Story Poster
Matt Rhule Smoaky
Matt Rhule
JT Woods
Ross Matiscik
Chris Platt
Baylor Football

Game Day Thread: Baylor (8-0) at TCU (4-4)

November 8, 2019

The Baylor Bears (8-0) hit the road to Fort Worth to take on the Texas Christian University Horned Frogs (4-4) on Saturday morning at Amon G. Carter Stadium. Kickoff is set for 11:00 A.m. CT and will be aired live on FS1.

Baylor vs. Texas Christian University Articles

Title Author
TCU Prediction and Offensive Preview Sam Bradshaw
What CFP Chair Rob Mullens said about Baylor Grayson Grundhoefer
Matt Rhule teleconference recap Colt Barber
Positives after WVU J.J. Joe
Gary Patterson teleconference recap Colt Barber
The FRO: Injuries, recruiting and facilities  Staff
Limiting Jalen Reagor and TCU’s offense J.J. Joe
TCU’s 4-2-5 defense Sam Bradshaw
TCU statistical preview Sam Bradshaw
Weekly 1-on-1 interview with Matt Rhule David Smoak

DEPTH CHART | SCHEDULE | BIG 12 STANDINGS | COACHING STAFF

Matt Rhule Quote of the Week...

“Maturity, I mean, they like those games, I mean, I think in all these close games we’re pretty even with those teams. I like to learn from older coaches and I listened to Coach Patterson, he said something like, ‘we are just good enough to beat everybody and we are just good enough to lose to everybody.’ And if you’ve listened to what I say in the press conference at the beginning of the year I say I think we have a chance to beat everyone on our schedule and I think every team has a chance to beat us. I think we are a team that isn’t going to overwhelm you early. We are not there yet. I would like to get there, but we are not where we can just roll the balls out there and be up 28-0. We are going to have to show grit and fight and try to wear you down. We are going to keep it close, keep it close and then in the second half when the other team maybe gets tired, we are a pretty conditioned, pretty tough team and our offensive line now, most of our sacks were early, the first three drives were atrocious and then once we kind of kept staying with it, we can protect a little bit more, hold on a little bit more and then our guys get to the fourth quarter and that was our first fourth quarter shutout, which is a big thing we talk about but we haven’t really done it this year.

Baylor’s Key Players

Quarterback #12 Charlie Brewer — Of course the QB1 for the Bears is going to be one of the key players in a road matchup in the biggest rivalry matchup of the season for both teams.

Wide Receiver #5 Denzel Mims — His connection with Brewer is going to be key in this one. For large junks of the game he will be covered by and All Big 12 caliber corner in Jeff Gladney so the chances could be limited.

Defensive linemen #98 Chidi Ogbonnaya and #90 TJ Franklin — Obviously if Bravvion Roy doesn’t play then these two are even more important but I think they will play a critical role regardless. Both have played a ton and gained valuable experience but they will need to continue growing down the stretch with Roy and Gabe Hall both banged up. 

Safety #15 Christian Morgan — It’s time! Morgan has had a rough year so far filled with injuries and limited playing time. He is finally starting to get back on track and the loss of Chris Miller for this game will expand his role. He won’t get the start but I think you will see him rotating in and out more consistently.

Texas Christian University Key Players

Running backs #6 Darius Anderson and #33 Sewo Olonilua — As I mentioned above, the TCU rush offense is 3rd in the Big 12 averaging 220 yards per game. If they get that number they will be in good shape to win this game.

Wide receiver #1 Jalen Reagor — It doesn’t matter who plays quarterback because whoever it is will be searching for this guy. He has 32 receptions for 454 yards and four touchdowns. He also makes an impact in the punt return game where he is averaging 18.4 yards per return.

Defensive tackles #90 Ross Blacklock and #94 Corey Bethley — The two big fellas in the middle anchor a defense that is 3rd in the conference in rush yards allowed per game. They would be number one if they didn’t get gashed for 300 yards against Oklahoma State last weekend.

Discussion from...

Game Day Thread: Baylor (8-0) at TCU (4-4)

80,172 Views | 880 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CHP Bear
Asheville Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sic 'em sic 'em sic 'em. Just win baby.
MrGolfguy
Just win Bears!
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
saucebob
For those of you with directv the guide is showing the game is also on channel 106 in 4K.
BaylorRocks
I appreciate these interviews and pressers being posted. I do. But I'm sorry, I can't help but get growingly perturbed with the (well) below average questions that come from the small-market journalists. Some are really, really bad and feel like they're just trolling for a reaction and a hot take.

Sorry.

Sic'em
Dealpfffdeal
Lomers with the tip

I'm nervous
GABear78
I hope we are focused and take one play at a time. Offense needs to start early. Can't afford a slow start. Would love to see our defense set the tone of the game early too. This should be brutal! I just rewatched the 1985 Chicago Bears 30 for 30 doc so feeling some aggression on the defensive side of the ball.

Sicem!
StatMan
It's now officially Baylor Football Game Day! Baylor seeks to defeat TCU in football for the first time since 2014. The last Baylor win in Fort Worth was in 2013. There have been many memorable meetings between the Baylor Bears and TCU Horned Frogs in previous years. GO BEARS BEAT THE HORNED FROGS IN FORT WORTH!
william

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating whole grain muffins }

- BUmma

BearlyConscious
Any update on the status of Galvin and Roy for today's game?
jdrs
Actually thankful for an early start. Glad I don't have to wait (and stress) all day to see us Stomp the Frogs!
MommaBear
Kick-off in 5 minutes and about 2/3 of stadium is empty. BUGWB IN 4TH level.
JumboShrimper
Time to end this losing skid to the frogs and head to 9-0.
DST
**** TCU. Let's beat 'em.
GABear78
Let's go D
BellCountyBear
Looks like Roy is not out there.
jdrs
Whew! Can't believe that guy dropped that pass. Thank goodness
jdrs
Better to hold them to a field goal than a td
tpj1991
JT Woods needs to step up, two big misses on that drive
BellCountyBear
I think this is the first game we haven't forced a 3 and out on first drive.
CTbruin
Not a good start. Lucky it's not 7-0
DST
Big play cost us points, but our guys are flying around to the ball.
Alf
Dropped passes was a huge part of our defensive success last week too
SIC EM 94
BellCountyBear said:

I think this is the first game we haven't forced a 3 and out on first drive.

Correct
Baylorbears111
Can't believe their QB can throw these dimes with a jacked up bandaged middle finger on his throwing hand.
Illinois Bear
Hopefully we can establish the run early.
GABear78
Must respond
Jorkel
Uh oh...man with a taped middle finger is throwing pretty good balls! I was so wrong about the 5 total passes thrown
303Bear
Well that's a terrible first play.
303Bear
O-line looks like its in quicksand so far.
DST
o-line i swear
CTbruin
Our LT is not good
CorsicanaBear
Slow starts all year, this one may kill us.

Bailed out of rotten first series by hands to the face.
Illigitimus non carborundum
303Bear
Welp... I will take it. Thank you refs! (cant believe I just typed that)
Mitch Henessey
Looks like we're back to another weekend of being disappointed by Baylor sports
CorsicanaBear
Caught and dropped.
Illigitimus non carborundum

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.