We got the jackets before the 94 Alamo bowl. They are in great condition due to only wearing them maybe twice a year, due to never being cold enough. #winby1
Changing the culture one road tailgate at a time.
Its ok to attend away games! No really its fun!
Meet me on ROW 1!

muddybrazos
thats a starter jacket circa 92.
Stranger
historian said:

Only if it's a gold hat.

The jacket is from the Teaff era.
whitetrash
muddybrazos said:

Needs a pair of baggy Zubaz sweats to complete the ensemble.
Nick95

My favorite Baylor logo. I had it put on my Yeti 75.

Guess I have to subscribe for the pic to show...
WE ARE GOING TO WIN
McCavebear
I had that Bear decal/ sticker on the 1961 Buick Lesabre I went off to college at Baylor in
McCavebear Lives!
241Bear
muddybrazos said:

Yep. Remember the Super Bowl Cowboys sporting those?
hodedofome
My dad found his vintage George's Bar softball jersey from the 70's and donated it to Sammy at George's since they are friends. Sammy proudly framed it and put it on the wall. Then some jerk stole it. Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen to this jacket.
BUbackerinET
Thoroughly agree
Stranger
PartyBear said:

Media Bear said:

PartyBear said:

The Bear was our bear logo from like 69/70 through 97. I was talking about remembering seeing the jackets around 93/94 at some of those places in malls where you could get caps and jackets of some college teams in malls.

Back to the Bear. As I recall a student or faculty member drew him up for the school. It wasn't some marketing firm etc. if my memory is correct. He lasted a pretty long time as the bear logo. Longer than any since and he has been making a return on retro stuff in the past year or two. Quite a legacy for the artist.

The artist was Joey Taylor who was a student who was known around campus as an artist. It first appeared on a poster for the hype of Bill Beall's first year as Baylor Head Coach.

Joey's bear logo turned out to be the one of the only positive memories of the Beall era. (The other was the great Roger Goree). Fortunately, the logo has survived as the best Bear image ever. Maybe Rhule will talk Baylor into using it instead of the godawful bear painted on the end zone.
Wineguy89
Stranger said:

historian said:

Only if it's a gold hat.

Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
Saddle Up!
Wineguy89 said:

Stranger said:

historian said:

Only if it's a gold hat.

What a clever and original response. Such a powerful, well thought out and presented rebuttal. Persuasive!

Beaneater
Unified.
BearlyBeloved
That jacket looks a size too big for Rhule.

But who am I to question a fashion icon such as CMR !?!
BearFan33
He needs to keep wearing the smock as long as we keep winning. It's OK to wear smock under the coat.
Hotsauce
You were NOTHING in the 90s without a Starter jacket to rep your team.
BearlyBeloved
Also available on ebay:

Better act fast!
ScottS
I have of those jackets and have since the 90s.
BearlyBeloved
Also on ebay: 1949 Baylor letter jacket

That team finished 8-2 and ranked #20 in the country. And beat TCU 40-14.

Maybe we ought to buy this for Coach Rhule. Even if it doesn't fit him, it would be great for his son.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Baylor-University-Letter-Jacket/223650978945?hash=item3412a31c81:g:UGUAAOSwsJddcCtH

Buy It Now for $50

If somebody in Waco wants to buy it and get it to him, I'll chip in $5 via PayPal. Who else?

PartyBear
I'm wondering about the authenticity of that. The letter jackets as far as I remember seeing them just had and still have a B I thought. That looks an awful lot like an interlocking BU which wasn't around until the late 60s. Prior to the late 60s a "B" was what we used as a non bear logo.

It is interesting looking though. Is there any much older poster who can verify that jacket?
OsoCoreyell
GoldReaper said:

My Brother T Rex was able to arrange the handover last weekend. We got the jackets before the 94 Alamo bowl. They are in great condition due to only wearing them maybe twice a year, due to never being cold enough. #winby1
That is so awesome!
TommeEnd
Even though this thread may be a bit dated, style never goes out of style.

inderkumar
This thread is a few years old, but let's take a moment to appreciate Rhule sporting that old school growling Bear jacket. Talk about a timeless classic, right? That jacket is oozing with vintage coolness!
If you're into that throwback style, you should definitely check out matohash.com. They've got an awesome collection of apparel that'll have you rockin' some serious old school vibes. From custom hats to trendy threads, they've got it all covered.
So, whether you're looking to rep your team or simply want to elevate your fashion game, matohash.com is the place to be. Trust me, their gear is on another level.
historian
NM
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
T-REX
inderkumar said:

This thread is a few years old, but let's take a moment to appreciate Rhule sporting that old school growling Bear jacket. Talk about a timeless classic, right? That jacket is oozing with vintage coolness!
We stay rocking it! Still own all 5 of them including the one I gave rhule which I got back right after he left Baylor....& the 2 game used chrome helmets they gave me in exchange for the jacket. Got the money & the product lol
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.