Football
Sponsored by

Weak Link

3,423 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
cool34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our play calling is pathetic, we need to make a change
Forest Bueller
cool34 said:

Well, actually a great call on the incomplete pass that should have been a TD if not for a weak pass.
BUGWBBear
Happy Go Fun Football doesn't believe in adjustments. Lincoln Riley does. That's how he's whipping our butts right now.
BellCountyBear
It's the oline you dolts!
bear2be2
BellCountyBear said:

This. This. This.

You can always tell the dumb football fans by those who see a play go poorly and immediately blame the coordinator or the quarterback. No play (save the running back screen) is designed to have defenders in the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped. That was the case as often as not today.

It's truly a minor miracle that we were in that game to the finish. That was accomplished with pure grit and toughness.
GrowlTowel
bear2be2 said:

BellCountyBear said:

This. This. This.

You can always tell the dumb football fans by those who see a play go poorly and immediately blame the coordinator or the quarterback. No play (save the running back screen) is designed to have defenders in the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped. That was the case as often as not today.

It's truly a minor miracle that we were in that game to the finish. That was accomplished with pure grit and toughness.

A summation for the ages. Nothing else need be written about this game.

Blue star.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
canoso
BellCountyBear said:

Meanwhile, our current recruiting class lists 9 defensive players and 4 offensive players, an entire 2 of which are OL.
CoachHBU2008
GrowlTowel said:

bear2be2 said:

BellCountyBear said:

This. This. This.

A summation for the ages. Nothing else need be written about this game.

Blue star.

This is true. But it's a little more nuanced. The O line didn't give any of the quarterbacks any time. With that said, the play calling could have helped them. OU sent stunts and blitzes. When that happens you have to help the qb and the line by calling screens to the running backs to slow down the pass rush.

There were a couple of plays that believe more anticipating play calling would have helped tremendously. The 3rd down and 3 in the red zone after the big play by Zeno to Platt. Instead of staying in center drop back they role Zeno right, cutting the field in half and making the play easy for OUs defense to key in on. Would have liked that to be a drop back pass with full field options. May be would've allowed him to scramble for the first.

Another decision that could have kept OU off balance was Zeno in the run game. It became predictable and OU did not anticipate run from the qb position. They had a spy when Bohannon was in. After Zeno came in they removed the spy.

OU first decided to put 8 men in coverage to see if they could confuse the true freshman. After getting beat twice by Zeno who carved the zone up like a 4 year qb, they decided in overtime to just bring pressure and play on the O-line our true weakness. This is where I would have liked to see qb run. Like I said they had no spy. A qb run by Zeno would have killed the D that was blitzing their safeties. This is why the RPO game didn't work. Zeno at no point of time was a threat to run. That essentially was the game in overtime.

So yeah it was the line. But the line could've been helped a little bit and protected by some tweaks to the play calling.

But this has been an amazing season. Our boys played hard. Nothing to have our heads down about. If you didn't think this team was for real, they nearly won the big XII championship with a 3rd string true freshman qb. Regardless of how much better offensive play calling can improve, the heart of this team is grit, discipline and physicality. I rather have those first and work the kinks out later. This team will be good for a long time. I trust the process. Congrats Bears fans. This team has made us all proud!
Quinton
Bear2, it's both. The play calling is just okay as you know. The o-line is pretty poor. There were a number of play calls to adjust for a weak o line. We have solid play design but a lot of it is made assuming a solid line. When they started to fold you throw more hb set-ups. Quick hits/screens. Part of play calling is acknowledging your o-line was playing terribly
Quinton
CoachHBU2008
Compounding said:

Bear2, it's both. The play calling is just okay as you know. The o-line is pretty poor. There were a number of play calls to adjust for a weak o line. We have solid play design but a lot of it is made assuming a solid line. When they started to fold you throw more hb set-ups. Quick hits/screens. Part of play calling is acknowledging your o-line was playing terribly

Correct. Or at the very least slow down the onslaught that the OU defense had with the blitzes. OU truly was a one trick pony. They knew their defensive back field was suspect and when our qbs did get time, our receivers got behind them. Most of being a good play caller is not the scheme, which is a multiple offense that is starting to grow on me (love that play design that Platt nearly housed), but calling plays that answers what the defense is trying to present while hiding your own deficiencies. The only problem that I have had all season is our in ability to handle the nuances of offensive play. Something an experienced coach like Snow has proven is necessary to be elite. This is the difference from being a guy who calls plays and an true play caller.
CutTheTVoff
bear2be2 said:

BellCountyBear said:

This. This. This.

I like your argument but things started working in q4 - same o-line. Different results. Suggests poor play calling in much of the game.

CMR himself has said the offensive play calling is intentionally not aggressive early because games are won in the 4th. He told the GameDay crew in November that BU would start fast for a change and look, they scored 31 points in the first half....against OU!

Play calling is questionable with this offense. I know CB needs better protection. That will come I hope.
CutTheTVoff
Mitch Blood Green
canoso said:

BellCountyBear said:

Meanwhile, our current recruiting class lists 9 defensive players and 4 offensive players, an entire 2 of which are OL.

Maybe it's time to get an experienced OLine coach?
LIB,MR BEARS
tommie said:

canoso said:

BellCountyBear said:

im guessing that DeLeon retires for health reasons, Bell is reassigned and a new OLine Coach is brought in.
canoso
tommie said:

canoso said:

BellCountyBear said:

Shawn Bell is a very fine young man and we are blessed to have him. That said, I wish he were our QBs coach instead.
Mitch Blood Green
canoso said:

tommie said:

canoso said:

BellCountyBear said:

Shawn Bell is a very fine young man and we are blessed to have him. That said, I wish he were our QBs coach instead.

It's not an issue of his values.
bear2be2
CutTheTVoff said:

bear2be2 said:

BellCountyBear said:

This. This. This.

I like your argument but things started working in q4 - same o-line. Different results. Suggests poor play calling in much of the game.

CMR himself has said the offensive play calling is intentionally not aggressive early because games are won in the 4th. He told the GameDay crew in November that BU would start fast for a change and look, they scored 31 points in the first half....against OU!

Play calling is questionable with this offense. I know CB needs better protection. That will come I hope.
Things didn't start working. We hit two big plays. That's it.

Those also happened to be about the only two times any of our three quarterbacks had time to stand tall in the pocket and deliver a strong, confident throw. It's funny how those things work.

If you want to see what a clean pocket looks like watch LSU play and count how many seconds Joe Burrow gets to find a receiver and make a throw most plays. The contrast between that and what our quarterbacks experience most downs is striking.
Pecos 45
cool34 said:

Please submit your resume.
There are several colleges that need your football acumen.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Wineguy89
BUGWBBear said:

Happy Go Fun Football doesn't believe in adjustments. Lincoln Riley does. That's how he's whipping our butts right now.

Another of your great takes!!!! Pure and insightful genius. You need to self ban until 2027 as you are a weak link around here.
LIB,MR BEARS
Wineguy89 said:

BUGWBBear said:

Another of your great takes!!!! Pure and insightful genius. You need to self ban until 2027 as you are a weak link around here.
Nothing beats a French horn!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.